just a goofy question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

just a goofy question

Post by smokenrust »

Has anyone ever tried to machined one of these to work?
'Replica 1892 Loop Lever-Action Carbine Movie Prop Gun'
http://cgi.ebay.com/Replica-1892-Loop-L ... ltDomain_0
or, 'Replica 1866 "Yellow Boy" Lever-Action Carbine Prop Gun'
http://cgi.ebay.com/Replica-1866-Yellow ... ltDomain_0
Man, they look pretty crudely made to me. Think it would be a major waste of time.
Just courious how much is "authentic" in action and replication.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: just a goofy question

Post by Pisgah »

Actually, for movie prop guns they look pretty good. Many props are just cast in one piece, with no moving parts, and painted up a bit to make them look realistic on camera. That's all they have to do -- look good on camera -- and if you have ever seen any movie stars in person, you will quickly realize that that's not hard to do! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I dare say those are made from heavily painted pot metal and if somehow you did get one to fire a live round, it would grenade in your face.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pisgah wrote:Actually, for movie prop guns they look pretty good. Many props are just cast in one piece, with no moving parts, and painted up a bit to make them look realistic on camera. That's all they have to do -- look good on camera -- and if you have ever seen any movie stars in person, you will quickly realize that that's not hard to do! :D
Ooh. No lie! I met Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke) once. Dreams were squashed.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I understand that some of the movie prop guns were made of "cast rubber" or some such. Then when they were thrown around or needed to beat on someone's head, little damage would be done. Even one of the Terminator's big guns (I didn't see the movie) were made of very light material so that he could hold it and swing it around more easily. Don't know that this is fact, but saw some such guns for sale by Little John's Auction mentioned in an earlier thread a while ago.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I'd cry foul. They say it's a movie prop gun but it has a permanently afixed blaze orange plug in the barrel?

I doubt a real movie prop would have the orange plug.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote:I think I'd cry foul. They say it's a movie prop gun but it has a permanently afixed blaze orange plug in the barrel?

I doubt a real movie prop would have the orange plug.
Yea, you'd think it might stand out a bit in the movie!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

At least proper sight type and location--including the carbine ladder sight. Also the barrel band on the forestock isn't bad. Most 92 "replica guns"--even otherwise ok looking ones--inexplicably have the bands almost halfway back up the forestock, ruining the entire illusion for a display gun they "could" be real. Seems like it'd be just as easy to make it right than not!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

smokenrust,

Those repilca guns are mass-produced by DENIX, in Spain. They are, essentially, wallhangers that you can play with. A few times, on GunBrokers' "Ask the Experts" forum, inexperienced "gun owners" wanted to know how to load their Denix replicas. ...or, they questioned the value of their "inherited rifle", or "how do I demill this rifle with the stopped-up barrel?". They are a bit crude, but they have fooled enough people, potmetal, crude wood, and all.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage