Way OT, but still guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Way OT, but still guns

Post by draperjojo »

While I'm trying to refinish the ugly wood on my Rossi 454 Casull, I'm also working on a gun that's been in my family for years. It's been hanging on my wall for quite a while now. Its a Black Powder, approx 30 caliber ball, and made in Lancaster Pennsylvania. Its stamped Leman and has Pheasants engraved on it. The rifling looks pretty good. I got the urge to make this thing shoot again. My dad told me he last remembered it being fired in the late 30's. His father put a load of black powder in it, not knowing there was already one in it, and fired it.

Its at a friends machine shop and he's making a part to replace a broken one. After that I've got another guy lined up who'll make a brass ramrod for it. Once that's done, I'm gonna light load w/o a ball in it and test it, slowly increasing the grains to make sure it behaves. If it does okay, I'll light load it with a ball and work up. My hope is to get a video of me shooting it and email to my dad and his brother. I've gotten several of dads guns over the years, and I've come to the conclusion no one in this family ever cleaned their guns..lol That model 37 12 gauge was nasty, the 30-06 my dad bought when he was 12 for $8 took quite a few cleaning patches. Now that 257 Roberts with the scope wrapped up in a newspaper from 1954 was clean, AND came with a 20 round box of Peters ammo that was tagged $2.95....haha
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Way OT, but still guns

Post by Sixgun »

The Leman is worth some serious money. Don't change anything on it or you won't be able to exchange it for a Mossberg .22 boltgun. :wink: I live in Pa. near where these guns were originally made and the "right" ones go for big bucks-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Don't worry Sixgun, I'm not modifying it. I'm keeping the original parts, just replacing a broken one so that I can go shoot a gun last fired by my grandfather in the roaring 30's!! Yahoooooo!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats on all of those....that little 30 should be very fun to shoot and what a great family history.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I want the one on the Bottom. Iv'e always wanted a small Caliber BP and still do. Good looking Guns.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

DJ, I'd be real interested if you're able to follow up with us on how things go. I've got 2 muzzleloaders my dad bought in the N. C. mountains back in the 30's. I have never shot them though my oldest brother may have. My dad had 8 of these and gave 2 to each of us kids. I know my brother did shoot a couple of them successfully, but I don't know which ones. Dad's long gone and my oldest brother passed so I'm on my own as far as testing them out goes.

Look forward to hearing more.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You say it has pheasants engraved on it! Boy could we have some fun with that this winter. :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Scrubbed out bugs and black powder and have the barrel prepped and waiting for the powder drums. One of the powder drums will be tapped for the cap nipple and then I'll have another one that I'll drill and tap myself so the nipple indexes underneath the hammer properly. Either way I'll have it covered. The barrel soaked in the tub and cleaned a lot out there, then I've run solvent, and a 30 caliber brush through the barrel and pulled about 60-70 patches through it. The barrel looks real good with a light in it considering how long its been around. To think someone was shooting this gun 150-160 years ago is pretty neat. My 16 year old daughter followed me around the gun room tonight asking question about the older guns and wanting to know if she can help make the bullets/balls for this gun. She liked the black powder stuff and the Uberti Cattleman with the case hardening. :D
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Leman makes fire....first time in 70+ years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8cOmNiKe4A
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Way to go, nice rifle.

FWIW I always assumed all those old muzzle loading rifles shot round balls because that's what I shot in mine. Several years ago I visited John Rice Irwin's Museum of Appalachia in Tenn. He has quite an extensive section there on guns and gun making. I noticed two things about the old muzzleloaders 1) they were all between .25 and .38 cal 2) a lot of the bullet moulds they had were for conical bullets.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

This one shoots a round ball. I have the original bullet/ball mold from the 1800's. I melted some lead into it and they measure out about .293" diameter. I may order some .283" hard cast lead balls from "Track of the Wolf" and try them with a .010" lubed patch and see how it does.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

and the Leman fires lead for the first time in 70 years. Here is about a minute and a half of video as I was working up the grains of powder slowly checking the gun out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vU5uRhcO8
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Way Cool,You have a Great piece of Family History and a B.P. rifle You can shoot all day for next to nothing. Have Fun. :mrgreen: .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

draperjojo wrote:and the Leman fires lead for the first time in 70 years. Here is about a minute and a half of video as I was working up the grains of powder slowly checking the gun out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vU5uRhcO8
Now all you have to do is take it out and make meat. Another addict is born! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice to have a wall-hanger you can still use.. cool. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice rifle and cool story.
Old Law Dawg