My 92 Japchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

My 92 Japchester

Post by hondo1892 »

I made it to the cabin this last weekend and was able to shoot my new toy. The rifle has good fit and finnish although I like the old reddish winchester color better. My rifle has the cresant butt plate on it and it was hard on the shoulder shooting Remmington factory 240 grainers. The action is very smooth and it fed 180, 200, and 240 grain bullets without a flaw. I can't shoot the the rifle as well as I would like. The smallest group was 1-3/4" at 50 yards, three shots made it in at 3/4" . The bead on the front sight covers a full 8" at fifty yard and makes it diffacult fo me to shoot precisley. It's good enough for deer to 100 yards but I don't think I could hit a coyote at that distance with it. It's more my eyes than the sights I know. If I find a older Marlin for a good price I'll pick it up so I can scope it. I've always wanted a 92 and this is a fun shooter and with practice I may get better with the sites I may change the front out for a blade also. The saftey and rebounding hammer doesn't bother me to much. I don't like all the added moving parts but I had no missfires from the rebounding hammer. The biggest thing that bothers me is all the writing on the barrel. Both sides covered about half way up, I don't like a bunch of needless writing on my barrels. I also shot my little Smith & Wesson 34. It is a great little revolver to carry around the property never know its there. I just need smaller hands. :)
Thats Hondo sticking his head around the tree.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: My 92 Japchester

Post by Old Savage »

You got the cool stuff - love the pistol.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Looks good but I'm with U on the wood, prefer it darker. U didn't mention caliber,would have to guess 44 or 45 cause @ 240 grns It aint 25-20
I like the Knife, it looks like it has a Pizza cutter wheel on the end.
I know what U mean on the Eyes.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Yes its a 44 magnum. Here's a couple more photo's of it. The knife is one I made copying an original.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

hondo1892 wrote: I can't shoot the the rifle as well as I would like. It's good enough for deer to 100 yards but I don't think I could hit a coyote at that distance with it. It's more my eyes than the sights I know.
Hondo, if you were to put a Williams peep on the back and a small ivory bead up front, I'll bet your eyes would improve dramatically and coyotes at 100 yards would be "duck soup". I have the same sight situation on a newly acquired Browning 32-20 and that sight change is going to be my next improvement to the rifle.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Lovely rifle and thanks for the report. That wood looks just fine to me but if you think it's too light or not red enough the Browning 92s must really bother you! This at least looks like something akin to a Winchester. :wink:

Perhaps a leather cuff on the butt stock will solve the steel crescent blues? Some lighter loads would be my first order of business as well.

Thanks again!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Oly I did have a few light loads made up and they were fun shooers. The wood looks better in the photo's than in person. It kinda has a grayish look to it in hand.
Gary Norsk
Levergunner

Post by Gary Norsk »

Just got one in .357 only and 9 shot. Cut some mag. spring coils now 10 shot. Has solid steel follower, I like that. Rebounding hammer, well that's going away. Need peep sight, I would remove tang safety plug hole and drill and tap tang for one screw in front and original screw at rear. Mine has .002" primer back set "headspace" from a brass case. Fit and finish is outstanding as well as chamber and barrel. Gary
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you're using the "bead is the bullet" hold and that bead covers 8" at 50 yards you've turned a 150 yd gun into a 50 yd gun.

My suggestion is to use a 6:00 hold and get a smaller bead. You'd be amazed at the difference.
First of all when you start using a 6:00 hold you don't obliterate the target with the sight.
Second with a small bead you see more of the surrounding areas of the animal / target.
A win-win situation.

I've been shooting my lever guns like this for a decade or four and it really does work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Hondo
I have this same rifle. I had Leverguns make me a butt cuff for the stock, that took most of the bite out of it. I put a williams Receiver sight on mine and that with the factory front sight is a much better sight picture. I did my own D+T on the receiver and may get rid of the rebounding hammer. I dont know it really hasn't bothered me yet, I've never had a misfire and I don't use the safety. It's a Great shooting rifle, very accurate. Good luck with it.
Karl
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Joe, I used the "the bullet is the bead" and the six o clock hold. I shot about the same groups with both holds. However my eyes aren't as young and even the six o clock hold things are fuzzy at the target. The bead on it is 1/16" I think. Do they make smaller beads than that? I'll keep tinkering with it. Its all for fun anyways. The but stock will probably get switched to a shotgun style. I hope that takes out a lot of the puch also.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Peep/ aperture sight +4. You may find a blade is even better than the beads. Ive seen some pics of a blade w/ a white stripe down the face. It should be good on paper or dim light game. I think it may be a Williams. I havent gotten organized enough to find one for my Puma yet but its in the schedule.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Beautiful firearms... but I think I just fell in love with that tomahawk! :mrgreen:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Why does that buttplate hurt you?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hondo,

For some reason folks seem to think I've got young mans eyes. I'll be 59 this coming August. I know what we all are going through.
However I still shoot well with open irons. Perhaps it's because I've done it all my live, never having relied on optical systems.

The one other sight set up I really like is like several others above have said; a peep sight with a square post front sight. That peep sight does wonders for things. All my leverguns either have them, or I have the sights waiting for when I can get them D&T'd for them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm w/YK, love the 'hawk! :mrgreen: I prefeer posts on all my riflles... :twisted: Beads are for shotguns and hippie doorways! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

The hawks is how I support my bad habits. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

hondo1892 wrote:The hawks is how I support my bad habits. :D
Nice rifle, nice knife, but that hawk. You've gotta tell us about that. I've made a couple and want to get into making more. Fill us in there Hondo.
Old Law Dawg
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Got to go with these guys, put a PEEP on that thing! My eyesight is like yours, can't get all 3 sighting points to focus sharp at once.. a Peep will CURE that problem!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've been putting fiber front sights on my stuff and it helps. Even a big bead can be centered on game or targets, but there are some reasonably fine fiber ones around. I found that fiber front in a stock notched barrel rear sight works well enough to 100, so far.

I use the bead is the bullet sight picture, have all my life, and only started using a 6 o'clock hold with my semi auto carry guns, they seem to prefer it. I had a very fine bead on my superblackhawk meat gun and it was a no-miss tool. Long barrel helped too. And rear peep. Been a hard working combo on my guns.

I think it's all about how you train and how your gray cell triggers the let off. I can't get comfortable with a post in a peep sight. Yup, it's how you train. Then when you're a real grown-up you have some residuals to get ya along... LOL

Best,

Grizz
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester.................The Second Generation.

Post by pricedo »

hondo1892 wrote:I made it to the cabin this last weekend and was able to shoot my new toy. The rifle has good fit and finnish although I like the old reddish winchester color better. My rifle has the cresant butt plate on it and it was hard on the shoulder shooting Remmington factory 240 grainers. The action is very smooth and it fed 180, 200, and 240 grain bullets without a flaw. I can't shoot the the rifle as well as I would like. The smallest group was 1-3/4" at 50 yards, three shots made it in at 3/4" . The bead on the front sight covers a full 8" at fifty yard and makes it diffacult fo me to shoot precisley. It's good enough for deer to 100 yards but I don't think I could hit a coyote at that distance with it. It's more my eyes than the sights I know. If I find a older Marlin for a good price I'll pick it up so I can scope it. I've always wanted a 92 and this is a fun shooter and with practice I may get better with the sites I may change the front out for a blade also. The saftey and rebounding hammer doesn't bother me to much. I don't like all the added moving parts but I had no missfires from the rebounding hammer. The biggest thing that bothers me is all the writing on the barrel. Both sides covered about half way up, I don't like a bunch of needless writing on my barrels. I also shot my little Smith & Wesson 34. It is a great little revolver to carry around the property never know its there. I just need smaller hands. :)
Thats Hondo sticking his head around the tree.
Just checked the website of the commercial agglomeration that now calls itself Winchester Repeating Arms.
Man, those second generation Winny lever actions are pricey :!: :shock:
They are nice guns but who has $1500 in this economy to spend on ONE lever gun that cost about $100 when I started shooting :?:
My pre-safety Rossi Puma 92 is stocked with an attractive dark grained Brazilian hardwood & has a rich, lustrous blued finish & is a lot more faithful to the Browning design than the Japchesters with their tang safeties & other finicky gizmos not found on or in an original 92 or 94 and for 1/3 the money. :mrgreen:
Sadly, NONE of the mentioned guns including the Rossi are made in the good ole USA or filling a single American pay envelope.
Congrats on your purchase but I'd have bought a Rossi gun & the Dillon reloading press & new case tumbler I've been wanting with the $900 I saved & still had money left in my pocket.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

The Browning 92 back at double the price. :shock:
Nice gun.......no doubt about that. :)
Too bad it wasn't made in New Haven by American workers. :(
Almost the whole American manufacturing industry has been uprooted & migrated to sweatshops in China & Japan.

No denying that the Moruko boys certainly know how to make a gun.
My Japrowning BLR Takedown is testament to that.......love that rifle.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice combo!.....ya cant beat the model 92!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Congrats on your new 92! I have owned a couple of them, as well as the Browning version, and IMHO, they are the best 92 ever made. Worth every penny.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Pricedo I didn't pay nowhere near that for my rifle. I would have had to do a lot of fast talkin to the little lady if I had spent that much. But my hobby blacksmithing usually brings in enough money to keep me out of hot water. Thanks grizz, so far I really like the rifle. i do wish they were made here in the states though.