30WCF first shots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

30WCF first shots

Post by Aussie Chris »

Havnt been down to the range yet but went out early this morning to look for some wabbits with a mate. No joy but I took my old 1894 in 30WCF to see how she shoots.

I loaded up some rounds a couple of weeks back with ADI trail boss powder, the cowboy action crowd love this stuff. I loaded up 20 rounds, the first 5 with starting loads of 6.5gns, then 5x at 7.0gns, 5x at 8.0 gns and 5x 9.0 gns max load. Used 165gn casties with rem brass and primers.

The max load velocity in the manual with a 24'' barrel is 1,195fps, so pretty slow!

I couldnt beleive the lack of recoil and it the lower loads sounded like a 22LR!

We found a dumped Falcon bonnet (hood for you yanks) and decided to use it as a target from resting on the car at a range of 55m, 60 yards.

The group at the bottom left is 7.0gns, top left is 8.0gns and on the right is 9.0gns. Looks like 8.0gbs is the ticket!

I am glad that at least she shoots ok considering the light pitting and the last 2-3'' of rifling being absent!

Ill give you a proper range report when I get down there eventually.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 30WCF first shots

Post by J Miller »

Chris,

Over the years I've owned and shot Winchesters I've been amazed at how they shoot. The one thing I've learned is you can't judge a barrel by it's appearance. Sometimes they shoot great inspite of looking terrible.

There is something most satisfying about shooting up big pieces of sheet metal. I used to do that to abandoned junk cars in AZ.

Have you tried that rifle with jacketed bullet ammo yet? I'll bet it shoots pretty good when you do.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good stuff! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great looking old rifle.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Joe I have not tried it with jacketed stuff yet , these 20 shots are the first I have put through her.

Do you think it would be a good idea shooting jacketed stuff considering its age, being 113 years old (madis)?
Ive been told to only shoot low cast loads through her but wouldnt mind jacketed stuff as long as it won't do any damage.

Thanks Cash, I love it :mrgreen:

Chris
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The .30WCF was originally a jacketed-bullet load, and the barrel steels were made for it. Shoot jacketed ammo with no worries.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Aussie Chris wrote:Joe I have not tried it with jacketed stuff yet , these 20 shots are the first I have put through her.

Do you think it would be a good idea shooting jacketed stuff considering its age, being 113 years old (madis)?
Ive been told to only shoot low cast loads through her but wouldnt mind jacketed stuff as long as it won't do any damage.

Thanks Cash, I love it :mrgreen:

Chris
Chris,
As Pisgah said the rifle was designed for jacketed bullets. The barrel is made for it. It won't hurt it one bit to shoot them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

two sharp look'n rifles
and for your first time out with her shes shooting pretty good....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Your low velocity is nearly sub-sonic. Did you use ear protection to fire these groups?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Very nice! Thanks for posting.

Keep in mind that you can use standard jacketed bullet load data for your cast bullets - just back-off enough to get around 1900-1950 fps. This is pretty easy with most powders.

It's also pretty easy to get around 1500 fps with pistol powders like Unique and Red Dot - usually around 10 grains does the trick but the peak pressure is the same as the rifle powders that push them to 1900 fps.

Needless to say, the 1900 fps loads are for bigger game - hogs, etc.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Looks like I will load up some jacketed light loads for her.

I was impressed with the first few shots, as Joe said barrel condition didnt effect accuracy in this one.

t.r, I dindt use hearing protection. Didnt need to, there are .22's louder than these loads haha!

Chris
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

You posted just in time. I have been thinking of sending you a PM with a hurry up to see how that 1894 shot!!

Jacketed projectiles may shoot better than lead, it is always going to be fun trying them out anyway.

I have noticed a few posts on this forum where the accuracey improved after a few range trips and a few more shots through the gun. Recently a link to a post regarding an old 1873 in 32-20 reported this.

Maybe you could get a load to shoot minute of rabbit.

Pop Watts.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Yeah finally got around to it Pop! It's a good start accuracy wise and I reckon I could improve it with some decent range time and a proper rest besides the roof of my car :wink:

Shouldnt be too hard for minute of wabbit shooting :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chris,

Don't know if you can get Win 748 but if you can try 34.5grs of it under a 150gr jacketed bullet. I've been using this load for over 30 years and it has been incredibly consistent in over a dozen 30-30s. I use a standard LR primer with it as well.

Joe
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks Joe, ill have to get some 748 and try it out. We can get it here.

Chris