OT - Need to Thwart a car thief....!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Need to Thwart a car thief....!

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Need a bit of help.

My sister and BIL don't have much $ and don't live in a good part of town. This summer I gave my BIL my ol' truck to use as a second vehicle for when they needed it. It's a 1990 Chevy 3/4 ton truck with close to 300,000 miles. It is very well used and not worth much, but gets them around and keeps them warm, and it runs.

Tonight, some amateur tried to steal the truck. This is the second time they've tried. First time they messed up the door lock to get in, this time they damaged the housing on the steering column. Sooner or later, they're going to get to the ignition parts and get it running.

Since we're all tight on money, I can't see investing hundreds of $$ for an alarm.

Given the vehicle, do you guys have any ideas..? I was thinking making a dummy coil wire to put on it when the truck sits. It would look real and unless the thief really wanted to spend some time figuring it out, would probably quit.

Or maybe wire a hidden switch to something that will render the vehicle immobile, but I don't know where.

Maybe a hidden switch somewhere that controls the fuel pump..? There's got to be a wire for the fuel pump that comes back to the firewall or fusebox isnt there..?

Any other ideas...? I can fix just about anything mechanical, but electricity is NOT my friend. The easier the better.
John in MS wrote:A good watchdog and a 12 gauge?

John
Let me add they live in an apartment and don't have the vehicle garaged. A dog and a shotgun would be good, but probably out of the question.
Last edited by deerwhacker444 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Need to Thwart a car thief....!

Post by John in MS »

A good watchdog and a 12 gauge?

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

A game camera that takes the nice nighttime pictures with an infrared illuminator? If you can't stop them, you might get a picture of them in the act that they could be identified by. I figure you or someone might have one lying around that you could hide nearby.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Cut off switch to the fuel pump,
they will get away, but not far.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

A kill switch and the (club) the unit that locks in the steering wheel so you cant turn it thats the legal way. danny
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

There's a fuse for the ignition. You can glue a light, stiff handle on it and just pull it each night or you can buy a fuse holder, a switch, some 14ga wire and male ends and remote mount the fuse and include the cutoff switch.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

My dad had the same problem years ago. He bought a Model A Coil from the J.C. Whitney catalog. He had it wired so he could "kick" the remote switch with his foot or hand to place it "ON" when he left the vehicle. Early one morning we heard some yelling and curseing. Some dumb person was sitting in the snow all disoriented. Dad ran out and held a shotgun on the perp til the police showed up.

The best "butt kickin'" I received in Junior High was when a bully leaned up against my dads car......... yup I set the system "on" while my dad spoke with the principle about the "pranks" I was suspected of.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

If you just interrupt the fuel supply the guy might burn up the starter trying to crank it, if he figures out how to get it to turn over. Instead, I'd consider some sort of ignition cutoff switch. You could pull the distributor cap when you leave it sitting. You could also take some heavy log chain and a couple of padlocks to immobilize the steering wheel by locking it tight to the seat mounts. That would be immediately apparent to anyone looking inside that the truck can't be steered.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Get a quick release steering wheel. Take the steering wheel off every night. Pop it back on in the morning.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

what I have don't in the past is to have a twin core wire running back into the cab and a toggle switch hidden in the cab , the wire goes to the power to the coil so the engine can't fire because it has no spark i also had a flashing LED in the dash that looked like an alarm

there are a few more things I can think of but what I have said is the most simple and effective method
.Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have a 90 chevy 4:4. When I go on long trips, I just take the rotor out - it WONT start til you put it back in. Oddly enough, thieves have damaged mine in just the same way - 1st door handles, then chiped away at the steering column. Three guys even tried to jack it with me in it - none of them had ANY luck doing that - I still have it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Either "the club" or the redneck version of it... a chain padlocked around the steering wheel and brake pedal.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

and then get a bumper sticker......."insured by smith and wesson"
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

OK, this probably won't be legal but it probably will work.
A steel plate on the inside of the door,( stops damage to the high class interior of the truck) a primer in the lock and a small can of black powder in between.
If Rimfire McNutjobs trail cam doesn't get a good enough pic you should be able to get a positive ID when they present at the local ER to have the door lock and their screwdriver surgically removed from between their teeth. :lol:
The only drawback I can see is that you will need to spring for a new door lock to replace the one they busted last time.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Any type of photographic surveillance system is a waste of money in bad areas. (concerning common theft) The cops really don't care about your "stuff". Besides, if for some strange reason, a good photograph is taken, well, in my opinion, they all look the same.

If the animals are going to steal the truck, their main purpose for stealing it is most likey to just "cruise around town" and then dump it. They certainly are not going to repaint it, change the serial number, and make $30,000 on the deal. Therefore, the best defense is what others have suggested, and that is a common, low cost deterrent.----------the club, or what Rusty suggested, the redneck version of it :D

It also is not nothin' to pop the hood and switch two spark plug wires. It will run so bad, they will say, "Hey mon, this ain't fun" and will go find another. They are too stupid to figure out which wires need to go where---but you do :wink: -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

An almost invisible method to disable an engine is this: Pull the coil wire and one plug wire off the distributor and switch them. Then engine will fire occasionally, but will not start.

However that wont stop them from smashing into it and ruining the locks and ignition switch.

I'm in agreement with the Club idea. A very visible method of telling the hoodlums, you can't have it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I used to take the battery out and put it in the trunk. Simple, and nothing to buy. Although my problem was they were stealing batteries, not the car.

If they are experienced they can saw through the steering wheel and remove the club in about ten seconds. But a visible setup like a club or chains might keep them from entering the vehicle which is when they do the damage.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Given the model year, I would guess the truck has an HEI distributor with the built-in coil so there's no main coil wire to pull. It probably still had a mechanical fuel pump also ... so the electric pump cutoff wouldn't work either. GM sure doesn't make it easy.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Does a 1990 still have a coil wire (don't own anything later than '82, I can still work on them). If so, pull the coil wire loose at night, or take it out completely. Heck, back during WWII, the Brits were supposed to pull the rotor out of the distributor to stop German paratroops from stealing cars during an invasion. Too bad cars don't have rotors any more.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You need something visible. The kill switches are all great ideas, but they won't deter the criminal from trying, just from accomplishing his theft. The club is easy to see, and will probably stop the little scumbag from trying again. This is probably the cheapest option.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

If you have the ignition system with a separate coil then as suggested, swap the coil wire for a plug wire in the cap. 99.99% of the theiving knuckleheads are too lazy or stupid to figure out the problem. Ive done this and it works. The locked steering may be a really good deterent. hidden kill switch within the cockpit is the most convenient for day to day tripping. Two separate kill switches will be the best insurance. My cousin up in NJ a couple or three dozen years ago thrashed the would be thief, as caught in the act, with a tire iron. He had no further trouble. I doubt you can do that today. Good luck, at any rate!.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

After giving this more thought, I believe the best deterrent would be to leave a couple of hundred dollars on the front seat, blast the $1,000 stereo system and give the first idiot who tries to steal it a warning shot to the head with 00 buckshot. Leave his body near where you park your vehicle for a reminder to others. When it gets hot out, you can use a poster cut out of the perp.

This is tongue-in-cheek humor but sometimes its how I feel.

I despise a thief. Not much better than a child molester. Sure would be nice if the law allowed such "taking the matter in your own hands" thing.

Ahhh, get a $39 club--------or a $19 Louisville Slugger
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Bought brand new Cadillac. Took it to locksmith who specialized in high end auto theft prevention & installed state of the art hidden kill switch & charged me a hand and an arm.

First time I took it to the car wash, I watched knowing I would have to tell the guy where the kill switch was. NOT. Took him about 1.83 seconds to find it and make that car start.

So much for $250 theft prevention.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am thinking maybe a doublespring wolf trap or two under the dash, or a conibear, set just in the right place or two, under the dash, or stearing wheel, maybe the floorboad too.

My grandfather put a trap in a corn crib, back in the depression, to catch a thief who was stealing corn. One morning he went out there and sure enough he was still there, caught in the trap. He told me, that he knew him, and just walked on by, and said good morning, did his chores, then turned him loose, filled up a toe sack full of corn and give it to him and sent him on his way.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

My old truck sits for long periods. I wired a battery switch in to prevent it from running down. With the switch in a concealed location this will work well, as the truck will not turn over, the headlights won't come on, and even jumping it will not help. Get one with a lock, and you are in business. http://www.jcwhitney.com/disconnect-swi ... ilTabPanel
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How about a switch in the seat that blasts the horn when ever someone gets in it.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Once upon a time, stealin a mans horse was a hangin offence. Nowadays a mans truck is his horse, I say catch and hang the bludger.

Yeh I know, not too helpful. :(
but it will mean he won't do it again :lol:
Bob
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Just get YK to teach you the “YK Slipper Tackle” :P :wink:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Kinda suprised they did not steal it the first time the tried. GM vehicles of that era are about the esiest to steal. Visible deterant ie club or such, and kill switch would be the way to go. I would get some 2 wire and a togle switch, splice into start signal wire to starter.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

J.C. Whitney battery switch. Put one on the positive side and manually shut off all power to truck. Won't run down batt. trying to start it. I put some on City Vehicles so original user won't have to search the city to find their truck. One installation, I put the switch on the firewall with the knob inside, just below the heater, reached from passenger sear. Just like disconnecting battery (that's an option). Easy, positive installation...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... RecId=4913
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 15342915-2
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 15343125-2

Last two are easiest to install.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

First off...leave it unlocked so they can't break anything. Have a million Db horn connected to the dome light wire. It will hurt so much, they will scoot PDQ, and/or you will have your gauge handy and catch them at it. Don't shoot, prolly, not worth the legal hassle. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I use battery powered baby monitors in my Jeep and garage. If anyone messes I hear it and can respond quick. I buy the monitors from junk stores for $5. Also some of the home security motion detectors can be rigged as well. If your crooks are like ours they love those sturdy old trucks for easy systems to hotwire so they can do crash and steal robberies on store fronts. I also use the club on the steering wheel.

A hidden power switch under the dash is best, no need to mess with the hood. They can be bought at marine dealers and any good parts stores. I wire the ground cable through the switch. If you are really into a nice switch Volvo heavy equipment dealers have a nifty one that includes a handle/key.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I just have to learn th YK slipper tackle!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

casastahle wrote:Just get YK to teach you the “YK Slipper Tackle” :P :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sixgun wrote: I despise a thief. Not much better than a child molester. Sure would be nice if the law allowed such "taking the matter in your own hands" thing.
Completely agree. I would add computer hackers in the short list as well. If the law did let citizens take such matters into their own hands I can GURANTEE you there would be a heck of a lot less of these crimes.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Sure would be nice if the law allowed such "taking the matter in your own hands" thing.
Check your laws.
The laws here in Western Australia allow us to use " any means necessary to prevent the taking of your vehicle". Unfortunately when you couple that law with the laws that say we can't carry or use any of the weapons that enable us to enact the "any means" part, we are basically stuffed. You guys might be better able to enact the any means part of that law if your car theft law is written in a similar fashion to ours.
Bob
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:Either "the club" or the redneck version of it... a chain padlocked around the steering wheel and brake pedal.
In college, I used 40 feet of logging chain to wrap over the top of my Fairlane, through both door handles, and around a large oak tree, with a padlock around each loops.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Somehow I don't think the fairer sex was impressed, but it worked.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Here's an idea that I got from a car TV show that won't keep them from stealing it but will get them caught when they do.

Buy a cell phone and get the cheapest service plan you can. Some of the track phones and plans should work too. Buy a car charger and hard wire it into the battery or fuse box. Now here's the kicker most phones have an "auto-answer" setting you can put it on. Take the phone, set the phone to auto answer with no rings or on silent, plug it in and hide it under the hood, dash, seat, trunk etc. Now when the vehicle gets stolen the cops can call the number, the phone will answer (unknown to the thief) and they can track it's location. Busted. Heck, leave the keys in the truck so they don't damage anything while stealing it. Think of it as a poor mans bait car. Once they are caught, problem solved.

LK
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Battery cut off switch. Fairly cheap and easy to use. Doesn't care what type ignition you're using as no power, no fire.
Old Law Dawg
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

[quote="Sixgun"]After giving this more thought, I believe the best deterrent would be to leave a couple of hundred dollars on the front seat, blast the $1,000 stereo system and give the first idiot who tries to steal it a warning shot to the head with 00 buckshot. Leave his body near where you park your vehicle for a reminder to others.

Sixgun, your method is much too bloody. I recommend pharmacological education. Obtain a vial of Type "R" human insulin and a 10cc syringe and needle. Restrain thief, pull scalp up, inject a full 10 cc of insulin underneath his scalp, massage injection site lovingly to remove lump, and set the gentleman running. Insulin will do wonders for his brain.
Antonio