chapparal arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jerseyvinny
Levergunner

chapparal arms

Post by jerseyvinny »

thinking of buying one.

any info on the company?
any links to old posts?

thx.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: chapparal arms

Post by RIHMFIRE »

some of these guns are not that great....and some are just fine....
I hear quality control is lacking.....and some have a wood veneer finish
to simulate exotic wood...
a few guys here have nice one and enjoy them....

but i have heard too many negative comments and would pass them by...
get a Uberti, cimmaron or taylors.....and if ya got the cash...get an original
it will never go down in value
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Just get a Uberti or the likes there of. I have heard way too many negative things about Chapparal.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIHMFIRE wrote:some of these guns are not that great....and some are just fine....
I hear quality control is lacking.....and some have a wood veneer finish
to simulate exotic wood...
a few guys here have nice one and enjoy them....
but i have heard too many negative comments and would pass them by...
get a Uberti, cimmaron or taylors.....and if ya got the cash...get an original
it will never go down in value
Do a search on this forum for "Chapparal 1876", I got 9 returns... that'll lead you to several discussions of what some folks found. Over at CASCity there's a forum dedicated to the Winchester 1876, you'll find LOTS of comments over there.

I agree with Rihmfire, quality is too spotty for me to spend my money one. I could live with the wood issues, but... when reports of faulty chamber/bore sizes, among other failures to do quality control... I ain't taking the chance on a "clearance" item that has no warranty or backup for repairs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I own a Chaparral 1876 SRC and I like it (and I've said this before) BUT, Uberti and Cimarron have a customer service system you will not get with a Chaparral rifle so it seems to me that Uberti is THE choice and the Cimarron upgrades might have value to you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:I own a Chaparral 1876 SRC and I like it (and I've said this before) BUT, Uberti and Cimarron have a customer service system you will not get with a Chaparral rifle so it seems to me that Uberti is THE choice and the Cimarron upgrades might have value to you.
+1

Like Hobie, my Chapparal 1876 seems to work just fine and I like it. I was impatient and purchased it before Uberti came out with one of their own. 20/20 hindsight, if i had to do it all over, I would have waited for the Uberti and gladly paid more for it. No comparison between the two.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW - welcome to the fire!!! :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Mine works perfectly, so far. Like others, I made the perhaps impulsive decision to buy one when they first came out. .45-75 brass from Jamison is the what I use to load ammo. It took a while for them to get it into production, so my gun hung around unfired until it was available. A highly accurate load is 40 grs IMR 4198 and 300 Barnes Original bullet. It gives an average MV of 1775 FPS, with absolutely zero signs of pressure. Cases eject easily and are clean. I tried 45 grs IMR 3031 and had dismal results. The load was terribly inaccurate and the cases were black with soot. The MV was only 1365 FPS and bullets were all over the paper at 50 yds.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln