A few from the safe....and one new to me rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

A few from the safe....and one new to me rifle.

Post by Rube Burrows »

Well today I picked up a first year production 1889 Marlin so I had to make room for it in the safe. Since I was digging around in there I figured I would pull a few lever guns out and snap some pics. Hope you enjoy.

First up is the 1889 Marlin. Caliber 32-20

Now....before you comment......I was able to pick this Marlin up at a fairly decent price. It has been restored. Not to brand new condition but just improved upon what was already there. It has really nice Case Colors and pretty good wood. There is one thing I didnt notice about this 89 Marlin that eventually I will correct. Can you find it?

Ok....now for a few more.

These pics were snapped in a gun cabinet that my father-in-law made for me. Its not a bad cabinet but the part where the barrels go could be a little lower. I dont keep guns in this because I dont feel safe with them there. I like them in the safe. Only time it holds guns is when he is over. :mrgreen:

Now for some side views.

Sorry for some of the pics being blurry.....I hate those point and shoot cameras. This little nikon cool pics hardly ever will focus right for me.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: A few from the safe....and one new to me rifle.

Post by Old Savage »

Got levers? :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Old Savage wrote:Got levers? :D
:mrgreen:
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by antilley »

WOW.....
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rube Burrows wrote: Now....before you comment......I was able to pick this Marlin up at a fairly decent price. It has been restored. Not to brand new condition but just improved upon what was already there. It has really nice Case Colors and pretty good wood. There is one thing I didnt notice about this 89 Marlin that eventually I will correct. Can you find it?

Rube,
Those guns all look like they need to taken out and shot, then put some dings on 'em. :D Only in America can an individual have so many pieces and does not have to answer to anyone! Nice going young man :D

Oh, the "little thing" you need to correct? Yep, I've seen hundreds of 1889's and own a few and have yet to see a case colored one. The '94's have the case coloring but with a blued bolt :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mr. Burrows, step right up to the front of the class so you can stand and be recognized. Excellent work, son. And, a beautiful Marlin.
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote: Now....before you comment......I was able to pick this Marlin up at a fairly decent price. It has been restored. Not to brand new condition but just improved upon what was already there. It has really nice Case Colors and pretty good wood. There is one thing I didnt notice about this 89 Marlin that eventually I will correct. Can you find it?

Rube,
Those guns all look like they need to taken out and shot, then put some dings on 'em. :D Only in America can an individual have so many pieces and does not have to answer to anyone! Nice going young man :D

Oh, the "little thing" you need to correct? Yep, I've seen hundreds of 1889's and own a few and have yet to see a case colored one. The '94's have the case coloring but with a blued bolt :D ----------Sixgun

I do like to shoot them but I also do take care of them. I have a few in the safe that the years have not been so kind too.

I'll have to do my research on the Case Colors. I have seen a couple with the case colors before but not 100% sure if they were original.

Nonetheless.....that is not the exact thing I was talking about.

anyone else have a guess?
Last edited by Rube Burrows on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

kimwcook wrote:Mr. Burrows, step right up to the front of the class so you can stand and be recognized. Excellent work, son. And, a beautiful Marlin.

Thank ya Thank ya.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

someone has a problem and doesn't know it!!!! just kidding . beautiful collection. hope you get to shoot them lots.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

rjohns94 wrote:someone has a problem and doesn't know it!!!! just kidding . beautiful collection. hope you get to shoot them lots.

A problem?......Me?......nah.

I shoot some more than others.
Rich N
Levergunner

Post by Rich N »

Nice Marlin! Looks like it will have some good company.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That Marlin looks PERFECT to me! :mrgreen:

(though, if it were mine, I'd swap out the half-buckhorn for a full one. Just looks better to me - my tastes - I know not everyone favors them)...
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Probably work better with a sight elevator,looks good to Me. I looked at a Marlin 1894 today in 32-20,made in 1901.I would almost be ashamed to post pics of it.Some one has put different wood on it and it is about 1/4 inch proud of the metal.It was only $295 but it is good that I didn't buy it as I stopped at a Garage sale on the way Home and bought 5 Guns . I will post them when I can get some pics tomorrow.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ysabel Kid wrote:That Marlin looks PERFECT to me! :mrgreen:

(though, if it were mine, I'd swap out the half-buckhorn for a full one. Just looks better to me - my tastes - I know not everyone favors them)...

I like a full buckhorn also.

When this one was restored it looks like someone used a hammer from possibly a 94 but not an 89.

I didnt notice till after the commitment to purchase but it would not have changed my mind.

And now I know exactly what the 89 hammer looks like for the future.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tell me more about that .32-20 - I have my great grandfather's, and wish it could tell stories...!

Mine has a 'taller' rear sight step-elevator, and is 'browned' but no hint of case-hardening coloration. I couldn't see your front sight, but mine was a nickel-looking blade.

Since mine had some really bad (i.e. drilled and 'extractor' used on them) screws, I replaced the screws, and went ahead and placed a globe front and tang rear on it, because I decided to try to make it (pitted barrel and all) a 'shooter' for light loads on occasion, vs. just a sentimental wall-hanger.

Anyway, I'd be interested in anything else you have to tell about that one. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:oops: ...stuttered-when-posting... :lol:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

:oops: So it does have an elevator, boy is it short.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rube Burrows wrote:When this one was restored it looks like someone used a hammer from possibly a 94 but not an 89.
Yeah; I think mine is more sloped 'back' than pointed 'up' like yours. Pretty sure nobody'd restored mine or altered it.

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

This little nikon cool pics hardly ever will focus right for me.
It is not a focus problem since the entire range of the rifles is out of focus. If the focus was missed there would be some plain of focus in the image. The problem is more likely a slow shutter speed and camera shake when you press the shutter. You can either, choose a faster shutter speed in 'Shutter Mode' or, use a tripod or shooting sticks to rest the camera on while taking the image. Depending on the Model of Nikon Coolpic you have you can also adjust the ISO setting ( to a higher number) which will improve low light performance by then causing the camera to use a faster shutter speed.

Go find the camera manual and reed these portions. It really is simple but it is not the camera's fault. It is just working within the settings you have shosen on the camera.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Rube Burrows wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:someone has a problem and doesn't know it!!!! just kidding . beautiful collection. hope you get to shoot them lots.

A problem?......Me?......nah.

I shoot some more than others.
We all have used & heard that one before :roll: :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice collection you have there :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Rube,
Great collection guy! Really happy for you.

AJMD429,
That 32-20 of yours can have a Redman's liner installed in the barrel to make it really shoot again. I have a first year 92 that belonged to my father in law that I had relined then NKJ did his magic to make it a slick shooter. You have to look really close to see it.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very nice collection and cabinet....

its looks like you have the full blow socially transmitted decease called leveritis
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I dont know a whole lot more about the Marlin. I seen it and thought it was really pretty and started working on coming to a price we were both happy with. The front sight looks like a long skinny brass blade. It does have the step up in the rear sight but it is low. I may put a tang sight on it since the Marlins are come already tapped for the tang sights.

I have never owned a 32-20 before and so right now I dont have a single bullet for it. I guess I will look into reloading for it so I can actually shoot it.

I was really looking for a 1888 Marlin when I stumbled onto this one. I could not find the 88 Marlin in the configuration that I both wanted and could afford and then I seen this one and thought it was beautiful.

Whoever restored the gun did a pretty good job in my opinion. Its very presentable. None of the metal has been over buffed and all of the lettering is still nice and crisp. The hammer on a 89 is supposed to go up and then curve back down. This one does not. I think the hammer came from a 94 but im not too sure. I will be on the look out for a correct hammer but the gun functions well and still looks good to someone who dont really know.

Looks like Turnbull restored a 1889 and used a similar hammer unlike the original.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20939

as far as the Nikon camera.......thanks for the tip. I will look through it again. I have messed with pretty much every setting I could find on the camera trying to get it to work right and sometimes it takes great pics and sometimes they are blurry. I try to hold completely still as best as I can.