OT - M1A vs Garand

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - M1A vs Garand

Post by rjohns94 »

I currently have a scout M1A, scoped, stocked in Walnut and repleat with lots of 20 round mags. I also have a Garand, no scope, wood stock, in 30-06 and 8 round en-blac clips instead of .308 and 20 round mags. So I have both, like both. I have always deffered to the M1A simply because of the capacity of the mags and ease of reloading. BUT.......... I so much prefer the GARAND!!!! I like the feel, the sights, the balance, and not having that big old mag hanging around when I'm going through the woods. I like it so much more that I'm considering selling the scout rifle set up, scope, mags and ammo.

How about you????
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - M1A vs Garand

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

I have neither. I've fired both. If I were fortunate enough to have both like you do, I'd keep both. Each is different enough to fill certain nitches the other doesn't, yet both are capable of doing most of of what the other does.

Umm, did that make sense?

I'd keep 'em both.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I had a Garand. Well, technically I still do, but my youngest seems to have claimed it. I also have a Scout Squad. I prefer the Scout Squad. It's lighter, and shorter. You don't have to use those long 20 round mags, they come in 10 and even 5. It's much easier to scope the Scout.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the flush bottom of the Garand stock, although the 10-shot M1A magazines are pretty compact, and you can just use them, and just keep a couple 20-round 'zombie' ones just in case.

I like the simpler and fewer and sturdier parts of the M1A, when it comes to the stuff the Garand uses to push up the follower and so on.

So - both those being said, I "like" the M1A better...

...but I can't seem to NOT love the Garand...!

I really don't know why - if it is the WWII history and mystique, or the balance, or what.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Garand.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a Garand and would love to have a milspec M1A. Manly rifles both.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

An interesting aside. I've said many times that the Scout Squad is the rifle we should have had rather than the M16. So, I'm reading the lates American Rifleman, and lo and behold, there's an article about the Army's Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR), and the Marine's Enhanced Marksman Rifle (EMR). It seems that the M16/M4 rifles just don't have the horse power needed. Both are basically M14's with a new pistolgripped telescoping stock and Picatinny rails. Now these have the standard M14 barrel length. But in the article, they mention a rifle the SEALs have that's a short barreled version of the same idea (it predates the EBR and EMR), for CQB.

Now this makes me wonder, did the Army and Marines actually figure out what quite a few (heck, they've been making the Scout for a few years) civilians already knew?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mike Ive shot both and used a M14 select fire in RVN ,best battle rifle ever made, the M1 comes up short keep your M1A. danny
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I shot the M14 in service. I bought a Garand... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I started shooting an M1 Garand when I joined the Florida National Guard, I was in the 10/th grade. I have owned one since 1987.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have both. Wouldn't want to part with either. Love the Garand more for the history of it, but if the excrement hit the spinning blade, I'd rather have the M1A with me.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have to go with the Garand cuz that is all I have. However an M1A is in the future. Always said when I was in the Army that I would have an M14 some day. I've had 1 M1A 20 yrs ago. The aftermarkets have come a long ways. Mine was a Fed Ord.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Garand. If you want something shorter get a "tanker" version.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

This is the M-14 I carried in Iraq in 2003. They let me cut 6in off the barrel, a Leupold scope and put a Smith Enterprise Brake on it for control on Full Auto. It was perfect for what we doing at the time.
I shot both M-1s and M-14s on the rifle team for seven years and the M-14 was easier to get match grade accuracy out of with fewer people who could adjust a Grand correctly to make it shoot well still around.
I will have to go with a M-14 or M1A built correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I HAVE BOTH AND AS FAR AS WHICH ONE DO i LIKE BETTER......WHICH ONE OF YOUR KIDS DO YOU LOVE THE MOST, LOVE EM ALL BUT FOR DIFFERENT REASONS RIGHT? (didn't mean to go TERRY on you didn't realize i had the caps on). TOM
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would go with the GARAND!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thought this would generate a discussion with split sides. I would have to agree that if I had to choose a battle rifle I would go with the M1A in scout config. But I'm thnking I want to use the garand for hunting. Anyone know where to get one of those one shot clips for garand in 30-06????? how do you make one????
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Paladin wrote:This is the M-14 I carried in Iraq in 2003. They let me cut 6in off the barrel, a Leupold scope and put a Smith Enterprise Brake on it for control on Full Auto. It was perfect for what we doing at the time.
I shot both M-1s and M-14s on the rifle team for seven years and the M-14 was easier to get match grade accuracy out of with fewer people who could adjust a Grand correctly to make it shoot well still around.
That looks like a Springfield M1A carbine (not their "official" designation, I know). A couple of friends you have the Socom 16
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:Anyone know where to get one of those one shot clips for garand in 30-06????? how do you make one????
I got a five-shot one at a gun show, and I think they had single-shot ones as well. You might try CheaperThanDirt.com or SportsmansGuide.com or MidwayUSA.com or Brownells.com, but there is a Garand 'forum' I've lost the link for that had such info. May be a sub-forum of the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) forums.

I found this but it didn't look like the one I used to frequent - http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Someone else here will likely know more.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I currently own four M1 Rifles and one M1A. I don't think the M1A was out all last year, but I take one of the M1 Rifles to the range almost every outing. M1A is a great weapon, but there's something intangible about the M1 Rifle that compels me to take one to the range time and again.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Paladin wrote:This is the M-14 I carried in Iraq in 2003. They let me cut 6in off the barrel, a Leupold scope and put a Smith Enterprise Brake on it for control on Full Auto. It was perfect for what we doing at the time.
So basically, your m-14k is a select fire Scout Squad?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i found single shot adaptors at midway (alum) and sportsman supplies (synthetice). Midways was twice the money. not sure it is worth it but looks like the garand might make the woods this fall as a single shot (only way I can use it Pa.
Mike Johnson,

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Ive only shot an M1 Garand in 30-06. However if I had to pick between the two I wold go with the M1A. Ammo is still in use by military and law enforcement and the weapon itself can be modified to fit a variety of applications. While I think the 7.62 round is overpowered for clearing rooms in an urban environment where civilian casualties are an issue it could still be done if neccassary. Only thing that I dont care for about the scout M1A and even the M4 weapons systems is the extra muzzle blast provided by the shorter barrels.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I only have the Garand, got one from CMP that looks brand new. I did fire the M-14 for qualification while in the Army from 1964-1967 and would choose it over the Garand or even my AR-15. But a Springfield M1A is on my short list of future firearm buys. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've owned or owned several M1A's as well as Garands. I love the Garand for the history, but for actual field use I prefer the M1A. The detachable mags and 308 round make the M1A the winner for me.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

No dog in the fight but couldn't pass this up:

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

When I made this choice, I went with a tuned Tanker Garand in .308. There are some shops that do Garand work, but my guy retired and I don't have experience with the rest.

This one puts good rounds into one inch at 100 yards, slung and prone. Havent shot for groups at 300 yards. A great rifle, I really like it. Clips can be found for a good price, bought a bunch and carry them in a Swiss Army bread bag from Cheaper Than Dirt. If I need those 20 round mags, there is a shop that does the conversion for M1A mags.

That said, a good M1A scopes better and parts should be easier to find.

Here it is, next to a 16" M94 for comparison.

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

NOW yer talkin'! I love that tanker. :wink:

I had one of my Garands out today with my son and both of us continue to be amazed at how wonderful that rifle is. It's simply a JOY to shoot, to shoulder, to look at, and to own.

Fulton Armory has one, two, and five shot Garand clips available. So does Brownell's last I looked (that's where I got mine). Fulton Armory will also sell you a guaranteed sub-MOA tack driving Garand or a new tanker if you want one.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

How did I forget about the Mini G? Must be getting old... Shuffs video shows good stuff on his rifle.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

if I ever could justify the cost of a M1A I would insist on a correct length barrel.
But it's not likely I'll ever be able to afford one anyway, so the CMP Garand will have to get the job done.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I also have both, and as much as I like my Garand (my Dad gave it to me) if I had to choose one, it would be my M1A. I REALLY like the 30-06 (actually, my absolute favorite centerfire rifle cartridge) but I enjoy shooting the M1A more than the Garand. Now my 1903s, different story.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

The Garand takes me back......the M1A not so much.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, your link on the mini G, especially the MMG gets the blood flowing this early on a saturday. Lets, see, if I sell the M1A scout, I could convert my Garand to a MMG (a mini scout) and have a kewl part of both worlds!!
Mike Johnson,