.475 Linebaugh in a lever action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shodan
Levergunner

.475 Linebaugh in a lever action

Post by Shodan »

Anyone here know of a company that makes a lever action rifle chambered in .475 Linebaugh? I am looking for a revolver in that caliber now, and would love to be able to find a rifle in that caliber too, to have a matched pair. Or would anyone know of a lever gun company that could work a custom chambering for me?
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .475 Linebaugh in a lever action

Post by 1886 »

Drop Mic McPherson a line. There is a member here who has a Marlin 94 so chambered. Mic did the work. 1886.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Shodan wrote:Anyone here know of a company that makes a lever action rifle chambered in .475 Linebaugh? I am looking for a revolver in that caliber now, and would love to be able to find a rifle in that caliber too, to have a matched pair. Or would anyone know of a lever gun company that could work a custom chambering for me?
With peak SAAMI chamber pressures of 48,000 psi the .475 Linebaugh or .480 Ruger would make much more prudent light lever action cartridge choices than the considerably more "aggressive" .454 Casull (65,000 psi) & very likely parts would not be falling off the gun or its shooter with every round fired.

I'd like to see a Ruger Model 96/475L or 96/480R lever developed.

For reference purposes the maximum SAAMI chamber pressure for the .44 Remington Magnum cartridge is 36,000 psi & the Ruger 96/44 handles it without a problem.

I don't know of anybody who has re-chambered a Ruger Model 96 lever action for larger cartridges or how much of a safety factor is built into the Ruger Model 96.........considering it's a Ruger the 96 probably has lots of strength to spare.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

If you've got the money here's a link:

http://www.drcfirearms.com/

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

This is a funny thread... (IMO)

Back in the late '80s I was begging and pleading with Jim West to make me a .475 Linbaugh Lever.

He wouldn't touch it.

He also wouldn't touch a .454 Lever.

Now look at things. :? :x :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

soon 2 retire wrote:If you've got the money here's a link:

Bob in NE Indiana
Any range reports on the DRC Lever Action Rifle ??

Does any board member own one?

For that kind of money (approx $2500 baseline) we shouldn't have to worry about the gun arriving pre-rusted in the box or falling to pieces on the firing line. :evil:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Wonder how well that DRC 454 cal will shoot 45 long Colt?
Base Pin Maker
Levergunner

Post by Base Pin Maker »

I really like my Ruger #1 in .475. Very pleasant shooting with factory level loads. Kelye @ Belt Mtn
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Base Pin Maker wrote:I really like my Ruger #1 in .475. Very pleasant shooting with factory level loads. Kelye @ Belt Mtn
The #1 is a real strong & dependable gun but it's a one trick Clydesdale & too slow & heavy for my purpose......hunting.
I want a light weight lever action as powerful as it can be while still being safe, reliable & dependable.
I'd like to see the Rossi M92 in something like a .475 Linebaugh or .480 Ruger which operate at 48,000 psi..........that's the logical limit for light weight levers in the <$700 category.
If I decide to go heavier (in weight & on the wallet) it will be a Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin with an 18.5" barrel that only weights 7 pounds & has a "field proven" track record of still being in one piece after the first box of ammo. :wink:
If most guys even thought about buying a $2500 DRC they'd be in divorce court faster than you could say "Pack yer suitcases"
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

Bob in NE Indiana
That is great that someone has built lever guns for those large bore pistol cartridges! Thanks for the info with the website. But with the .357 and .44 being so available with revolver rifle combos, i can't figure out why there havent been more companies taking the next step up and building rifles for more revolver cartridges like the .454 and .475 linebaugh and the .500 linebaugh and s&w.... but unfortunately, the drc firearms are a little out of my price range. I think that it would be more likely for me to purchase another guide gun and have it rechambered...
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Shodan wrote:

Bob in NE Indiana
That is great that someone has built lever guns for those large bore pistol cartridges! Thanks for the info with the website. But with the .357 and .44 being so available with revolver rifle combos, i can't figure out why there havent been more companies taking the next step up and building rifles for more revolver cartridges like the .454 and .475 linebaugh and the .500 linebaugh and s&w.... but unfortunately, the drc firearms are a little out of my price range. I think that it would be more likely for me to purchase another guide gun and have it rechambered...
I think that's all the DRCs really are under their shiny tacti-cool add on hardware is gussied up Marlins. :wink:
Buy some basic Marlin .45-70s for way less than $1000 a piece.......re-chamber them, add a few do-dads, bells, whistles & fancy sights to make them "different" :roll: & resell them for $2500+ each.
Triple your money for a couple of hours work.
The basic principle is simple & has worked for others over the years.
Case in point : A few decades ago somebody took some plain ole pie dough, rolled it out into a flat circle, threw on some tomato paste, a few sprinkles of cheese and sliced salami, baked it in an oven & called it pizza & now their descendants are money makin fools. :mrgreen:
Goes to show you all yah need is some imagination & a gimmick & yer off to the financial races & laughing all the way to the bank :lol: .
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I think the DRC leverguns like those of Big Horn Armory are totally redesigned from the ground up for the cartridges listed. I don't think anyone is going to re-chamber a marlin and have it hold together against the pressure of a .454, .500 S&W, 460 S&W, etc.; I don't think anyone who has read what Buck Elliott has written on this forum would even believe such a thing possible. They may have borrowed form the Marlin design but there is no way they use a Marlin receiver and internals. Some things do actually cost more because they are worth it; it does not matter whether we can afford them or not.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

soon 2 retire wrote:I think the DRC leverguns like those of Big Horn Armory are totally redesigned from the ground up for the cartridges listed. I don't think anyone is going to re-chamber a marlin and have it hold together against the pressure of a .454, .500 S&W, 460 S&W, etc.; I don't think anyone who has read what Buck Elliott has written on this forum would even believe such a thing possible. They may have borrowed form the Marlin design but there is no way they use a Marlin receiver and internals. Some things do actually cost more because they are worth it; it does not matter whether we can afford them or not.

Bob in NE Indiana
Well stated.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Mic McPherson was building 475 Linebaughs on Marlin 1895's a while back. He would only build them on the blued steel models. I inquired about a conversion on my stainless steel guide gun, but he stated it did not have the strength needed for the conversion. There was an article somewhere on line discussing his conversion and how well they shot. I believe there was also an article on the DRC conversions available on line as well. Another source for a conversion would be Ben Forkin in Montana. I believe he used a Marlin 1894 for his conversions to 475 Linebaugh and 50 AE.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

LSI Puma made a 92 in 480 Ruger. I have one. I figured that it wouldn't be a big seller so I got one before they were discontinued. I had enquired about opening the chamber up to take the 475 Linebaugh. I think the cartridge was too long. Now if you trimmed the 475 Linebaugh down to the same length as the 454 you could have a cartridge a little longer than the 480 Ruger. I doubt the money and effort would be worth it. IIRC jeff Quinn pushed a 275 Barnes DPX to 1800 fps. Corbon loads the same bullet in 480 Ruger ammo. How fast do you need the bullet to go? I think a little 6 lb carbine with 10 420 gr Beartooth WFN bullets would solve just about any close range problem you might have. I am not sure but I think there are still 92s to be had in 480 Ruger.
475Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 475Marlin »

475 marlin
475Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 475Marlin »

475Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 475Marlin »

Almost 2000 rounds thru my McPherson 475 and it still shoots better than I do!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

You can always find a winchester BB 94 .444 marlin. you can load it to kill anything on the planet. A BFR in .444 is a little big on the large side :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Model 92 in .480 handles the 410 grain WFN hard cast very well. Using H4227 I am getting good velocity, and better accuracy out it. The H4227 is a little slower in the Super Red Hawk than H110/W296, or L'IL Gun. It gives better accuracy for me than does Longshot, though I don't know why. In the M92, the H4227 actually gives almost the same velocity as H110/W296 and seems to give less recoil. I have tried the 425 grain WFN, and you have to work the lever like you mean it. If you try to be too gentle, the 425 grain bullets are at the edge of being maximum length and will grab at the chamber instead of just going in. When they hit, they hit with authority. One wild pig did a barrell roll after being hit in the side. The .480 is a very good round in a levergun. I like other calibers, too, but my favorite is the .480.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

If most guys even thought about buying a $2500 DRC they'd be in divorce court faster than you could say "Pack yer suitcases"
or your next-of-kin would be filing a missing persons report with the local PD...yikes...:0
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

NonPCnraRN wrote:Corbon loads the same bullet in 480 Ruger ammo. How fast do you need the bullet to go?
Yeah, but the original poster wanted a .475 to match his handgun. I guess he could always fire his 'light' .480 Ruger loads in the rifle or handgun, and save the really heavy .475 Linebaugh ones for his handgun only. (Seems backwards, I know...)
tman wrote:You can always find a winchester BB 94 .444 marlin. you can load it to kill anything on the planet. A BFR in .444 is a little big on the large side :wink:
That's the probelm.

I love my .375 Mag revolver/levergun combo, and have the same 'set' in .44 Mag and .45 Colt (I've been collecting 35 years or so), and there's PLENTY of power in any of those to down a whitetail or defend a homestead, but . . . it still would be cool to have a revolver/levergun pair in something shooting an even heavier bullet, out of a short enough cartridge to work in a short-action like the Marlin 1894 or Winchester/Rossi 92 or Ruger 96. I wouldn't care if it were .475 Linebaugh vs. .480 Ruger that much - either would do. I'd prefer the single action revolver not bigger frame-wise than a Super Blackhawk, if a 5-shot cylinder would work in it, and I'd definitely want the shorter action levergun.

Sounds like if you spend enough money, you CAN get a .475 Linebaugh pair. I'd have to sell two of my three 'sets' though. (Hmmm... maybe a .375 Mag and a .475 LB pair WOULD fully bracket my "needs"). Leverguns surely ARE addicting... :lol:
soon 2 retire wrote:They may have borrowed form the Marlin design but there is no way they use a Marlin receiver and internals.
Yep - THIS is not a 'Marlin' receiver...
Not just a Marlin.jpg
(Image from http://www.drcfirearms.com)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
475Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 475Marlin »

SJPrice wrote:Mic McPherson was building 475 Linebaughs on Marlin 1895's a while back. He would only build them on the blued steel models. I inquired about a conversion on my stainless steel guide gun, but he stated it did not have the strength needed for the conversion. There was an article somewhere on line discussing his conversion and how well they shot. I believe there was also an article on the DRC conversions available on line as well. Another source for a conversion would be Ben Forkin in Montana. I believe he used a Marlin 1894 for his conversions to 475 Linebaugh and 50 AE.

He builds them on the 1894 frame. 475Marlin
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I think the big difference between the .475 and .480 is pressures. When John cut down a .480 SRH barrel to 4 1/2" inches for me he looked at the cylinders and said they could be reamed to his .475 easy.Of course when I chronoed the shorter barrel at his place and came up with 1150fps for a 405gr (loss of 25fps) he said he would even back it down to 1000. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote: ...I'd prefer the single action revolver not bigger frame-wise than a Super Blackhawk, if a 5-shot cylinder would work in it, and I'd definitely want the shorter action levergun...

The 475 and 500 Linebaughs are made on regular Ruger frames. There's no difference in frame size from a 357 to 44/45 Colt in the Blackhawks (or Supers) of old "standard" size, or adjuatable sighted Bisleys. The only frames that were different are the "new" vaqueros (smaller), and the smaller sized Blackhawks (flat tops?) in certain calibers. All the 475's and 500's on Ruger frames are 5 shooters.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

For that kinda money I could buy a Turnbull model 1886/71 in .475 Turnbull caliber which would make any of the DRCs seem like a kids pellet gun in comparison.
The weight of the firearm would be about the same.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
475Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 475Marlin »

pricedo wrote:
For that kinda money I could buy a Turnbull model 1886/71 in .475 Turnbull caliber which would make any of the DRCs seem like a kids pellet gun in comparison.
The weight of the firearm would be about the same.

Well my McPherson Marlin 1894 is just that. A real Marlin. Not a DRC. And a turnbull will make a 475 Linebaugh seem like a kids pellet gun? Ha! The reviews on the Turnbull aren't that great. Linebaugh cartridges on the other hand... Just sayin...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

When all is said and done------and the merry go round stops spinning round and round-----------------
It's still sitting there back in the shadows and as the dust clears it reappears as if almost magical (100+years as such)

45-70 Govt(nice slick lever)--------------------why look elsewhere ??? :wink: :D

I know----new things seem cool (and they are)but properly loaded (for what you can do with a lever) a 45-70 on this earth will about do(and do it very well) :mrgreen:

http://www.basspro.com/Marlin-1895-45/7 ... /10218339/

Honestly------see no gain switching except (maybe fun aspect)and like spending $$$$
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

pricedo wrote:
Base Pin Maker wrote:I really like my Ruger #1 in .475. Very pleasant shooting with factory level loads. Kelye @ Belt Mtn
The #1 is a real strong & dependable gun but it's a one trick Clydesdale & too slow & heavy for my purpose......hunting.
I want a light weight lever action as powerful as it can be while still being safe, reliable & dependable.
I'd like to see the Rossi M92 in something like a .475 Linebaugh or .480 Ruger which operate at 48,000 psi..........that's the logical limit for light weight levers in the <$700 category.
If I decide to go heavier (in weight & on the wallet) it will be a Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin with an 18.5" barrel that only weights 7 pounds & has a "field proven" track record of still being in one piece after the first box of ammo. :wink:
the rossi/taurus 92 is available in 480 ruger and 454; i have one of each. have barely used the 480 [ havent had it long ]; have had the 454 for at least 6 years, i think. have shot quite a few factory loads in it [ as well as stout 45 colt loads ]. works fine with these loads, no parts falling off, no obvious problems. those who have the 480 say theirs work fine too.

wouldnt mind having the DRC or the big horn in 500 S&W, but for my use and my$ these are just fine. i believe the 92 is a bit stronger than the marlin for these uses.

i do live, hike, hunt, play in bear country and always have a revolver with me when doing so. i tend to carry my S&W 329 because of its light weight or a custom ruger single action 45 colt with 335 gr hardcast, but do have a 454 and 480 revolver that i dont usually carry unless i have one of the leverguns with me in the same caliber.

when i really feel the need to be prepared i always reach for my custom browning 1886 lever gun. the load is usually a hard cast 400 gr at just over 2000 fps...... if that doesnt work i guess my time was just up anyway.
cable
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

IIRC, Marlin catalogued a 475 Linebaugh for a very short time before Freedom bought them. I think it was on the 1895/336 action though. Once you get there I just as soon have a rifle length cartridge.

Maybe a used Rossi 480 is your best bet for the rifle. Idk about the handguns though. FA is excellent but very pricey. The Ruger is huge.

Personally, I think I'll stick with 44 magnum or 45 Colt as my upper limit for handgun/rifle combos. Good luck in your quest.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Somebody offered a 92 chambered in .454, but I don't see em anymore. Perhaps too much cartridge for the action over an extended time, so I'm glad its not around any more. My BB 94 in .444 kicks like a mule. In 450 Marlin with 400 grain bullets, it might be unbearable. Perhaps the manufactores are looking at a 100+ year old action with the possibilty of modern handloaders pushing loads above 60+PSI. I think they made the right move.
475Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 475Marlin »

My opinion is... Anyone can go to Wal-mart or Dick's or Big-5 and buy a run of the mill rifle. Why? That's their choice. Owning a one of a kind and collectible firearm is a privilege, having it made by a master gunsmith to your specs? Priceless. If Wal-Mart is your preferred and norm? Good for you. But don't criticize those of us that invest in firearms for owning a one of a kind make to order gun. I guarantee my resale value will beat your Wal-mart matched price any day.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is generally true, and i have certainly bought and had created some special ones, including my custom browning 1886...... and as you say, the satisfaction, comfort, confidence, etc. it gives me, means that most others would go before i would part with this one.

:)
cable
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My Lyman Manual shows 55,000 psi (max) for the .475, while the SPEER manual shows 50,000 psi for the cartridge.. BOTH books indicate the .480 at 48,000 psi.. In the Real World, that is not a huge difference..

Years ago, while I was finishing up my .454 rifle, I converted a few 1886 Brownings to John Linebaugh's .475 Maximum. Using John's maximum, recommended loads of W-680, I got only 1875 fps (26" barrel..) with a CPB 440 grain, GC bullet, where pressure signs began raising their spiteful little heads..

The plan was, that once I got the .454 running satisfactorilly, I would move up a bit to the .475L, the .475 Maximum and the .500L and Maximum.. Sadly, I wasn't able to keep going and realize those dreams.. Today, I would substitute the .500 S&W for John's .500s..

The .475 Linebaugh CAN be made to work in the '92 action, but probably shouldn't be.. The angled locking geometry does not handle the thrust of those big, heavy bullets, at their maximum pressures, as well as the squared-up locking of the '86 types.. That is one of the faults of Big Horn's .500 S&W leverguns.. The big .500 is nominally a 60,000 psi cartridge, although it is recommended that loads be kept in the 50,000 psi range, to facilitate extraction in double-action revolvers..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

When it comes to firearms, it is not always prudent or practical to attempt to try to make certain cartidges "work" in particular guns, just because they can somehow be made to 'fit..' we have to consider the very high pressures involved, and the strength of materials -- which includes mass and thickness -- and an appropriate margin of safety.. And while some masochists among us may claim that they "enjoy" getting pummeled by heavy loads in '92-sized frames, I make no such claims.. I've never been particularly recoil sensitive, but at my age, I find that I am partial to my creature comforts.. My '86 Extra Light .45-70 and my TTN 1878 coach gun, stuffed with 3" 000 Buck loads give me all the recoil "satisfaction" I desire
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Buck Elliott wrote:... And while some masochists among us may claim that they "enjoy" getting pummeled by heavy loads in '92-sized frames, I make no such claims.. I've never been particularly recoil sensitive, but at my age, I find that I am partial to my creature comforts...

I'm with you there. What used to be fun and games isn't so much any more. Not sure exactly what I should consider the limit for shooting with the partial tears in the right rotator cuff also. I think the most I've shot since it happened is 30-30. I carry a larger gun on the mountain, but have been mindful of recoil and not using max loads, and hoping I don't have to shoot.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?