OTish-Long guns at W-Mart

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

OTish-Long guns at W-Mart

Post by dennie »

I seldom go to Wal-Mart except to look at the ammo. Not many places to buy ammo in this town. While talking to one of the managers about guns I was told that the store is going to start selling long guns again! Maybe not a big deal to some, but this sounds like a good thing to me. :o This is supposed to happen in the next few weeks. We will see.

BTW, the Bass Pro near Cincy is carrying a lot of reloading supplies again. They quit carrying it for several months, maybe a year, but have it back again. I was told that I was not the only one that complained when it went away. Again, this seems like a good thing to me. :D
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Idahoser

Re: OTish-Long guns at W-Mart

Post by Idahoser »

ours never quit, didn't know they had anywhere. Still the cheapest ammo.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Some Wal Mart stores carry long guns, and some don't. It seems random to me, but I am guessing that it has to do with whether the store manager wants to pay for the FFL and the employees to be certified or whatever it requires. When I was a slave to Wal Mart, I could never get a straight answer about which stores carried them and why.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Our local Wmart used to carry firearms but quit. They've always sold ammo.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There are three Walmarts in our town, they all have always sold long guns. I've not bought one from them since 1991 though.
NRA Life Member
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

We have two Wal-Marts within 45 miles of us. The closest (35 Miles) quit selling guns a few years ago, and has a very poor ammo selection; really just a poorly stocked sporting goods dept with clerks that don't know much more than how to sell hunting/fishing licenses.

The other one (45+/-) miles has always had a decent selection of guns, a couple of helpful guys behind the counter (most days) who remind you that they can order out of their catalog and has a fairly decent ammo selection (when available).

I have only bought two guns ever from Wal-Mart; a Stainless 10/22 Rifle (not carbine) in the '90s and a Daisy 22 singleshot in the late '80s. But I have bought a couple of boatloads of 22LR ammo and at least a half boatload of 22 Mag ammo. Oh and all of my various shotgun shells.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wish they'd start carrying 550-pack Federal .22 LR for $13.88 again... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They used to have a special order book. I had money down on a Trail End 38-55 and then Win stopped production to close. I got my money back. :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've been looking for a .22 Magnum rifle and leaning towards a bolt or semi-auto. Cruising pawn shops, gun shows and on-line the cheapest I can find for a well used one is very close to $200, with most substantially more! The local Wal-Mart has a Marlin bolt with very nice wood for $194 new - and that's less than the dealer catalogs have them for (I have an FFL). I'm going to buy it within the next week or so. Wal-Mart seems to be very competitive with rifle and shotgun pricing and sometimes they are considerably cheaper! (BTW - if you want to sell a .22 Mag, PM me within the next two weeks before I buy this one).
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"I wish they'd start carrying 550-pack Federal .22 LR for $13.88 again... "
--AJMD429

Yes, I remember those prices too. Luckily, I bought the last 14 or 15 boxes of the Federal 500 bulk box when the local Wal Mart sold it for under US $10.00 a box. I lucked out at that price. The Squeeze thought I was crazy buying it until she saw the later price increases....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

our walmarts dont carry guns anymore....they do carry ammo though...
move toward the middle of the state, in rural towns and they do....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Ours has quit but also intend to start back up. I spoke to the Sporting Goods Manager and asked why they stopped. He said that Walmart never intended it as a political correct issue and they they had only stopped selling because they had a survey done on sales based on square footage of the display. Unfortunately guns were not doing well at some stores. Apparently sales for the new display isnt doing as well as the guns were! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

As soon as the idoit was elected...they should have put them back
in the stores....they would have made a fortune....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Ray Newman wrote:"I wish they'd start carrying 550-pack Federal .22 LR for $13.88 again... "
--AJMD429

Yes, I remember those prices too. Luckily, I bought the last 14 or 15 boxes of the Federal 500 bulk box when the local Wal Mart sold it for under US $10.00 a box. I lucked out at that price. The Squeeze thought I was crazy buying it until she saw the later price increases....
About 2 months after the big O was elected - I stopped by a WalMart "in the city" figuring nobody in town would be looking. I found about 15 boxes of 500/550 bulk packs in that $13 range... never felt so lucky.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Ray Newman wrote:"I wish they'd start carrying 550-pack Federal .22 LR for $13.88 again... "
--AJMD429

I still have four or five boxes of the Federals myself, plus a few of the bulk Remington and Winchester 500 packs. What I also used to do, just everytime I went to Wal-Mart, was pick up a box or two of yellow box Remington-UMC .223 FMJ, It used to sell for under $5.00 a box, after I realized that I had about about 30 or so boxes on my shelf I stopped buying them. I still probably have 25 or so boxes left... pretty good investment.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:I wish they'd start carrying 550-pack Federal .22 LR for $13.88 again... :(
I wish they'd sell it for 5$ again. that was then tho...........
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Our town has a population of less than 30,000. We have 2 Wal-Marts. One carries guns, although the inventory is never more than about 10 guns...total. The other doesn't carry guns at all, but does stock a few boxes of ammo.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For all their faults, Walmart is a master at understanding the demographics in their area. If anything will sell and make a profit, they will carry it. Just remember that their floor space is valuable real estate, so it has to really pull in sales for them to give it room in their store. Some, between the costs to sell firearms, and the lack of local demand, plus the need for trained sales people, elect not to. Not an anti-gun thing; just economics.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

We have several walmarts in the area and they are very different places according to which area they are in. The one in Ephrata has a very different selection of items because it is high agricultural area and predominately menonite/amish. The one in wyomissing is much more urban and has a high percentage of hispanic customers. The one on 5th street highway is also different than the other two and is VERY CITY, with a mixed ethnic customer base, and you can get to any of them in a half hour from the other. The last time I was in each no long guns,but hopefuly that will change. I was looking for a cheap hardcase to ship a firearm in and went to 2 walmarts that not only didn't have one but no space on the self for one either, the one in Lebanon Pa had 10 on the self. They are definately a what sells stays kind of place. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

All my local wallymarts sell ammo. But only 3 within a 100 mile radius sell guns. Luckily the closest is about 5 miles from the house. But the gun selling walmarts will let you order from their special order book. Then it takes about 4 days for the gun to arrive. I had to order a Crickett .22 for my grandson.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

86er, I bought a bolt action Marlin 25MN .22mag from Wal-Mart when they were selling long guns. It has been a tack driver. Certainly shoots better than I can! Mine had a decent wood stock, but I sanded it lightly and gave it a camo paint job. The safety was hard to operate sheet metal thingy, but with a little gentle bending became very usable. The trigger was quite stiff when I got it. I replaced the trigger spring with one from an ink pen. This really helped the pull!
I like mine very much since I did the above mods.
It was close to $200 out the door. Probably 2-3 years ago.
Oh yes, it took about 45 minutes to do the paper work because the sales person and the manager could not figure out the paper work properly. I had to tell them how to fill out the "yellow sheet". :shock: After all this the manager had to carry the gun out of the building and then hand it to me when outside. :x
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

550 rd Federal .22s are 18.96 in Missouri Wal-Marts as of this morning..... Over 100% jump over what they used to be just a few years back WTH??? WAY ahead of "inflation"....
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Seems to me that the Wal-Marts that carry long guns are in the smaller towns. The stores in more populated areas don't. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but that seems to be the trend here, anyway.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Where do you find Liberal anti-gun types?
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

The Walmart in Wilmington OH re-installed the gun display a few weeks ago. There weren't any guns in it last time I was there though.