.30-30 Deer Load /"Gun"-itis

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

.30-30 Deer Load /"Gun"-itis

Post by kmittleman »

Hi All,

I just got my reloading gear and am reading through the Lee manual. Not sure which load to pick. My 336 likes the 170gr. Winchester Power Points so I figured I'd start with something like that. Anyone have an accurate deer load they'd like to share?

On another more serious note, I seem to have a full blown case of Gun-itis. And it seems to be getting worse. I started out with an 870 5 years ago and now there's a safe sitting where the lone shotgun used to be, locked in it's case. Now, I'm beginning to reload and ENJOY reading ballistics tables. What's more, the year used to start in January, but now it seems to begin in mid September. What's going on? Is there any hope of a cure? :D

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Hobie

Re: .30-30 Deer Load /"Gun"-itis

Post by Hobie »

We've had various 12-step programs proposed here. None worked to alleviate the condition. It is probably incurable. Ask Dr. O.J. King.

I use 30 gr. IMR 3031 under the cup-n-core 170 gr. bullets. 29 gr. is the now the generally accepted maximum. You will get about 2100 fps from the 20" barrels.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Don't fight it! just realize you are becoming an addict and start the mantra. My name is kmittleman and I am a gun addict... Oh yeah welcome to the club! Wait til you start thinking about how much bullets cost and that you could shoot more if you cast them yourself...that's another story for another day. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Any cases, Win WLR primers, 32.0grs Win 748, any of the 170gr cup and core bullets. Not the solid copper ones.
I believe Speer has the ones with the best BC.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

30-31 grs of 3031 has been and oft reported load here as Hobie says.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

27grs of 3031 with a 170 jacketed or 180gr cast for my most accurate loads.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The load with 3031 that everyone speak of above has been around, well since Christ was a Corporal ! And it is a very good one. I use the 170 Gr. Hornady Pill with 28 grains of 3031, and it shoots! The Hornady manual lists 28 grain as a Max load. My loads show no signs of High Pressure with the 28 grains.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

J Miller wrote:Any cases, Win WLR primers, 32.0grs Win 748, any of the 170gr cup and core bullets. Not the solid copper ones.

Joe
I agree with Joe, except that I use 170 Gr Win Silvertips from a stash of 1000 that I bought before they became unavailable. The same load works well with a Hornaday 170 flatpoint. You mentioned 170 grain Win Powerpoints. I've searched high and low for these as a component bullet and have come up empty. In one of my 30-30's the rifle's preference is for a 170 grain Rem Coreloct with 29 grains of IMR 3031. Where are you finding Powerpoints? Those are a good deer bullet as a commercial load, but I don't buy commercial ammo if I can help it.
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

J Miller wrote:Any cases, Win WLR primers, 32.0grs Win 748, any of the 170gr cup and core bullets. Not the solid copper ones.

Joe
+1 for that load, I love W748 & use it in several different rifles.
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

kmittleman wrote:Hi All, ...I seem to have a full blown case of Gun-itis. And it seems to be getting worse... Is there any hope of a cure? :D
-Kevin
There is no hope. There is no cure.

Even becoming a Democrat would just make you a "hide-in-the-closet" gun owner.

All you can do is bask in your sickness and adjust your budget to service your new 'jones".

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congrats! You're doing just fine, don't worry about any "cure".
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

kmittleman wrote:I seem to have a full blown case of Gun-itis. And it seems to be getting worse...Is there any hope of a cure?
You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

JohndeFresno wrote:
kmittleman wrote:I seem to have a full blown case of Gun-itis. And it seems to be getting worse...Is there any hope of a cure?
You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
That's pretty good. I agree, there's no cure so you may as well admit it and prepare for a future of addiction. :D
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think I've been a member here since around 2005; came looking for a receiver to begin a new project... and have been facillitated to ease my affliction... cut down on buying leverguns since I got here to only about 1 per year... prior years had seen many more... prior years had also seen me selling a few... THAT I've been cured of!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

"Hello, My name is Chris and I have a Levergun problem"