The American Sportsman...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

The American Sportsman...

Post by cshold »

I remember this show with the fond memories of a young boy, watching this show every Sunday afternoon with his Dad through the sixties and seventies. Wow! I didn’t realize this show was aired until 1986 the year my own son was born. 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Sportsman
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The American Sportsman...

Post by Rusty »

I have an taped interview with Curt Gowdy in it where he talks about the show. The interviewer asked Curt if all the stuff and people were real. I thought that was the best question of the day. He said some people they had on were real sports men and it showed. Others were just there because their agent said it would be good for their career. He wouldn't give up the fakes, but he did say Fess Parker was the real deal. Phil Harris was a great salt water angler, and Terry Bradshaw was one of the most intense competitors he ever saw. They took Terry tarpon fishing here in Florida and Terry hooked a fish.
he fought it till it was about 5' from the boat and something happened that the fish got loose. Curt said Bradshaw, clothes and all jumped in the water after his now exhausted fish. I guess Bradshaw didn't know ( or maybe didn't care) that the most common predator of a full grown tarpon is an even bigger hammerhead shark.

I've always wanted to meet Terry Bradshaw just to ask him about that trip.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

always looked forward to that show with Curt Gowdy...when i was a kid...

i think his son has a outdoor show now too....

another show my dad and i watched back then was benny hill :lol: :lol: :lol:
re-runs of the rifleman....BTW the rifleman is on AMC on sat mornings
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Watched American Sportsman, Wild Kingdom, waiting for or just after Sunday dinner (best meal of the week). Good times!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Does anyone remember "The Flying Fisherman" Gadabout Gaddis. I think his show predated them all. He used to fly his plane to fishin' spots all over this continent. There's a pretty good fanzine dedicated to him at this address:

http://www.gadaboutgaddis.com/

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

soon 2 retire wrote:Does anyone remember "The Flying Fisherman" Gadabout Gaddis. I think his show predated them all. He used to fly his plane to fishin' spots all over this continent. There's a pretty good fanzine dedicated to him at this address:

Bob in NE Indiana
Wow! That name Gadabout Gaddus is so familiar. I can't honestly say I remember if it was watching the show or Dad telling me about the show, he watched them all.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

soon 2 retire wrote:Does anyone remember "The Flying Fisherman" Gadabout Gaddis. I think his show predated them all. He used to fly his plane to fishin' spots all over this continent. There's a pretty good fanzine dedicated to him at this address:

Bob in NE Indiana
I'm sure I saw when I could.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I loved A H too... Watched it as often as I could... I remember one show where they had various celebrities competing in an Antelope hunt.... I don’t remember who one it as the fellow I was rooting for missed his shot...Barely.... It was a steep downhill shot on a running buck at least 100yd away...the animal was lead perfectly but I guess Roy Rogers didn’t compensate for the downhill angle as the shot went high....
Wild Kingdom.. Never will forget the time Marlin & Stan decided to rope bear from horseback and then tranquilize....Rather than chance darting and having a tranquilized animal get off lost somewhere to die... They got one roped and barefoot Stan ran down the rope like you would a steer at a Rodeo, except Marlin let slack in the rope and the bear then throwed the rope....So Stan Brock was running for his life toward the nearest tree (a small tree with a low limb! LOL)..bear claws swiping inches from his buttocks every stride...At the end Stan was hanging upside down from a limb sorta like a Deer slung on a pole.... The bear below looking like it didn’t quite know what to do next......Least that’s the way I remember it...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Curt Gowdy Signature Berkeley Para/Metric 6'3" fly rod.
The pocket rocket, made for big fish in tiny overhung water - the first computer-designed rod taper (modeled after Paul Young bamboo rods)

Definitely watched Curt Gowdy as a kid, but the show I remember best was Lone Star Sportsman with Jim Thomas.

Gaddabout Gaddis - the KT Diaries show is pretty much modeled after that. If anybody watched KT Diaries last weekend, I was on it fishing endemic Guadalupe bass with KT - sorry, I didn't get any warning or I would have posted it.