I am an anachronism ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

I am an anachronism ...

Post by J Miller »

I am an anachronism. I don't belong to this time. I don't like modern things (even the computer) and could get along quite nicely without them.
Not to mention I have little use for anything but single action revolvers and lever action rifles. Modern designs have no interest to me.
The designs of all my guns can be traced back to the 1800s.

Quick definitions from Macmillan (anachronism)
noun ▸ something that is no longer suitable for or relevant to modern times

Quick definitions from WordNet (anachronism)
▸ noun: an artifact that belongs to another time
▸ noun: a person who seems to be displaced in time; who belongs to another age
▸ noun: something located at a time when it could not have existed or occurred

Yep, that's me. No wonder I never made my mark in this world.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I am an anachronism ...

Post by Blaine »

Well, I heard you made a mark on the rug.....call Stanly Steamers :lol: Honestly, Joe, I feel that way as a musician. I should have been Fats Waller's or Louis Armstrong's tuba player.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Joe, when ya go to the doc, do ya tell him to break out the laudenum and leaches, or do ya let him use the newfangled ideas?
Certified gun nut
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

J Miller wrote:I am an anachronism. I don't belong to this time. I don't like modern things (even the computer) and could get along quite nicely without them.

Joe
10,374 posts? I wonder...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Through the forum I have learned that Joe is 1 day older than me.
You would think that two guys that close in age would have had simular experiences.
But Joe & I walked widely divergent paths.
Go figure.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I believe many of us here would fit that description. I used to say (think) I was born 100 years too late. I enjoy some of modern technology (radiation treatments for cancer of course!) and metallurgy (fer my guns), but for the most part, I have no use for a lot of it. I don't need to know what happened on the other side of the world 30 seconds after it happens. I don't want the world to have instant access to me (I have a telephone that will only make phone calls) and if I'm going somewhere, I'll get a map. More than anything, I dislike most of today's thinking. I don't want to get into a political rant so I'll not expand on that.

But I would rather have a chunk of steak that was shot with a 30 WCF than a zillion hormones...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

IAAA
(I am an acronym)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mikld wrote:I believe many of us here would fit that description. I used to say (think) I was born 100 years too late. I enjoy some of modern technology (radiation treatments for cancer of course!) and metallurgy (fer my guns), but for the most part, I have no use for a lot of it. I don't need to know what happened on the other side of the world 30 seconds after it happens. I don't want the world to have instant access to me (I have a telephone that will only make phone calls) and if I'm going somewhere, I'll get a map. More than anything, I dislike most of today's thinking. I don't want to get into a political rant so I'll not expand on that.

But I would rather have a chunk of steak that was shot with a 30 WCF than a zillion hormones...
There ya go, that's pretty much what I'm getting at.

joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm another one who might be classed as an anachronism.

My current carreer is as a computer programmer, but my heart isn't
really in it. I'd much rather be an old-time machinist - or a blacksmith -
but those jobs are hard to come by in the USA these days.

The amount of information available on the internet is fantastic, but I'm
not really into all of the latest technology. I love books, and love to read.
Maps and the wall phone at home do me just fine. My commuter bike these
days is a 33-year-old SR500. (Although the latter may change shortly!)

Maybe I'm just getting old, but the pace of life created with technology is
more of a hassle than anything.

-Stretch
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe, you might not be alone here. But, far better to be an anachronism than an expert!

From Griff's dictionary of contrarian terms:
ex·pert (kspûrt)
n.
1. A person with a self-proclaimed high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.
2. A person no longer employed in their field, but rather trrying to obtain a living off past achievements
a. The highest grade that can be achieved in marksmanship.
b. A person who has achieved this grade.
adj. (kspûrt, k-spûrt)
Formerly had, involved, or demonstrated great skill, dexterity, or knowledge as the result of experience or training. See Synonyms at proficient.
[Low English, from Old French, experienced, from Latin expertus, past participle of experr, to try; see per-3 in Indo-European roots.]
[from Latin ex- former, used, has-been; and, spurtus- dribble, short duration, slow]

Normally this is associated the act of consultation; this was formely limited to court proceedings, but has now spread to all facets of social and commercial endeavours. Especially rampant still in courrt cases and nearly impossible to avoid in the media, where even cursory examination of credentials is suspect.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I come from a different angle. I love technology. I love learning. In my spare time at work I read up on such things as the latest theories in astrophysics, the latest advances in bio-tech, the latest micro-chip architecture advances, etc...

Why then do I love lever actions and old guns? Because the new guns aren't any better and there is nothing great about newness for newness sake. In fact the old designs are usually more elegant and built with much more material. I love things that are built well and made to last. Not things that were penny pinched.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We are here and it is now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

J Miller wrote:Yep, that's me. No wonder I never made my mark in this world.

Joe
I'm sure you've made a mark or will make a mark. It most likely won't be recognized or appreciated until after you are gone.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Joe,

As other's have said:

Most of us here feel the same way.

I should have been born @ 1920. Would have been 21 when the Japanese bombed Pearl.

Can't think of anything better than screaming around the South Pacific on a PT Boat! Three V-12 Packards, two twin Fifities, 4 torpedo tubes and what ever else those boys could come up with! All on a plywood hull!!!! :shock:

Or maybe a hundreded years before that Raiding the Carribean. I'd been one hell of a Pirate!

Jimmy Buffett said it best: "you pick the century, I'll pick the Spot!"....."Beam Me up Mr.Scott"!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

what I have noticed about this technology revolution is it has outstripped our ability to produce meaningful content. So nobody has anything to say but they say it to millions of people at the speed of light.

The digital age has revolutionized certain disciplines such as music, but with all the capability you're not hearing much that's good these days.

I was just dealing with my film camera, and in photography I'm probably an anachronism for not liking digital.

Just think about how to make today's tools work for you. If you fall off a bicycle be sure to get right back on.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I hear you Joe!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe that we have this life, at this time, in this place for a reason. I also think that, in general, birds of a feather flock together, and hence, we have this forum... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:I should have been born @ 1920.
I was thinking about this the other day. I think anytime between ~1750 and 1895 would work for me. Maybe as late as 1910 but then I would miss the Russo-Japanese War and WWI but still be 31-32 when WWII broke out.
2ndovc wrote:Can't think of anything better than screaming around the South Pacific on a PT Boat! Three V-12 Packards, two twin Fifities, 4 torpedo tubes and what ever else those boys could come up with! All on a plywood hull!!!! :shock:
And 1000 gallons of high octane av-gas... :shock: :lol:
2ndovc wrote:Or maybe a hundreded years before that Raiding the Carribean. I'd been one hell of a Pirate!
The Dread Pirate Roberts? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2ndovc wrote:Can't think of anything better than screaming around the South Pacific on a PT Boat! Three V-12 Packards, two twin Fifities, 4 torpedo tubes and what ever else those boys could come up with! All on a plywood hull!!!! :shock: jb 8)
Actually, I'd like to have this refitted with gas/turbine propulsion and a couple of mini-guns cruisin' off the coast of Somalia as pirate control...
(Former DD-946) :evil: :evil: :evil:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I certainly would not want to live in the "good ol' days". No electricity, no running water, no gas heat, no autos, no penicillin, average lifespan less than 40, no painless dentistry, no refrigeration, no sanitation to speak of, diptheria, polio, mumps, measles, cholera, death from childbirth, on and on. My parents were farm and ranch workers in Wyoming, Dad born in 1899, Mom in 1906, they lived this life and knew first hand what it was all about. In her later years, Mom always told me "the only thing good about the good old days is that they're gone."

I appreciate the good ol' STUFF as well as the next guy, but would not want to go back, except for a short visit.

Besides, no Walmart!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

El Chivo wrote:what I have noticed about this technology revolution is it has outstripped our ability to produce meaningful content. So nobody has anything to say but they say it to millions of people at the speed of light.

The digital age has revolutionized certain disciplines such as music, but with all the capability you're not hearing much that's good these days.

I was just dealing with my film camera, and in photography I'm probably an anachronism for not liking digital.

Just think about how to make today's tools work for you. If you fall off a bicycle be sure to get right back on.

Oh I think technology has allowed greater proliferation of all types of expression and what's more, the ability to RESEARCH almost anything. Time was you NEEDED to know or had an expert handy or you were lost. Today, you can learn almost anything, get in touch with people of like minds, no matter how obscure the subject. I bet if I wanted to build an underhammer percussian gun, in an hour online I could find 100 folks of like mind and three experts...... The ability to share and learn about the anachronistic arts of old have never been more available. There are sword and armor fans, knife guys, etc all over the web.....

As to photography, that has reallllllly been revolutionized. Time was most were stuck to take a few snapshots, and sometimes couldn't afford development. I remember counting shots through the day at a fair or other event, and rarely took more than two of the same subject. With digital, especially the last few years as storage and batteries have matured, I can shoot hundreds of shots in a day, dozens at a time as a subject catches my fancy, and even as a novice, have the ability to edit them at no additional cost beyond the computer and phone or actuall purpose-built camera I already paid for.

Even music is a quantum leap beyond. No longer is recorded music the province of the professional and expensive. ANY kid with a guitar can upload to youtube, and I'd hazard to guess more original music gets "published" daily now than was ever published in the history of man 40 years ago. Sure, much of it is stuff, but jewels are found every day......

My kid playes guitar and clarinet. he can find almost any piece you can name, listen and learn it from the stuff online. He's recently taken to jazz clarinet, and discovered Benny Goodman and others. Hundreds or thousands of tracks are at his fingertips......
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That technology is all fine and dandy. But it don't change the "I" aspect of my original post.
"I" do not do well with technology.
"I" can use it: computers, cars, appliances, but I can't fix it.
"I" like things that are simple and mechanical.
"I" like steel and wood guns.
"I" LIKE metal cars with frames and big cast iron engines running on points and condensers and carburetors, cos I can fix 'em.
"I" do not like complicated things.
"I" do not like today's thinking processes and lack of morals.
"I" do not like shore to shore cities and highways.
"I" do like wide open places not inhabited by humans.
"I" am a person who likes to be left alone to do my things.
"I" do not like the government breathing down my neck about every thing I do.
"I" do not like all these "make it safe" laws that are taking all the pride and joy out of daily life.
"I" could go on, but you should be getting the point by now.

"I" am an anachronism...

Joe
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Old Savage wrote:We are here and it is now.
To quote the great Adam Savage of Mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own". :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

adirondakjack wrote:
El Chivo wrote:what I have noticed about this technology revolution is it has outstripped our ability to produce meaningful content. So nobody has anything to say but they say it to millions of people at the speed of light.

Oh I think technology has allowed greater proliferation of all types of expression and what's more, the ability to RESEARCH almost anything. Time was you NEEDED to know or had an expert handy or you were lost. Today, you can learn almost anything, get in touch with people of like minds, no matter how obscure the subject. I bet if I wanted to build an underhammer percussian gun, in an hour online I could find 100 folks of like mind and three experts...... The ability to share and learn about the anachronistic arts of old have never been more available. There are sword and armor fans, knife guys, etc all over the web.....

As to photography, that has reallllllly been revolutionized. Time was most were stuck to take a few snapshots, and sometimes couldn't afford development. I remember counting shots through the day at a fair or other event, and rarely took more than two of the same subject. With digital, especially the last few years as storage and batteries have matured, I can shoot hundreds of shots in a day, dozens at a time as a subject catches my fancy, and even as a novice, have the ability to edit them at no additional cost beyond the computer and phone or actuall purpose-built camera I already paid for.

Even music is a quantum leap beyond. No longer is recorded music the province of the professional and expensive. ANY kid with a guitar can upload to youtube, and I'd hazard to guess more original music gets "published" daily now than was ever published in the history of man 40 years ago. Sure, much of it is stuff, but jewels are found every day......

My kid playes guitar and clarinet. he can find almost any piece you can name, listen and learn it from the stuff online. He's recently taken to jazz clarinet, and discovered Benny Goodman and others. Hundreds or thousands of tracks are at his fingertips......
This is my point - yes you are shooting more pics and you have thousands of tracks available, but what is original and well-crafted? I think it leads to a short attention span and lack of depth. Yes it's easy to produce music with the whole orchestra at your fingertips but that doesn't substitute for taking the time to really work something out. But who has time these days?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Can I join the IAAA?
Why would I like to join something that would have me as a member?
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I know where Joe's coming from. Sure, I have this computer, but I have no TV, no cell phone, no this or that everyone is talking about. The desire just isn't there. I do not, however, think any time in history was better. There have always been good and bad in all eras. You do what you can where you find yourself.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

jnyork wrote:I certainly would not want to live in the "good ol' days". No electricity, no running water, no gas heat, no autos, no penicillin, average lifespan less than 40, no painless dentistry, no refrigeration, no sanitation to speak of, diptheria, polio, mumps, measles, cholera, death from childbirth, on and on.
Catch's me in a quandry, my Grandparents lived in a house they built, with their own two hands, every nail pounded in by hand. No electricity, but they did have running water (two cisterns on each end of the building fed from rain water, two in the attic fed from a hand dug well with a wind mill/hand pump in the kitchen sink). Yes, they did have gas, originally from a coal gas generator (in his homemade bomb proof shed), then LP...ran the lights, heat, and the refrigerator. I'll never forget the hiss of the gas lights either. Remember that late every February the clan would get together and cut ice to fill the root cellar, hard work but nobody noticed cause everyone thought of the flavored chipped ice we would get next fall during the canning season. Heck, Grandpa didn't get his first car until '56 or '57, 'cause if he couldn't get there by horse or bicycle, there was always his feet. Unfortunately, you are correct as to longevity, they passed on at the young age of 88 for one and 92 for the other. That was back in '88 and '90...till their passing, they never even had a phone, they said they never needed one.

Heck, now here I am push'n leading edge technology to markets that did not even exist ten, fifteen years ago with stuff that was not even invented when I went to school, or even by the time my grandparents passed away. Yet, I look at my childhood, the way my Grandparents lived, and I know that my yearning leans towards their style of life more than the way it is now. So Joe, I can empathize with ya!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe, can I join that club? :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero, Ysabel Kid, others ... yes you are all welcome to join the IAAA club.

I know we cannot go back in time. There is just a yearning for the simplicity the old days had. Yes there was more work required to live, but I think that made life better. If life is too easy, you don't appreciate it near as much.

Joe
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

It was 89f here today. I love central aircondtioning in house after a 10 hour day of wrk in a steel mill. way 8) 8) 8) 8)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I like being cool, but A/C makes my bones hurt after a while. I'd be happy if I could just de-humidify the house.

Joe
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

"I'm an Anachronism" Well could be.
Been told I'm to much a country boy, Not excititing, A bore, Extc.

Well maybe so. I grew up in Arkansas. A little house without running water, woodstove for heat and a kearsene cooking stove with a "camping oven" on top and cardboard for insulation on the wall.

Ate what we raised or grew or hunted down.

Went to a two room school house. We opened windows for air conditioning and had a woodstove for heat. Restrooms were outhouses.

I went to work and didn't stop till I retired.

I have only been married to one woman.

Still like westerns, old tv shows an old radio shows.

The nice part about now is that you can chose what you want of it and ignore the rest.

I don't want to give up centrial air and heat, my retirement, my ability to get across the country in days or hours an not months.

A mark on life? Well a great family don't seem like a bad legasty to leave.

I think your mark on life is the people you touch and love your friends and family.

Well enough of this I have got grandkids to visit.

By the way sorry about the bad spelling an poor gramer I'm from the hills in Arkansas and it shows went I talk or write.

John
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So nobody has anything to say but they say it to millions of people at the speed of light. - El Chivo - now there is a quote.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

by the way you can follow me on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, CrawlSpace, Linked In, my personal website, newsletter, blog, e-mail, AOL instant message or you can PM me.

You can hear all about how I tightened Barbra Streisand's glasses.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

J Miller wrote:Mescalero, Ysabel Kid, others ... yes you are all welcome to join the IAAA club.

Joe
I didn`t picture ya as a groupy Joe. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I thought this topic was about drinking that second 6 pack.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tman wrote:It was 89f here today. I love central aircondtioning in house after a 10 hour day of wrk in a steel mill. way 8) 8) 8) 8)
I'm too stubborn to have anything in my house that I can't fix myself, and the thought of paying four times what I make per hour as a physician so some technician can come fix something makes my skin crawl. I'm glad for them that they trained and learned the stuff, and their company hopefully passes along lots of the loot, but I'll keep lugging room air-conditioners into place every season until (hopefully soon) I design and build my own 'central' system that I can maintain on my own.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:
2ndovc wrote:I should have been born @ 1920.
I was thinking about this the other day. I think anytime between ~1750 and 1895 would work for me. Maybe as late as 1910 but then I would miss the Russo-Japanese War and WWI but still be 31-32 when WWII broke out.
2ndovc wrote:Can't think of anything better than screaming around the South Pacific on a PT Boat! Three V-12 Packards, two twin Fifities, 4 torpedo tubes and what ever else those boys could come up with! All on a plywood hull!!!! :shock:
And 1000 gallons of high octane av-gas... :shock: :lol:
2ndovc wrote:Or maybe a hundreded years before that Raiding the Carribean. I'd been one hell of a Pirate!
The Dread Pirate Roberts? :lol:
"Hallo",
"My Name is Inigo Montoya,
You killed my Father,
prepare to die!"

jb

:D

1873 would have worked too. Be 25 when Teddy put together The Rough Riders !

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ay Caramba!