OT- Good idea or bad idea?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Good idea or bad idea?

Post by oic0 »

I've never played with powder burning so I'm going to ask and research before I do this. Anyhow, I had a plan of taking thick cardboard letters, putting em on a plaque, and using a little laser I built to burn the wood all around them in strokes to make an aesthetically pleasing pattern, Remove the Letter and you have a burnt in patter with clean spots spelling out letters in the middle of the plaque. That wont work though as I cant find my laser safety glasses to protect my eyes. Valentines day is quickly approaching! Would it be safe to use smokeless powder? set the letter in the middle to protect that area, surround it with powder in a pattern and light it on fire? Also, if I arranged it in rough pattern or shape would it burn in to the wood in that shape or would the char obscure details (its bare pine)? It is my understanding that smokeless powder burns rather than detonates and in my head it seems safe, BUT I still thought I would double check. Was planning on lighting it with an incense stick from a safe distance

When I was a youngin I crushed up a damaged model rocket engine and poured it on a paper plate, long lighter wouldn't work right so me being a genius I just used a short match while standing over it WOOOOOSH, mushroom cloud. Turned me black with soot but otherwise unharmed like one of those ol cartoons. The lesson has stuck with me though, so I'm a bit paranoid this go around.
Last edited by oic0 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good idea or bad idea?

Post by FWiedner »

I remember one time my Dad had some black that he wanted to "get rid of" and he decided to have some fun and lay it out on a paper plate make a short trail "fuse" and touch it off with his Bic.

Took 3 months for his eyebrows to grow back.

You can think on that and wonder what the aveage fella might learn, or you can ignore it.

Just seemed like a good place to insert it into a conversation.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good idea or bad idea?

Post by pwl44m »

Oh YOUR gonna Get it
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Good idea or bad idea?

Post by JB »

I believe your powder will burn off rather quickly. Probably too quickly to leave much of a pattern on the wood.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

JB wrote:I believe your powder will burn off rather quickly. Probably too quickly to leave much of a pattern on the wood.
+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Smokeless powder is nitro based, so it will burn towards the greatest source of oxygen. In other words, away from the wood. I don't think it'd leave a good mark on it with any consistency.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Lay a few lines of powder on a bare board and see how much is charred...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I was worried about that too, don't know if it will generate enough heat over a long enough period of time to char it. I bet it would if I put something heavy on top of it crushing it down in to it :D but.... I'm not going to try that lol. With my glasses I have poor depth perception, I can't dodge things falling from the sky very well.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Try this. Cut your letters out of thin wood, soak em in water, freeze em in the freezer for a couple hours, place em on the pine, and immediately burn around the pattern with a propane torch. By the time the wet, frozen wood reaches kindling temp, you will have a fair char around it.
Certified gun nut
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

adirondakjack wrote:Try this. Cut your letters out of thin wood, soak em in water, freeze em in the freezer for a couple hours, place em on the pine, and immediately burn around the pattern with a propane torch. By the time the wet, frozen wood reaches kindling temp, you will have a fair char around it.
I think this is the best idea, I have burned pine with a torch before to get the grain to stand out, I don't think you would need to soak the letters unless you want to keep them looking good, pine will take a torch pretty fast.
You may have to use a little double stick tape to keep the letters in place wile you burn.
Terry
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if you don't have a propane torch, try a hot air gun, the kind that are made for removing paint. Mine is for shrink wrapping and it gets hot enough to darken wood.

Since you wanted a pattern, sit down with a soldering iron and make your strokes with the letters pasted on. Shouldn't take too long.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here, Bubba, hold my beer, I want to show you something.... :lol:
Stop, and do it properly with a decent wood burning tip on your soldering iron :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It might just work. you could test it for burn results on a small scale first.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I should probably learn to use the wood burning tip for my soldering gun. The laser is similar if I could find my darn glasses. I wanted to use powder though as I can basically form it and shape it just how I want it before a single mark is made on the wood. If only I had some aluminum powder to mix with it, that would leave a mark :D
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

Or you could use wet fingernail polish. Light it with a match, and it burns for a minute and goes out, leaving a shallow charred place. I used that method to initial the handle of my hatchet when I was a Boy Scout.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JB wrote:I believe your powder will burn off rather quickly. Probably too quickly to leave much of a pattern on the wood.
I'd do it outside, for obvious reasons, and on a moist day with a hose nearby.

A fuse wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know where a law-abiding citizen can buy "underwater cannon fuse" like we used to buy all the time as kids... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
I'd do it outside, for obvious reasons, and on a moist day with a hose nearby.

A fuse wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know where a law-abiding citizen can buy "underwater cannon fuse" like we used to buy all the time as kids... :(
Evidently, any number of places..... Gun shops in WA can carry it legally.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... CGEQ1QIoAg
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

"If you've ever used burning gunpowder as a woodworking tool....you might be a redneck."
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You shouldn't need a fuse. Smokeless powder burning in the open is almost a non-event. It's when you confine it that it gets interesting. The same cannot be said for BP-entirely different animal. Try the slowest powder you have.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

vancelw wrote:You shouldn't need a fuse. Smokeless powder burning in the open is almost a non-event. It's when you confine it that it gets interesting. The same cannot be said for BP-entirely different animal. Try the slowest powder you have.
One of the worst burns I ever got was being a Dumb *** with BP :oops: , believe me that stuff can be violent even in the open.
Terry
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Well I did it....

I'm still here and in one piece

In fact it was so weak it makes me ashamed. Barely even changed the tint of the wood. The only major effect was all the powder bits stuck to it, they didn't completely combust. I finished it up with a torch. I think if I had used the entire 1lb container it wouldnt have done it.