Henry Golden Boy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Henry Golden Boy

Post by S.B. »

in .22 LR. Has anybody owned one of these and how does it work for you? From their commercials on tv, they're all made here in the good ol' USA?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry Golden Boy

Post by rodeo kid »

S.B. I have two Henry's, a large loop lever carbine in .22lr and an Acu-bolt in .17hmr. The lever has stock iron sights and the bolt action a 4 power scope. I use the lever for plinking and for squirrels up to 25 or 30 yds. farther than that I use the bolt due to old eyes. The .22 has become my favorite firearm and I shoot it every day. They are both decently built for the price, I only paid $239 for the lever and $299 for the bolt including the scope. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Just checked Henry's website and the brass lever gun is over $500MSRP now? Still cheaper than a used 39A Mountie used.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I've had my Golden Boy for 5-6 years. I really like it. Super smooth. I've put around 5000 rounds through it without a hickup.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

have a goldie in a 22 mag, also a 357, next 1 will be in 22
they fit & work great
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I bought one from a forum member(mod71alaska) about three years ago for my son and he loves it. It has the smoothest lever I've ever seen. Great shooter and looker.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

399.00 at Academy Sports. Seem one there yesterday.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I held one and it felt great, balance and the action. I would have bought it but I already had a 39A (which jams a lot). Not crazy about the brass, but I hear they have a version in blue now.

I also have my eye on their single shot bolt .22.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

if you are going to mount a scope on it, you might want to go with the regular levergun, the golden boys are not scope friendly, because of the drop in the stock
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Henry's used to be made in the Brooklyn section of New York City, but moved last year to New Jersey - I dunno 'bout 'Jersey being in the US, though, what with their gun laws (even though I lived there in high school).

I had a LR Golden Boy, and found I didn't like the weight, not the abrupt way the face of the action transitioned to the barrel.
Henry sells a cantilever scope mount, that replaces the rear barrel sight - but as posted above, the GB's stock drop is also a bit excessive for scope use. It's a sin to scope a lever gun, anyway. ;) :mrgreen:

I also have had both a Henry H001 Standard LR, and a H001T Octagon Frontier, but liked the H001 Standard best, and sold the H001T.
I have a very small peep sight mounted atop the receiver of mive, between the scope mount grooves - and find that it works just fine for hunting with a drop of orange paint on the front sight.