OT: c-c-c-COLD Temperatures Effect on Powder, Primers & Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: c-c-c-COLD Temperatures Effect on Powder, Primers & Ammo

Post by Old No7 »

Ahoy the campfire from the frigid coast of Maine. (-10 below, yesterday morning...)

I have had great luck using Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders in my hunting rifles. I can test and develop loads in the spring & summer, and use them in the fall & winter with no significant performance differences. This much, I am OK with...

But here's the question about extreme temperatures and reloading components...

What's the possible effects and any risks (???) if I have to leave 1 or 2 cardboard boxes each of 1-pound smokeless powder jugs, primers and loaded ammo in an unheated vehicle for 48 hours???

Here in Maine, night time temps are down close to zero... The movers won't take any boxes of those items on the moving truck, so I've got to move all those myself. But we're moving out on one day, have a day layover in-between, and then moving back in on the 3rd day. I could possibly bring the boxes inside for both nights, but they will need to be in the vehicle during the day, as we won't have a house for awhile.

* Is it worse to bring them from warm to cold, back to warm at night, then back to cold the next day and repeat the cycle the next night?

* Or, should I just let them get c-c-c-cold once, keep them in the vehicle, and then when they warm up slowly inside -- they'd be at the final temperature and resting place where they will stay until they're used up. (This eliminates one of the cold-warm-cold cycles.)

Hope you can understand that back when uh, um, let's say "the winds and powers shifted down in DC", I stocked up when I could. So now there's quite a supply to be dealt with for sure. That's good news, but I don't want to ruin any of the powder, primers or ammo (which would be very bad news).

Your thoughts?!?!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: c-c-c-COLD Temperatures Effect on Powder, Primers & Ammo

Post by kimwcook »

I'd move the items once, let them get cold and then slowly warm them up as you suggested. Less chance of condensation. Personally my concern would be with primers, jugs of powder with a tight sealing lid wouldn't bother me as much as primers loose in their cartons. I like my primers in a 50 cal. ammo box with a good seal. :D
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What is critical is the temperature at which those products are used, not stored in the short term. Get 'em cold, leave 'em cold and insulate when you bring them in so that condensation, should it occur, is minimized. They'll be fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I store my Black Powder in a chest freezer at -10F in evacuated/airtight jugs. As long as I don't open the jugs until they have reached room temp, I've never had a condensation problem.

FWIW, I like storing my BP this way because in a worst-case scenario (house fire) it will take a long time for the BP to become involved...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I agree. Let them get cold and warm them up once. Won't be a problem.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

#7, Cold can play hob with the performance for years Ive been using imr4895 in my 71 while I was in the Big Hole elk hunting this year it got down to -20 I tried a shot at 200 yds to see how it would hit was 2' low, up close it wouldnt be a problem, but I am going to work up a load with RE17 a extreme powder same burn rate as 4350 but more velocity and see if it will group. The alliant folks said to use 4350 starting loads and work up. danny
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

kimwcook wrote:I like my primers in a 50 cal. ammo box with a good seal. :D
I prefer using a walrus.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

I lived in a residential suburb in Michigan. I store my powder & propellants in a shed. In 25 years of reloading, I've never noticed any problems.

Put stuff in a picnic cooler if you bring it in and out of the car daily. I store produce like that occasionally in the winter.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I live at 6,000 feet in utah and it can get to 10 degrees below zero here at times. All my ammo and reloading stuff is in my unheated garage. I never had trouble. On the secound thought, maybe that answers why I am such a bad shot the last 30 years?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah'll answer your question with a question... have you ever had a problem when you took several rounds out hunting, didn't fire any and brought them back inside with you; then used the same ammo the next day? I suspect you haven't noticed a problem. Because, if you've loaded or stored that ammo in a dry environment for any length of time prior to taking it out into the cold, there really isn't enough moisture in that small an air volume to condense.

I've always wondered what effect cold weather has on bore diameter. If your rifle has been inside at 68ºF for weeks, then you take it out into the field hunting at 0ºF, the metal is going to contract...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've always wondered what effect cold weather has on bore diameter. If your rifle has been inside at 68ºF for weeks, then you take it out into the field hunting at 0ºF, the metal is going to contract...
I've been tell'n my wife that for years...she keeps get'n things reversed though, and sends ME out in the field when it is 0F :o :o :o

So my guess is if ya keep 'em the same temperature, warm or cold, there should not be an issue. Just save yourself the wear and tear, move 'em as little as possible.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old No. 7,

I agree, I would make the change once and bring it back up to temperature as slowly as possible. Primers will be the most sensitive but method of storage is most important. I keep mine in a .50cal ammo can with silica and have purposely kept some for 15 years with no problems.

Good luck,
OldWin
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ol'e # 7,
As the other have said it will be fine. Now shooting ammo in cold weather is another story, especially if you worked up your loads in warmer weather. Even with so called "temperature resistent" powders, I have noticed a full 200 fps from 90 down to 20. In cold weather, I always use magnum primers with any powder slower than Unique.

As for these toher guys who hunt in zero degree weather---your nuts :D Why? Its not the hunt thats bad in extreme cold weather, its dealing with the dead animal. You know, fumble knives, rope that won't come undone, blood freezing on your hands and clothing and about 12 million other things that cause aggravation in extremes. Last November dealing with my son's elk in 14 degree weather was the last time I'm doing that.

I think it comes with middle age. Been there and done that and had enough :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In the moving/relocating scenario you mentioned, don't foget the SECURITY issues you may have if you have to leave those materials in a vehicle perhaps unattended overnight. That could be a bigger 'issue' than the temperature change.

Air-tight containers (which the powder hopefully is in already) can eliminate condensation pretty well (maybe also add moisture absorbing packets), and bunches of primers could fit in 2-gallon zip-lock freezer bags.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks all -- I appreciate the feedback.

Old (and c-c-c-cold) No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Sixgun 0 or below is not my preferred weather to hunt in I rather go after bulls the early rifle season the 15 of sept when you can bugle them in but you play the cards dealt waiting for the snow or cold to bring the elk out of the mtns. I think everyone in Canada must of opened their freezer's at the same time :lol: . When its that cold and snow I dont skin them I split them in half with a axe put the hair side down and tow them with the horses, if you are riding a pony that hasnt been roped off or drug stuff with better refresh your snus before you start down steep ground and get a elk under you it sure adds to the excitement of the hunt though :lol: danny
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

this may be counter-intuitive but when the metal contracts, the bore diameter increases. I used to have trouble visualizing this, most people think the bore diameter shrinks. But what happens is the metal shrinks towards its center, away from the center of the bore.

This occurs with clarinets also, and throws them out of tune.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."