The real Rube Burrows Hevily updated with lever pics 5/1/11

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

The real Rube Burrows Hevily updated with lever pics 5/1/11

Post by Rube Burrows »

For those of you who dont know about the real Rube Burrows and are interested in history, please take a min to read some about him in the link.

http://genealogytrails.com/tex/bigbend/ ... rrows.html

I am from the same hometown as Rube Burrows and my grandmother actually owns a large tract of land in which some of it was Rube's land. He was said to have hid out from the law on our property......and of course since most of the train robberies money was never found it is said that he hid some of the gold on our property.....but we have never found any. :mrgreen:

Growing up I played cowboys like many other kids across the country but I played as Rube Burrows while other kids played as Billy the Kid and others.

We grew up with stories of Rube Burrows in town and when I joined SASS it was only natural that I chose Rube Burrows as my alias there and on the forums where I needed a name.

Here are a few pics I have to share with you.

Here is Rube in his new wooden box along with his guns.

Pic of Rubes Grave

and of course, Me with his headstone

If you took the time to look and read any of it, I hope you enjoyed it. Least there is a pic of an old Marlin Lever Gun. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rube Burrows on Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The real Rube Burrows

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the read. Are you old enough to be packing around sixguns? :D Sorry, couldn't help it. I almost remember being young, once.
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

kimwcook wrote:Thanks for the read. Are you old enough to be packing around sixguns? :D Sorry, couldn't help it. I almost remember being young, once.

Heck, im 31.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Grow that same beard and mustache and you are not far from him.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Old Savage wrote:Grow that same beard and mustache and you are not far from him.

I tried a time or two and it takes me a while to grow enough beard to even be seen.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

game keeper wrote:Great story, thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good stuff. Now get your Marlin rifle back. 1886.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing -- I really enjoyed reading it. I have been through
Linden, AL, Demopolis, etc. many times, so it was interesting to read about his having
been there. One doesn't seem to encounter too many tales of outlaws in MS, AL and
GA, so it was a treat to read about these happenings close to my area.

Thanks again!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice. Thanks!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

John in MS wrote:Excellent! Thanks for sharing -- I really enjoyed reading it. I have been through
Linden, AL, Demopolis, etc. many times, so it was interesting to read about his having
been there. One doesn't seem to encounter too many tales of outlaws in MS, AL and
GA, so it was a treat to read about these happenings close to my area.

Thanks again!
John

Yeah, it really is neat to read about things happening that are "Wild West" ish.......and in your own back yard. He was very successful in his train robbery. I have a few old Newspapers from the period that tell about his acts and one that tells he was killed. I also have a very nice Illustrated newspaper with a large illustration of him on the front page. Its from 1889

Also, the Marlin rifle in his coffin with him is a Marlin 1888.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Rube... very interesting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Interesting stuff. Thanks!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Its always fun to read about someone new. I have been contacting Guns of the Old West and True West for some time trying to get them to run a story on Rube. I guess he is not "West" enough for them. Maybe in the future they will.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx for clearing that up, I thought that was Your real name. The Guy in the Coffin would pass for a twin of a Guy I know. I wondered about the Guns , R they all in the Coffin ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

pwl44m wrote:Thx for clearing that up, I thought that was Your real name. The Guy in the Coffin would pass for a twin of a Guy I know. I wondered about the Guns , R they all in the Coffin ?

Im sure they didnt make the train ride home with all of the mob of people wanting to see him.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very neat stuff...thanks for sharing those photos. I grew up staring at that picture of Rube Burrows holding that Marlin in his box(in Guns and Ammo "Guns of the Gunfighters"), so I knew who you were going for with your moniker right off.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

C. Cash wrote:Very neat stuff...thanks for sharing those photos. I grew up staring at that picture of Rube Burrows holding that Marlin in his box(in Guns and Ammo "Guns of the Gunfighters"), so I knew who you were going for with your moniker right off.

Man, I never got to see that Guns and Ammo. I'll have to keep my eye out for an old copy of it.

Most people have never heard of Rube.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very cool story "Reuben" :wink:

the only other time i have heard that name is in the movie "Rooster Cogburn"
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIHMFIRE wrote:very cool story "Reuben" :wink:

the only other time i have heard that name is in the movie "Rooster Cogburn"

Yep, spelled the same way and all. :wink:
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I love history, especially local stories. Another notorius outlaw gang in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana was the James Copeland & Gale Wages Clan. They burnt down county courthouses and part of the city of Mobile, Alabama.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had an uncle by the name of Reuben, he was a farmer in Worcestershire, England.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

rock-steady wrote:I love history, especially local stories. Another notorius outlaw gang in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana was the James Copeland & Gale Wages Clan. They burnt down county courthouses and part of the city of Mobile, Alabama.

Interesting. I will look for some info on them.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Rube - pm me. I might be able to help you with a True West contact and/or provide you contact info with a couple of well respected outlaw/old west historians with whom I have pretty close ties.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat post Rube! :D Like C.Cash, I was also aware of that pic in the Guns & Ammo, "Guns of the Gunfighters". I still have it downstairs in the dungeon. If I remember, I'll take pics of the story and post it. Also, If I remember, that book could be older than you. :D

BTW, Did you get your "chip" off the tombstone? :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

In the book "The Life and Confession of the Noted Outlaw James Copeland", is a description of one of the Gangs favorite weapons; the slung shot. This was a lead ball with a hole drilled in the center and attached to the assassin's wrist with a short leather cord. The killer would hold the lead ball in his hand concealed and when within striking range of his victim, let the ball drop down and swing it overhand down on top of the hapless victim's head. Bonk. The gang woud also burn houses and sift the ashes for gold & silver.

http://www.amazon.com/Confession-Noted- ... 0878056114
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote:Neat post Rube! :D Like C.Cash, I was also aware of that pic in the Guns & Ammo, "Guns of the Gunfighters". I still have it downstairs in the dungeon. If I remember, I'll take pics of the story and post it. Also, If I remember, that book could be older than you. :D

No way man.....Im not gonna get my chip of of anyone's stone. If im remembering right, I believe this is the second stone. I think I have pics of the original also. It was chipped pretty bad....much worse than this one.

That would be neat if you could post some copies of the article on Rube.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

rock-steady wrote:In the book "The Life and Confession of the Noted Outlaw James Copeland", is a description of one of the Gangs favorite weapons; the slung shot. This was a lead ball with a hole drilled in the center and attached to the assassin's wrist with a short leather cord. The killer would hold the lead ball in his hand concealed and when within striking range of his victim, let the ball drop down and swing it overhand down on top of the hapless victim's head. Bonk. The gang woud also burn houses and sift the ashes for gold & silver.

http://www.amazon.com/Confession-Noted- ... 0878056114

Thanks for the book link. They sound like they were a pretty nasty bunch.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Rube - Got your pm, sent you a response and apparently it's hung up in my #@**%&@ OUT BOX. HELP, HOBIE. Dang, this drives me CRAZY!!!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

GoatGuy wrote:Rube - Got your pm, sent you a response and apparently it's hung up in my #@**%&@ OUT BOX. HELP, HOBIE. Dang, this drives me CRAZY!!!

I think they show as being in the outbox till the other person opens it. I could be wrong though.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Rube Burrows wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Neat post Rube! :D Like C.Cash, I was also aware of that pic in the Guns & Ammo, "Guns of the Gunfighters". I still have it downstairs in the dungeon. If I remember, I'll take pics of the story and post it. Also, If I remember, that book could be older than you. :D

No way man.....Im not gonna get my chip of of anyone's stone. If im remembering right, I believe this is the second stone. I think I have pics of the original also. It was chipped pretty bad....much worse than this one.

Alas, it's only his photo in the coffin but no article. The caption doesn't give away much info except who he is and his weaponry. The book is really neat for all the figures it does cover...and great pictures. It' is worth the 15-20 bucks on amazon. Some of the older ones have some great color pages but the newer ones are all black and white.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

C. Cash wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:

Alas, it's only his photo in the coffin but no article. The caption doesn't give away much info except who he is and his weaponry. The book is really neat for all the figures it does cover...and great pictures. It' is worth the 15-20 bucks on amazon. Some of the older ones have some great color pages but the newer ones are all black and white.

Oh....I see.

Might look for a complete copy.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks to John for sending me a copy of the 1975 Guns and Ammo with the Rube Burrows Pic in it. Just got it in today and its full of great articles.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Rube, you don't look like you are 31. This can only mean I am getting really old. Darn! God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

rodeo kid wrote:Rube, you don't look like you are 31. This can only mean I am getting really old. Darn! God Bless.

:mrgreen: I'll be 32 on the 12th of Feb. :|
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Rube Burrows wrote:
rodeo kid wrote:Rube, you don't look like you are 31. This can only mean I am getting really old. Darn! God Bless.

I'll be 57 on the 13th of Feb. MY son will be 32 on June 28. Hang on tight Rube, before you know it your son will be the age you are now.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

damienph wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:

I'll be 57 on the 13th of Feb. MY son will be 32 on June 28. Hang on tight Rube, before you know it your son will be the age you are now.

Yeah, I already feel like its flying by now.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rube Burrows wrote:Thanks to John for sending me a copy of the 1975 Guns and Ammo with the Rube Burrows Pic in it. Just got it in today and its full of great articles.
Glad you liked it, sorry it's so dog eared, it has been well read! :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

game keeper wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:Thanks to John for sending me a copy of the 1975 Guns and Ammo with the Rube Burrows Pic in it. Just got it in today and its full of great articles.
Glad you liked it, sorry it's so dog eared, it has been well read! :D

That is more than okay. Its found new life here. Im enjoying reading it.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Just thought I would share a couple of wanted posters I got in today.

I am always looking for Rube Burrows items....original newspapers, pictures, or just anything I can find. I recently found these for sale so I bought them. They are exact replicas of authentic wanted posters for Rube Burrows. Thought they would make a great addition.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, thanks for sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pitchy wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing. 8)
Anytime, thanks for checking out the thread.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Well I located the rifle and went and seen it this weekend. These pics are of the actual rifle that is in the original picture of him in his casket. Its the Marlin rifle that Rube Burrows loved so much that when he escaped instead of running he hunted down the man who had his Marlin rifle and eventually got killed. I have had dreams of seeing this rifle since I was a small kid looking at him in his coffin with this rifle. I was very happy to see it in person. Next time I go back will be even better because I have been in deep conversations with the right person ( who was not there this time) who is actually going to let me hold the rifle and really inspect the rifle up close and personal. These pics are through the glass case and are not the best but thought you Marlin guys would appreciate them.

Pic

Rifle
1888 Marlin 38-40 24" Oct Barrel.

This is the last Unfired 45 Cal Bullet from his Colt Revolver.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Also went by the place he was killed.

Its amazing to think that this was the center of town in 1890. Now there are houses on both sides and across the street. The actual town part of it now is located about a half mile to a mile away from the original courthouse.
Hook

Re: The real Rube Burrows Hevily updated with lever pics 5/1/11

Post by Hook »

Rube, was the old jail still standing directly across the street from the old court house. This was the jail Rube broke out of. I go through there every now and then but haven't thought to check to see if it is still there. As a teenager, I went to many dances on the second floor of the old courthouse. It's a wonder the floor in that thing held us up as we were jumping around.

Congratulations on locating the Marlin. I never looked up the old girlfriend that is a descendant of Dixie Carter to see if her family knew of the gun's whereabouts. Maybe she can give some ideas about the location of the revolvers if I can remember to call her.

Is the Marlin still in Marengo County?
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Hook wrote:Rube, was the old jail still standing directly across the street from the old court house. This was the jail Rube broke out of. I go through there every now and then but haven't thought to check to see if it is still there. As a teenager, I went to many dances on the second floor of the old courthouse. It's a wonder the floor in that thing held us up as we were jumping around.

Congratulations on locating the Marlin. I never looked up the old girlfriend that is a descendant of Dixie Carter to see if her family knew of the gun's whereabouts. Maybe she can give some ideas about the location of the revolvers if I can remember to call her.

Is the Marlin still in Marengo County?

No the Marlin is in Montgomery. I was told that the pistols were still with the Carter family but im not sure who has them.

I looked for the jail but did not see it. I have seen pics of it and know it was just a small iron "box'' so to speak. Didnt notice it.

Do you know what those "S" or squiggly lines are on the building? Were they original to the courthouse?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool, thanks for the update and photos. :D
Over here a lot of old buildings have those S shaped iron brackets, they hold the old walls together after they start to bulge etc.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

game keeper wrote:Cool, thanks for the update and photos. :D
Over here a lot of old buildings have those S shaped iron brackets, they hold the old walls together after they start to bulge etc.

Interesting. I wondered what they were.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I cannot believe I missed this....VERY, VERY COOL! Thank you for taking the time to share those photos. You can tell he took good care of that Marlin.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

C. Cash wrote:I cannot believe I missed this....VERY, VERY COOL! Thank you for taking the time to share those photos. You can tell he took good care of that Marlin.

He did take care of it. The rifle was a big role in his demise. His love for the rifle got him twice. He was wrapping the rifle due to it starting to rain when one of the colored men asked him if he wanted him to do it. Rube said sure and when the man started wrapping it he made like he dropped it causing Rube to turn to him and get mad allowing the other colored man to jump on his back and then them two wrestle him to to the ground. Then when he broke out instead of leaving to make his get away he went and looked for the man who took his rifle. When he found him he demanded that he give back his Marlin Rifle and his Money saying....."Give me back my rifle and my money or I'll shoot your head off".

Well, the rest is obvious but Rube was killed in the gunfight that followed. Rube shot Carter and crippled him for life and of all the bullets Carter fired Rube was struck just once in the gut and staggered and died by the courthouse.