Do You Remember Your First Pocket Knife?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Do You Remember Your First Pocket Knife?

Post by cshold »

I vividly remember at 11 years old my next door neighbor giving me my
very first knife. (1972) He was a retired PA. city police officer that had diabetes
real bad and had both his legs amputated, he passed away a couple years later.

I cherished this little knife as one of my best friends; it was in my pocket almost every waking
hour for many years. (Till I got my Leathman :) ) I carried it to school every day from 6th grade on.
The teachers knew I religiously carried this well sharpened pocket knife, and asked to
barrow it on numerous occasions through my school years.
(Can you imagine this today? :o :shock: )

I really have no idea how old this little Imperial pocket knife is, it has served me well since 1972,
used anywhere from digging splinters out of my hands, cleaning /trimming finger nails to gutting out
a couple of deer when the hunting knife was forgotten.

piller
Posting leader...

Re: Do You Remember Your First Pocket Knife?

Post by piller »

My first one was a 2 bladed one made by Camp King. I wore it out in about 10 years.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Don't remember the first, probably an official cub scout knife, lol.

Had a stockman in my left front pocket since I was eight.
I have been changing it around some in the past few years,
currently a Case warncliff jr trapper type
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Imperial mini canoe. Cheap Japanese knife from the "ice house" (TX for corner store).
Now they're collectible - they were made in Seki City.
Next was a Cub Scout knife, and they're really collectible.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My first knife was a Case Boy Scout knife. I carried it all the time and, yes, teachers would borrow mine or some other boy's knife most every day. Nobody expected anything else. Indeed, the boy without a knife was the odd one out. We played mumbledy peg at the bus stop. I would lay newspapers on the living room floor and carve wooden boats while watching TV with my parents. Unfortunately it is in/at the bottom of Lake George in New York. I know just about right where it is but couldn't find it, even shortly after losing it. I stood, dove, worked in that cold water (that year was particularly cold while we were there) lifting and moving rock on the lake bottom looking for my knife. It is likely deep in the crevices. That taught me the value of a lanyard around water. I really missed it the next day when helping my grandfather work on his sailboat and then wanting to open a bottle of grape Nehi.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Imperial jackcamping knife, earned through blue chip stamps around 1978-9.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, no I don't remember the first knife exactly, but I have a scar from it as a souvenir. You see as a 6 YO I was showing off to a friend and had a stick in my left hand. I went to stick the knife in the end of the stick and missed .... :o :shock: :oops: Stuck it in the web of my left hand. Still got a 1/2" scar there. Even as boy I knew the value of not showing pain. As I sat there leaking red fluid all over the place I acted as if it was nothing. Boy did it hurt though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I bought a Camillus Model 51 from Johnson's General Store at about 10 years old. Same story - used it for all kinds of stuff. Stolen from my car in Davenport, Ia about 1974 - found this one at a knife show. It is the bottom one in this picture of some of my Camillus Knives.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I do! It's a red Swiss Army knife I got on a trip to New York city with
my Dad when I was 8. Hoffritz. I got a Spaulding pitcher's glove and ball,
lunch at the Empire State Building, and the pocket knife on that outing.
I still have the knife.

I carried it everywhere - school, on three continents in the USAF,
planes, trains, automobiles - you name it. When I was in college, it
held the only corkscrew I owned, so it was DEFINITELY a necessary
piece of kit!

-Stretch
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Yes.
An Olsen "lil critter" that was made less then 20 miles from my house. I used it for years on small game and pan fish until the factory closed up and now it sits in my drawer to be passed down to my son.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Sounds like Hobie and I had the same knife as kids. I had a Boy Scout knife, main blade, kind of a screwdriver/bottle opener blade, a can opener blade, and an odd blade that I figured was meant to punch holes in leather, like an awl or something. Had the Boy Scouts emblem on dark handles. Never knew it was made by Case. And I still wonder where that knife is now. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I remember the knife but not sure what it was called. It was an imperial(IIRC) single blade knife that was rounded on one end and kinda taper on the other. We always called them fish knives but I have no idea what it was really called. It had fake mother of pearl scales and a lock for the closed position, you had to hold it tip down and press the back of the blade into the handle for it to open. I remember dad telling me to be careful and don't lose it, ....lasted less than two weeks before I lost it somewhere. :|
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Boy Scout knife, one big blade and one small
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

it was a small one blade knife my grandparents gave me from the great smokey smountains souvenir shop, though I don't know which one. Soon after I got a cub scout knife with multiple blades. my son has both now. One I kept was a bayonet my uncle gave me from his time in Vietnam. Still have it in the gun cabinet. Still as sharp as ever. Used to cut braches down, practiced throwing it into trees, and all sorts of digging and cutting and chopping. Still could serve in all those purposes. Kewl post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

stretch - I carried one like that for a while and still have it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My very first one was a "pen" knife my grandfather gave me when I was about 4. I couldn't have been much older cause he died when I was 5. I remember it had green scales on it that had a swirl pattern to it. It had 2 little tiny blades that I couldn't even open without help. The blades were so stiff to open they would make my little thumb nails bend backward when I tried to open them, childproof I guess. My mom took it for safe keeping and I never saw it again.
Next was a little knife from the Washington Monument gift shop that wasn't much better, but it was a knife.
The first really useful knife I ever had was, like a lot of others a Cub scout knife. That sure was a handy pattern too. I bought one like it right after I was married by Case XX and flat wore that one out.

Good thread, it brings back a lot of memories. :D :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My first pocket knife was a little two bladed, red scaled souvenir pen knife from the Isle of Man. Given to me by by Dad's second in command at the fire station where my Dad was Chief.
I was only about 7 years old and I carried it with me everywhere. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Imperial 2 bladed fishing knife. Yellow with a metal fish on handle. 1 blade is a knife blade. Other has a scaler, hook remover, and bottle cap opener. Still have it.
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Grandfather bought me litle sheath knife while on vacation. Within the hour I dropped it on the pier & it fell through the boards onto the superstructure below. My dad retieved it with chewing gum on the end of his fishing rod.

Eventually lost that knife again but still have the memories of it more than 1/2 century later.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Camp King sudo swiss army knife. No idea what happened to it. First pocket knife I bought was a hardware store barlow. Lasted about a week and one of teh scales fell off. Been so many since......

LK
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Mine was a Boy Scout knife that my Dad gave me when I graduated from Cub Scouts (Webelos) to a Tenderfoot Boy Scout in 1965.

I gave that knife to one of my best ever friends when I moved from Georgia back to Kansas in 1991. He still has it.

He gave me a 1909 Argentine Mauser that his Dad gave him, I still have it.
Last edited by damienph on Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

10 years old - got a BIG Swiss Army knife, but somehow lost it during a hasty 'jump in the canoe and get going' back home off a sand-bar during a storm/flash flood.

13 years old - got a CASE 4" 2-blade folder, which I wore on a belt-sheath throughout junior and high school.

Any teacher that thought knives were an 'issue' in school would have been laughed at. Even firearms weren't particularly thought to be an 'issue', though they were supposed to stay in vehicles, unless you rode the school-bus, in which case they'd want you to keep them IN your locker until you went home. Officially, you were supposed to actually attend the whole school day and then hunt after school, but of course many of us happened to sort of fade away after lunch... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

AJMD429 wrote:10 years old - got a BIG Swiss Army knife, but somehow lost it during a hasty 'jump in the canoe and get going' back home off a sand-bar during a storm/flash flood.

13 years old - got a CASE 4" 2-blade folder, which I wore on a belt-sheath throughout junior and high school.

Any teacher that thought knives were an 'issue' in school would have been laughed at. Even firearms weren't particularly thought to be an 'issue', though they were supposed to stay in vehicles, unless you rode the school-bus, in which case they'd want you to keep them IN your locker until you went home. Officially, you were supposed to actually attend the whole school day and then hunt after school, but of course many of us happened to sort of fade away after lunch... :wink:

Reading all these replies is just kicking memory lane into overdrive. :D

But also very scary as to how anti-gun this country has become in
so few years. :(

Now just pointing your fingers as a mock gun on the play ground will
get a student suspended. :(

I remember in high school the last week of school before summer break
the squirt gun battles in the hallways between classes, and I’m talking
about almost everyone had one including a few teachers. 8)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:My first knife was a Case Boy Scout knife. I carried it all the time
Me too.....gave it to my nephew.....when he was a youngster around 12 or so
wonder if he still has it....hes 21 now...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

I think my first knife was my official Cub Scout knife. I got that back in late 70's. I ran across it about 10 years ago... unfortunatly I think I put it some place safe... no telling where that is!!!!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

probably a Camp KIng too...

My great grandmother gave me a little Imperial pen knife about the same time.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

casastahle wrote:Reading all these replies is just kicking memory lane into overdrive. :D

But also very scary as to how anti-gun this country has become in
so few years. :(

Now just pointing your fingers as a mock gun on the play ground will
get a student suspended. :(

I remember in high school the last week of school before summer break
the squirt gun battles in the hallways between classes, and I’m talking
about almost everyone had one including a few teachers. 8)
Yep. I walked into the principals office as a sophomore in high school, carrying a .32-20 lever-action, and asked if they'd keep it in the office's safe during the afternoon, as I'd picked it up during my lunch hour at the gun shop where it'd been repaired, and since I rode the bus, there was no place to keep it.

Vice Principal - "Why don't you just put it in your locker...?"

Me - "I have one of those stupid half-lockers that isn't tall enough."

Vice Principal - "Don't you have any friends who have tall lockers...?"

Me - "Sure, but I don't want to leave an expensive family heirloom gun with the kind of kid that would be MY friend..."

Vice Principal (smiling) - "Yeah, your friends are likely to be some unsavory characters. . ."

pause

Vice Principal - "Why don't you just take it to class with you, then...?"

Me - "I would, but I've got drafting class this afternoon, and you know how THOSE guys get..."

pause

Vice Principal - "Yeah, you're right there. OK, hand it over..."

Me - "Do you have a screwdriver handy...?"

Vice Principal - "Huh...?"

Me - "I'm going to take the lever and bolt out of it - you don't expect me to leave a functional GUN with you guys here in the office, do you? I know it is for an obsolete caliber, but I have to have some sense that I've not created a dangerous situation."

Vice Principal - "Hang on," and he produces a screwdrive from the drawer of a nearby desk (thankfully the old Marlins didn't have that overly-narrow lever-screw).

I remove the lever and screw, and slide out the bolt and lug, and pocket them all. (The ejectors didn't fall out on the old Marlins.)

I hand him the gun, and he says "Just come get it after school; I don't want to have your mom calling me if it disappears overnight."

During drafting class, of course we have to draw some 'machine parts', and although there is a table of parts we can measure and draw, I choose to draw the bolt in my pocket (the lever had too many curves that I was too lazy to measure and draw) - the drafting teacher approves of it as something 'beyond the basic'. I even got the over-radiused front/right cuts on the bolt accurately measured and drawn. Teacher didn't freak out and call the SWAT team.

I took the gun home on the school bus, uncased. Driver didn't freak out and call the SWAT team; no problems.

THAT kind of Vice Principal (and teacher and bus driver) is hard to find nowdays. Mind you that if you hurt someone, stole something, or otherwise actually did something BAD, that guy would paddle you so hard that you'd be in the doctor's office the next day for some salve. If it was a 'schoolboy prank', he'd advise you not to do it again, speculate with you on ways not to get caught next time if you did it again, and laugh with you about it. "Guns" didn't even make the 'prank' list, and were pretty much a non-issue.

Of course, that was back in the days when a couple of guys could have a fistfight during lunch break over some girl, and one or both would have a 4" knife on them (most 'hetero' guys did :wink: ), and often one or both would have a 12 gauge shotgun in the gun-rack in their vehicle :o , but NEVER did the use of a weapon become an issue during that kind of altercation. Both student and faculty had a firm grasp on the reality of deadly violence, vs. a good old-fashioned fist-fight for some silly reason. Right vs. Wrong was not just a matter of symbolism, but of substance.

Kids these days watch way too much television, don't hunt enough, and think it's OK to shoot someone in the back you don't even know, just to make a point about feeling 'dissed' because they are lazy, stupid, unmotivated, and didn't get spoon-fed when they were babies... :|
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hillbilly wrote:probably a Camp KIng too...My great grandmother gave me a little Imperial pen knife about the same time.
Man, those "Imperials" were crummy looking (with the cheap plastic grips), but had some GOOD steel. I remember hand-making wood grips to replace cracked plastic grips on several folding and straight knives, and that steel would really take a good edge... 8)

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i really admire you people's memories.

always had a knife in my pocket or on my belt [ or both ],
but the FIRST one,, not even a clue.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I still have mine. It's a Schrade regular ol' lock blade. My dad gave it to me when I was probably 7 or 8 years old. Miraculously it has followed me around through all my moves since I left my parents' house.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Funny how so many of us had similar experiences, living in very different areas of the country and probably in different decades. At my high school the fella who din't have a pocket knife ON HIM was, looked at a little differently.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My first pocket knife is a standard Case 2 blade, don't know the model, that I found on the street in when I was 9 or so. Still have it somewhere.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cub Scout knife for Christmas....8?....Cut my finger but good within 30 minutes.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I still have my first pocket knife, my first straight blade knife and my first wife. I intend to keep all three till my dying day. This has got me thinking that I have never pointed these items out to my son. I will be doing that yet tonight. Come to think of it, he is familar with my wife. She's a mighty fine mother as well as a fine wife for 31 plus years.

Thanks for making me think about that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Son's first was a Leatherman Wave at age 6. He wrote a letter to Tim Leatherman and actually received a reply with a hand written signature. He still has the knife.

Does anyone have a Mora knife? Does anyone remember the Edgemark brand knives. Some of them were made in Mora, Sweden and had good steel. My older brothers each got one when they were about 7 and 9 years old. They still have them. At the same time I got a L'il Swede by EKA and still have it. Some of the best steel I have ever used in that blade.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Mine was a Barlow made by Imperial.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I can`t remember my first knife but do remember playing stretch with knives in first grade. 8)

This fixed blade knife was given to me by my best friend when i was 12 in 1966 who died in a MC accedent later in life.
It was made in Finland, that is stamped on the sheath but no name on the blade.
The silver pocket knife says imperial and Ireland.
The little one has no name.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

No way I can clearly remember the first one. As I recall, I was born, the doctor stepped aside and someone put a Case knife in my diaper. :lol:

Seriously, I do not ever remember not having one in my pocket. When I got married, it was there - just in Case.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:I can`t remember my first knife but do remember playing stretch with knives in first grade. 8)

This fixed blade knife was given to me by my best friend when i was 12 in 1966 who died in a MC accedent later in life.
It was made in Finland, that is stamped on the sheath but no name on the blade.
The silver pocket knife says imperial and Ireland.
The little one has no name.

Very cool 8)
I love the looks of that leather sheath...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That knife took a lot of abuse as you can imagine from a 12 year old kid till now, wish i new the maker, but i knew the giver and that`s what counts. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Still have it. My Dad had a business trip to New York City and brought back a pocket knife for my brother and I. I think I was about 5 years old. The panel has the Empire State Building on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other. This was before the WTC was built.

I carried a BSA edition of the Swiss Army Knife for most of my years growing up (and still do), but my first one was this little simple pocket knife, and I'll never forget it.

I'll take pictures of it later.

Great post Mike! :D :D :D
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I got the Swiss Army Knife in the "Camper" version.I dont know what ever happened
to it.When it disappeared I bought a "Hunter" Buck Knife.I loved the smell of the leather
case that came with it!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

piller wrote:

Does anyone have a Mora knife?
Sure, me an my buddy both do. Sometimes they can't be bought due to their populairty among the EOTWAWKI crowd.
Most guys ditch the plastic sheath & make one for their knife outa leather.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I don't remember the first one I got but I do remember all the men had Case XX pocket knives. I bought a German Boker stockmans knife for $13 when I was about 10. Got my money hauling hay and cutting tobacco. That was a lot of money for a knife at that time. I still have it even though it has been sharpened away alot. Those days are long gone.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep, I got both of 'em. The "Old Timer" was purchased by me in 1966, when I was 12 from the Gookie Catalog and the Nazi Youth Knife was also purchased by me in '66 from a flea market. :D Yea, good 'ole days.------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I was about eight and got an official Cub Scout knife. Promptly cut my thumb while carving a Cub project. When my next youngest brother went to Cubs, the knife went to him, and Lord only knows where from there. I bought a Buck Stockman that I carried for years, and lost somewhere. Happened onto another Buck Stockman at a gunshow shortly after, and still carry it.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Blue scaled Cub Scout folding knife from the official scout store... Do they even have Cub Scout knives any more? I sure hope so.

Boy Scouts do for sure - I know that. But not sure about the Cubs....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pistol Mike
Levergunner

Post by Pistol Mike »

piller wrote: Does anyone have a Mora knife?
Yes i got several of them, have been carrying a "Morakniv" (see link below) as a work knife for the last 15 years.
Hard to get a more price worthy knife if you ask me. http://www.moraofsweden.se/index.php?cid=484&ssel=401#

Regards Mike
Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

Great topic! I found my first pocket knife when I was maybe 6 yrs old at summer camp. It was a small Swiss Army knife with a blade and a file. At some point, I think I lost it or it was confiscated but my Dad got me a new one for my 8th birthday. Something really cool about a father giving his son a pocket knife.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis