Trail Boss and the .257 Roberts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Trail Boss and the .257 Roberts?

Post by awp101 »

I need a low pressure load with enough ooomph to hunt up to deer sized game out to 100-125yds. It has to be low pressure because the rifle is a 115 year old (give or take a year or two) Kar88 (carbine version of the Gew88) that was rebarreled to .257 Roberts many years ago and I don't want to stress it anymore than necessary without turning it into a wall hanger.

I thought about Trail Boss last night (after I shut the computer down...DOH!). What I found this morning at Cast Boolits this morning (one of the few websites I can access at work) leaves me confused. It looks like it might be running higher pressures with lower velocities? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67943

IF I can find a load that's easy on the rifle while still being able to bring home the bacon (so to speak), I'll have one less project on my hands.

BTW, jacketed loads preferred.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Re: Trail Boss and the .257 Roberts?

Post by Hobie »

From Hodgdon...

This is .250 Savage performance...
90 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon H335 .257" 2.775" 39.0 2951 30,600 CUP

PS - Trail Boss is an inappropriate powder for the use.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks! Once I get home I'll do more digging but that gives me something to chew on for the rest of the day.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I'd suggest getting a Speer reloading manual, It has reduced powder loads for all kinds of cartridges. HTH
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Trail Boss is a pretty fast powder, so I doubt if it would give you the lowest pressure for the same velocity. Sure, the loads listed aren't high pressure, but the velocity is quite low as well.

Hojjjdon's site gave me cast bullet loads for H4895 (in another caliber) that gives pressures from 15,000 - 20,000 cup, and velocities are 1400 - 1600. With Trail Boss your velocities would be more like 900. Pressures would probably be under 30k but I doubt if they'd be under 20k.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have seen the following load listed in the past; 19grs of IMR SR4759 ignited by a CCI-200 primer with a Speer 120gr SP projectile. Never tried the load, just seen it published. There should be plenty of reliable data out there. 1886.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I never thought about .250 Savage info. I understand the two rounds are similar but didn't know it would work like that.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the purpose of TB. I was under the impression it was developed for CAS and gave pressures similar to BP. At least that was what I thought I was reading on the various forums. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, nor the last... :lol:

The Kar was designed for the original 8x57 loading, same as the Gew88. After talking it over with a couple of Mauser 'smiths I know on another forum they are of the mind that standard pressure .257 loads would be fine. I think if I stay around the 35K limit SAAMI has for commercial 8x57 loads (which is pretty low as it is) I'll have a safe, effective load. It's not like this rifle is going to see even hundreds of rounds a year. Even "dozens" would be a stretch.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is NOT .250 Savage data it is .250 Savage PERFORMANCE.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ah, got it. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My old Speer manual goes with sr4759 for reduced loads. 17grn max for 87 and 100grn bullets and 15grn being the lowest for those two bullets.

120grn max of 19grn of sr4759 and 17grn the lowest.

Quoted charges hover at 2000fps out of a Ruger 77 24".

Best wishes.

My home grown reduced loads however not in the Roberts have done well with H4227 around 16grn. 60 grners in 243 and 110grn in 308 and 30/30. Caution however,,,,,,

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think if I stay around the 35K limit SAAMI has for commercial 8x57 loads (which is pretty low as it is) I'll have a safe, effective load.
That's pretty generous on the pressure allowance, so you could certainly use Trail Boss. You can develop your own TB load using their formula, (I believe it's fill to 70% of available space, and work up, but check this out). But I still think the velocity will be lower than you have to accept for the same pressure.

Trail Boss was made for people that want to load safely, and are shooting short range in CASS and such. It's when you want a soft kick and low velocity. They're doing rapid fire and don't want a hard kick to spoil their aim. If you want to hunt deer with it I think you will want more velocity than this.

Having said this, I did have a good time with Trail Boss and the 30-30 a while back; I cranked up the tang sight all the way and was dinging the metal plate from 200 yards. It was quite accurate at that range. Waiting for the bullet to come down was interesting, but it was "ding" every time I did my part.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You can shoot trail boss in any cartridge ever made according to Hodgden. It is NOT intended however to load high velocity loads. It IS intended to load cast bullet low velocity plinker type loads.

I shoot lots of Trail Boss and use only cast bullets at a little over 1000- 1400 fps in rifle calibers. and for cowboy in the .45 Colt at about 800 fps. :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

El Chivo wrote: Trail Boss was made for people that want to load safely, and are shooting short range in CASS and such. It's when you want a soft kick and low velocity. They're doing rapid fire and don't want a hard kick to spoil their aim. If you want to hunt deer with it I think you will want more velocity than this.
Chuck 100 yd wrote:It is NOT intended however to load high velocity loads. It IS intended to load cast bullet low velocity plinker type loads.
OK, I think this is where my misperception (if that ain't a real word, it ought to be) came to life. I understood it was developed for CAS but I thought it maintained (or at least stayed close to) BP pressures. That's why I was surprised by the high pressure/low velocity combo.

If I can find standard pressure loads locally I'll run those and check the headspace every so often to avoid surprises.

Thanks all! :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

You may find the following site of use:

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

H4895 is a very usefull powder.

Cheers Mark
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I would suggest, SR4759, AA5744 & Alliant Reloader 7. One of the powders will give you good accuracy and ballistics for which you desire. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just about every cartridge out there seems to have a reduced-load published using IMR SR4759.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "