OT- Field holster preferences

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Field holster preferences

Post by 336A »

Good evening folks, was hoping that we could talk about holsters a little bit. A while back I picked up a Simply Rugged Sour Dough pancake holster for my S&W M10. I picked this holster due to all of the great things that people had say about them. Well IMHO it makes a great holster where concealed carry is concerned but it ain't all that and a bag of potato chips for field use. I find that this holster just holds the gun to tight and to high to my body, making the draw a bit awkward for me. The other issue I have and it's a personal one at that is I always have a gap between my body and the last belt loop of the holster. It is a big annoyance to me as it allows my shirt to come untucked which bothers me to no end.

So now I'm back in the market for a good leather field holster. Can anyone point me towards a good leather field holster that is in the same price range as the Simply Rugged Sour Dough? Also one that won't ride so high as to make one think that the butt of the revolver is in thier armpit. To tide me over I've gone back to my Bianchi 7001 Accumold with the thumb snap and find it much more comfortable. But I can't stand the looks of a nylon holster to house a fine classic revolver in.
Hobie

Re: OT- Field holster preferences

Post by Hobie »

Well, I've carried the Ruger New Vaquero for a year in a Simply Rugged Sourdough and I've recommended it because it worked so well. Carried crossdraw it worked for a lot of field uses where it would otherwise be lost under the clothing. That said, it isn't the only holster I use. I've also used the Mernickle PS6 (won't make your dollar limit) and El Paso Tom Threepersons (and other makes as well, none of which make your dollar limitation either). Each is optimal with certain firearms in certain circumstances including certain clothing. Some have to be worn with a separate gun belt, not the trousers belt, to meet some needs. Every single one of them requires certain compromises.

The biggest problem I see for you is getting the same value and usability for the same price. Even searching out used holsters it is difficult. It may be that a nylon paddle holster is what you need. I got one from Uncle Mike's for my dad's Ruger Speed-Six (which is Model 10 size) and it works well, presenting the gun much lower than the Sourdough, being comfortable, being unencumbered by the location of various belt loops, and so on. The price was comparable.

A couple of years ago I went through a period where I had frozen shoulder syndrome in first my right and then left shoulders. I'm going to tell you right now that the Sourdough is NOT the holster to use in that situation even from crossdraw but in truth, I couldn't draw from any holster using the hand on the side which was affected. If that or something similar affects you, a holster won't be the answer.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a S&W brand holster for my model 19. It's a very good version of a Threepersons type. I've seen some variations of Smith holsters that were pretty,...well, plain vanilla/generic/poor design, but this particular one fits the gun very well, and is set up very well as to height, angle, and snap/strap location. This model has the old style strap that goes across the hammer and snaps on the body. The snap location is such that it can be easily popped with the trigger finger with a shooting grip on the gun. I've been able to draw a 6 1/2" 29 from a rig with the snap so located doing the old empty can on the back of the hand at shoulder level, then reach for the gun, pop the snap, draw and fire before the can hits the ground. The number on mine is 02 34 and fits the 4" K frame. Mine has adjustable sights, but it should fit yours just fine if you can find one of this model.

I think I paid about $15 for it at a gun show in like new condition. I understand they can be had in that range, maybe up to $25 on the online sources like gunbroker or ebay. Mine is an excellent holster. As I said tho, there were some turkeys in their lineup.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Lawrence 120- look them up on Google Images.
"That'll Be The Day"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I haven't used leather for years.....

My "field" holster while deployed was a Safariland 6005, and also at home, other times I use Comp-Tac Kydex rigs.

Can't help ya there.......
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I personally prefer a crossdraw rig. One of the best I've used is made by Levergun Leather Works.

http://levergunleather.com/

I'm sure there are many other good ones out there, but this one I can personally vouch for.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I like to carry my sixguns in a cross draw holster. Autos go in an forward cant Right hip holster.
Just my take.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have been wanting to buy one of Simply Rugged's 120. It is similar to the Lawrence 120 and the three person style holsters.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here's what I like and use for my S&W 25-5.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?P ... alogID=385
Ricky

DWWC
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I realy like the Mernickle FC13 REF1 to carry the smith I carry in the field most of the time, cross draw works best for me.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc13r1.html
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry my .475 FA in a cross draw by FA. I carry my .45Colt FA in a strong side hip from FA. I carry my 3" model 60 in a right hip, flapped holster, custom made. I carry my .380 Seacamp in an in the pocket holster, leather. My bond .357 derringer rides on my LEFT side from Bond, behind my cellphone :lol: because I normally carry it when I have a shotgun in my hand and I don't want the shotgun to come in contact with the derringer to ding it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not leather, but here's an inexpensive but practical one I made out of an old paddle holster, and an 'Uncle Mike' belt holster. I use it alot for several SA revolvers. You could easily do the same thing with an old leather SA holster if desired.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20515

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Everybody has an opinion on this and I have mine. Simply Rugged's Rangemaster is a pretty fair approximation of it.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I really don't see how any leather holster (unless you make them yourself) beats Simply Rugged for value and VERY few can even match them for price.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

I agree with Hobie....Rob makes good stuff and a really fair price and has a good turn around time. I traded Rob some leather work for one of his holsters for my 1911 Kimber. In the winter time I use Rob's holster and in the summer time I am currently using a Milt Sparks IWB but am also in the process of making my own IWB design.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Thanks for the help folks. I don't muh care for paddle holsters, that new Range Master from Simply Rugged looks very enticing. Anyone here have any experience with this holster?
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

No Experience with it but it looks like a good holster to me and ya can't beat that price. :wink:

I do know that you can call Rob and he will be more than happy to discuss your aplications and the holsters he has that will best suit your needs. Sometimes what we think we would like, others have experience with them that will lead us otherwise. You will find that the holster makers are just those folks. Call Rob. :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I have two of the Simply Rugged pancake holsters, one for my 617 .22 and one for my .357 686 (both 6"). I found the same thing you did about the draw. While I don't mind that for field use w/ the .22 since its a hunting gun, I switched to a molded Bianchi w/ a thumb strap for the .357 to allow better draw and easier re-holstering.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Sarge wrote:Everybody has an opinion on this and I have mine. Simply Rugged's Rangemaster is a pretty fair approximation of it.
Kickin' an old thread here, but I DO have an update.

Rob Leahy & I discussed the perfect working holster, for single actions, via email about a year ago. I don't know that this was the result of that correspondence, but it sure gets the 'Sarge Seal of Approval'. Great work, Rob... I'll do it justice with better pics when time permits.

Good pic of the holster...

...and a couple of cell pics with the Old Vaquero on-board.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's a good 'un. As noted elsewhere, Rob IS getting better and better and STILL holding down his prices. FWIW, he's done more than 20,000 holsters to date.
Sincerely,

Hobie

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I don't have any experience with Simply Rugged holsters, but I hear they are top quality. My preference for carry right now is an El Paso Saddlery "Threepersons" holster. I have several in both strong side and cross draw. For the money, you can't beat 'em, and they are sharp looking to boot.

A Simply Rugged is on my short list, and I may have Rob make me a holster for my newest addition, but I can only go recommend what I've used.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

I wear a imilar design like that cross draw when I go up in the woods sometimes.

The above does not have the hold over belt loop cause I wanted the full leather safety keeper strap.
The one below has the draw thong keeper and a fold over belt loop, just cross draw.

Rob does good work at a real fair price and his lead times are great. These types of holsters are great working holsters for the everyday use. If your not looking for something to show off, these style holsters can not be beat. They simply work and are very comfortable.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sarge wrote:
Sarge wrote:Everybody has an opinion on this and I have mine. Simply Rugged's Rangemaster is a pretty fair approximation of it.
Kickin' an old thread here, but I DO have an update.

Rob Leahy & I discussed the perfect working holster, for single actions, via email about a year ago. I don't know that this was the result of that correspondence, but it sure gets the 'Sarge Seal of Approval'. Great work, Rob... I'll do it justice with better pics when time permits.

Good pic of the holster...

...and a couple of cell pics with the Old Vaquero on-board.
Sarge,
Could you post Rob's web site? I have it bookmarked but it won't hook up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

I can do that for you....Rob and I exchange work all the time. He is a great guy!

www.simplyrugged.com

Tell him Lever sent ya! :D
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Levergun,
Thanks. That was the URL I had, but it wouldn't open. But from your link it opened. Weird.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

My pleasure, glad I could help.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Sorry guys,

i was glued to a mower for the day. Thanks for posting that!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I can vouch for Lever's crossdraw single action rig. I've had mine for several years now, and have nothing but praise for it. It isn't quite this pristine anymore, but that's the good thing about leather. It just gets better looking the more used it gets.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I use a simplyrugged pancake for my .45C Vaquero--cross draw, weak side reverse vertical, and mostly strong side. I plan to order a cuda or simliar from simplyrugged for my FNP-40.

rimrock
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

rimrock wrote:I use a simplyrugged pancake for my .45C Vaquero--cross draw, weak side reverse vertical, and mostly strong side. I plan to order a cuda or simliar from simplyrugged for my FNP-40.

rimrock
AND???? What is the report? Do you like it? what is good, what don't you like? How 'bout a pic? We love eye candy!!! :D
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Hey Jeepnik,

Ya know what, I have been watching you post this pic for so long now, I think it would really be cool to have a pic of what the set up REALLY looks like after what? 7 years now? WOW! Time flies! :D
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Levergun wrote:Hey Jeepnik,

Ya know what, I have been watching you post this pic for so long now, I think it would really be cool to have a pic of what the set up REALLY looks like after what? 7 years now? WOW! Time flies! :D
That long? I'm getting old and my memory must be fading, I thought it was just a couple. I'll try and take a few.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Its been so long that I only remember Jeepnik. I do not even know you name. e-mail me your name and I will look it up.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com