.357 Magnum Hunting... Being Laughed At :(

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjroberts
Levergunner

Re: .357 Magnum Hunting... Being Laughed At :(

Post by rjroberts »

Look at the buffalo bore (ammunition) website. They have .357 (158 gr.) rounds which are in .30-30 territory. More deer have fallen to .30-30 than anything else.

Shot placement is key in anything short of an 88 mm Howitzer.

ETA: HA, HA. I answered this before looking at the last post; says the same thing.
Yes, I am a pirate,
200 years too late;
the cannons don't thunder,
there's nothing to plunder
for an over 40 victim of fate.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

you can't kill 2009 bullet proof computer literate big game animals with a 1935 vintage cartridge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . ever since big game started reading the gun rags, they laugh at the puny oldtime aneimic cartridges such as the .357 s&w. just ask the gun writers. a 180 hardcast .357 at 1800fps. will only tickle a bear. the gun writers all suggest we file the front site off our handguns, so that tickled bear doesn't hurt you so bad, especially, after you bounce those 6 .357's off of his head . BUY A 416 IN A RIFLE ANA AT LEAST A .460S&W, if you DARE go out in the woods. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

That BB load would be Hell on wheels for a self defense carbine... :twisted:

Say "Hello!" to my little friend! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

rjroberts wrote:Look at the buffalo bore (ammunition) website. They have .357 (158 gr.) rounds which are in .30-30 territory. More deer have fallen to .30-30 than anything else.

Shot placement is key in anything short of an 88 mm Howitzer.

ETA: HA, HA. I answered this before looking at the last post; says the same thing.

Actually, I think 22LR has taken more deer in north America than any other caliber. 8)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GREAT stuff. Adding this to archives. Thanks, all; especially COSteve.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I see alot of charts that only restate the obvious! A pic is worth a thousand words!

nemhed wrote:Image

Do either of these faces look like a 357mag isn't good enough? Does anyone seriously believe that a 357 mag is less lethal or has less killing power than a broadhead tipped arrow (and yes I know broadheads kill differently than bullets). If I could only have one rifle it would be my 357 Marlin. If I could only have two rifles one would be a 22lr the other would be my 357 Marlin. BTW I also use the 180 gr Hornady XTP.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Worked for several years with a Cowpoke from Northern Montana. He only used his grandpa's 92 in 25-20....killed everything he needed to in both Montana and East Texas. It was his only rifle and it served him well. The .357 Mag makes the 25-20 look pretty weak...know your rifle and choose correct shot placement and it will do just fine...my 1894 Marlin does....

jumbeaux
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The "Junior" load using the C358180RF Castboolits "Group Buy" mould from ACWW alloy over 16gr LilGun is the "Buffalo Bore Equivelent" load I make up.

http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

It chrony's at an honest 1800 from my 20" Rossi and 1200 from my 2.5" SP101. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

another thing is, I'm having trouble finding accurate loads for other calibers, whereas my .357 loads are grouping very nicely.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

jumbeaux wrote:Worked for several years with a Cowpoke from Northern Montana. He only used his grandpa's 92 in 25-20....killed everything he needed to in both Montana and East Texas. It was his only rifle and it served him well. The .357 Mag makes the 25-20 look pretty weak...know your rifle and choose correct shot placement and it will do just fine...my 1894 Marlin does....

jumbeaux

Beware of,.... the one gun man!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Rest assured that a 180 grain 357 Mag has as much or more killing power out to 125 yards as the "high velocity" 44-40 rifle loads that were hailed as THE best deer cartridge prior to the birth of the 30-30.

Most of the people who are laughing at the 357 are either too lazy or too incompetent as hunters to get to within 150 yards of a deer. Of course they need a 7mm Mag! But they would actually prefer a heat seeking missile launched by their Wii from the comfort of their favorite recliner. :roll:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

In State of Ohio we are allowed to hunt with a pistol. The minimum barrel length is 5 inches. The only allowable cartridges are .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt. If the State legislators think it good to take deer out with 5 inch barrel handgun, how does a 16+ inch barreled rifle wind up be "too weak"?

Then Dan Wesson and his hunting party killed a Grizzly at a 135 yards up in Canada. They used a 8 3/4" barrel to do it. Imagine what could have been done had they had a rifle so chamberd. Their velocity didn't even come close to what can come out a rifle with warm to hot loads.

Ignore the moron behind the counter, more times than not I find about 95% of their "information" is full of ........... I can't say because of this is a family board.

Don't worry about them, you got a good combo as long as you can shoot straight.
Never bite off more than you can chew.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

oic0 wrote:For some reason whenever I mention I got a hunting gun and people ask me "what is it?" and I say ".357 magnum carbine" their instant reply is "Thats too weak to hunt, get a real rifle". I'm not scared of recoil or big guns, in fact I am usually the dummy who jumps in over his head. I just thought it would be nice to have one gun I can hunt big or small game with AND be able to afford ammunition to shoot as much as I want (ammo price played a huge role in the decision). Lastly, I don't know... something just made me fall in love with the idea of a tube fed lever action.

I figured I would get some input from you guys.

Here is the info I have gathered so far with google searches.

Max Range: ~125 yards
Ideal Weight: 158-180grain
Ideal Bullet: Cast core.

Is there anything else I should know? did I really make a mistake? (I have moderate experience shooting... tons of plinking, occasional hunting for small game, never had the patience to sit in a tree).

Also, for small game I think I am going to try a 158g SWC .38 special round. Don't want to blow rabbits to bits but if what I read online is correct it should punch a nice hole right through them breaking bones as it goes.
Levergunner,

What a great topic. Been a while since I was on this forum and .357 rifles/carbines are just about my favorite items.

I fell in love with .357 rifles in the 60's when I carried one on patrol as a Trooper in the Flint, Michigan area. Had one converted from a 32-20 Winchester SRC and if fed everything from .357 to .38 wad cutters if you were careful. At that time, most LEO used .38 wheel guns so the spare box of ammo in the patrol car could easily be used in the rifle also, if needed.

I also used it off duty for deer and squirrel hunting.

Years later, I set up a nice Marlin 94 (.357/.38 Spl) with Ashley ghost ring sites, trigger job, and the cross bolt safety plug.

Recently I had 180 grn Buffalo Bore loaded for deer. I saw two big squirrels and carefully took the 180 grn out of the chamber and loaded a .38 Spec. round. I got one of the squirrels with the first shot.

Love this gun and actually hunt without electronic ear muffs. (Need to use ear protection on everything else/.44 Mag etc/ due to severe hearing loss. With the .357 rifle, I don't worry about it so much.)

(As a side note, a couple of years ago, a command officer on a big 10 university police department told me they were actually considering the Marlin .357 rifles for a patrol rifle. It was "politically correct" for the campus atmosphere and the university administration actually supported the concept. Not sure if they actually transitioned to them or not.)

I agree with everything else mentioned on this thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this great topic.
Trooper Joe
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="trooper joe"][quote="oic0"]
I also used it off duty for deer and squirrel hunting.[/quote]

Do you use 148 wadcutter for this? And I'd assume it's head shot only right? For there are hunters that get in to fits over using solid vs. HP .22LR, because of meat destruction.

So I curious on what shots you take on such a small animal and a large diameter bulliet.

Rifleman 336
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rifleman336 wrote:
trooper joe wrote:
oic0 wrote: I also used it off duty for deer and squirrel hunting.
Do you use 148 wadcutter for this? And I'd assume it's head shot only right? For there are hunters that get in to fits over using solid vs. HP .22LR, because of meat destruction.

So I curious on what shots you take on such a small animal and a large diameter bulliet.

Rifleman 336
Besides head shots, you can always "bark" them like they did in the old muzzlestuffer days...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="Old Ironsights

Besides head shots, you can always "bark" them like they did in the old muzzlestuffer days...[/quote]

"Bark" them??? Please forgive my ignorance to the term, I've never heard of it until now.

Rifleman 336
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You aim at the tree branch just below the squirrel but above the centerline of the branch. The impact of the bullet on the branch blows wood fragments into the soft underside of the squirrel, rendering it dead or senseless so you can go and pick it up &/or dispatch it with your knife.

"Pioneer hunters in Kentucky relished demonstrating their marksmanship by “barking a squirrel.” To prove how good a shot they were, early hunters leveled their Kentucky Rifles at squirrels in trees trying to hit the bark of the tree as closely as possible to the squirrel. The concussion of the lead ball on the tree shocked the life out of the squirrel and it fell to the ground, usually without even piercing its skin."
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I guess 'barkin' squirrels is a term that us older guys use to use. When I was a kid, we'd try to bark them with or 22lr by shooting just under them. Stunned, they were easy to smack in the head with a hammer. That way we didn't damage the meat.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think that's how these guys got theirs too...

Sure looks like it was barked anyway.... :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="Old Ironsights"]You aim at the tree branch just below the squirrel but above the centerline of the branch. The impact of the bullet on the branch blows wood fragments into the soft underside of the squirrel, rendering it dead or senseless so you can go and pick it up &/or dispatch it with your knife.

[i]"Pioneer hunters in Kentucky relished demonstrating their marksmanship by “barking a squirrel.” To prove how good a shot they were, early hunters leveled their Kentucky Rifles at squirrels in trees trying to hit the bark of the tree as closely as possible to the squirrel. The concussion of the lead ball on the tree shocked the life out of the squirrel and it fell to the ground, usually without even piercing its skin."[/i][/quote]

Thanks for sharing that Old Iron Sights, I learned something new (as always) today. :) Well now I'll keep that in mind, if thing ever get desperate, that I need to do that.

Rifleman 336
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Good topic! This affirms my latest purchase, a Marlin 1894CSS.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

A bit more to "barking" a squirrel .. lead for bullets wasn't that readily available back then, in thew wilds, or being a "poor backwoodsman"..so by "barkin the game, you know where the lead round ball went, and were able most of the time, to dig it back out with your knife, to be recast and used again!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

[quote="piller"] By the way, does anyone know which handgun was the most powerful up until the .357 Magnum was made? quote]

The Walker Colt had that distinction, but very few were made.

Back to the OP's question/comment...if I had all the 35mm pics I've got and seen of deer taken with the .357 mag, both pistols and carbines, you could easily fill two semi-trailers with them. The longest kill I've personally made on a deer with a .357 was about 70yds with a shot thru the neck. Piled him up like a stack of rags. I've made several shots on feral dogs in excess of 150yds...you just have to know your rifle.

I've got several "heavy" scoped hunting rifles, but my 'B92 in .357 is still my in the woods stalking rifle. I can hardly wait to get good sights on my Beretta/Uberti "Lightning" in .357 to give it a go.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

When I hunt deer in MN, I like to go the the processor in Anoka and look at the harvested animals, literally dozens. I am always amazed at the poor shot placement and the damage done to those poor animals. Huge holes, non-lethal wounds, jaws missing....... Most animals were harvested quickly and humanely, but those few make me think precisely of those guys that are giving you grief.

I love my 357s, hunt them and have taken very large animals with them.

The 357 from a rifle is just behind the 30-30 in power. The 30-30 has been considered the cats meow for hunting North American game for 100 years. I know a man in his 80s who lives in Canada that has been avidly hunting his whole life, all size animals from moose to mice. His sons hunt exclusively with the 30-30, their sons too.

It's because they are hunters and don't take unethical shots. I'm sure you won't either. Good hunting!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gglass wrote:Wow! I'm not sure that I would hang around with people who are (as described above) both rude and ignorant. I live in Indiana and as such, we can only use non-shotgun firearms that are chambered in pistol calibers.
I hear lots of fellow 'Hoosiers' in gun shops about a week prior to deer season, looking over the rifles, and saying the .44 Mags are too expensive (especially if the stores only have Marlins), and the .45 Colts and .357 Magnums are not even looked at! They eventually will either buy another 7mm Remington Magnum bolt-gun, to get a higher-capacity magazine for 'followup shots', or decide to stay 'legal' and settle for a .500 S&W Handi-rifle. Evidently these idiots think they're hunting Elk or Moose, and not Whitetail deer.

My great grandfather had plenty of venison thanks to his .32-20 Marlin, and he was using the wimpy black-powder level loads, too.

Placement & Bullet Construction trump Power every time, unless you're just repelling pirates off your boat at fifteen feet with a shotgun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sometimes the best response is none at all. Just show up at the end of the day with a deer. Sez enough. Nuttin' but facts will change the minds of knotheads. Charts and figures are nice for intelligent folks, but knotheads are a different breed. Truly inbred knotheads will probably still think you snuck some other gun outta camp to shoot that deer with.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

COSteve wrote:gglas's comparison chart above, uses rifle data for the older calibers while it uses pistol data for the newer calibers. This makes his chart pretty meaningless when comparing calibers in a carbine.

Here it is modified with rifle data for the 38spl+P and 357mag from my chrono data in my 20" 357 Rossi carbine. My version shows an apples to apples comparison from a rifle of the old rounds with both the 38spl+P and 357mag. I don't have any rifle data for the 44 spl and 44mag to correct those listing. I can say that it shows pistol data again which grossly understates both the 44 spl and 44mag performance when used in a rifle.

It shows that the .357mag in a carbine has better performance than a 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, or 44-40. As the 44-40 was specifically developed for the Win '92 and performs very well as a deer rifle, you can tell those who laugh that they simply don't know of what they speak.

Nice analysis, Steve! Your charts should demonstrate that those who scoff at some calibers don't know what they're talking about. Must be they read too many magazines when they should be hunting and shooting instead. Like pretty much everyone has said in this thread, shot placement is the key thing. Bottom line is, know your firearm and know your quarry. You don't need a cannon for whitetails--most that get weighed in around my parts don't weigh much more than a large-sized dog, when you stop and think about it--150 pounds or less.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:When I hunt deer in MN, I like to go the the processor in Anoka and look at the harvested animals, literally dozens. I am always amazed at the poor shot placement and the damage done to those poor animals. Huge holes, non-lethal wounds, jaws missing....... Most animals were harvested quickly and humanely, but those few make me think precisely of those guys that are giving you grief.

I love my 357s, hunt them and have taken very large animals with them.

The 357 from a rifle is just behind the 30-30 in power. The 30-30 has been considered the cats meow for hunting North American game for 100 years. I know a man in his 80s who lives in Canada that has been avidly hunting his whole life, all size animals from moose to mice. His sons hunt exclusively with the 30-30, their sons too.

It's because they are hunters and don't take unethical shots. I'm sure you won't either. Good hunting!
Those monster holes come from all of those shotguns being used over on Carlos Avery etc, and the bad placement stems from the MN habit of driving and shooting on the run. :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I should have clarified. Huge shallow holes from too fragile a bullet at too fast a speed to penetrate a ham. I've seen at least a dozen over the years that had a grapefruit sized hole blown out of a ham that did not penetrate into the body cavity. Those animals always had multiple shots in them.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Well, my wife has packed a 357 Marlin for 32 seasons now and I'm pretty sure none of the deer and other game she's taken in that time laughed or even giggled at her :lol: :lol:

She's taken every deer she's shot with that little rifle and see's no reason for anything else. 17.1grs of 296 and a 158gr Remington JSP has been the only load/bullet used.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2X22 wrote:Well, my wife has packed a 357 Marlin for 32 seasons now and I'm pretty sure none of the deer and other game she's taken in that time laughed or even giggled at her :lol: :lol:

She's taken every deer she's shot with that little rifle and see's no reason for anything else. 17.1grs of 296 and a 158gr Remington JSP has been the only load/bullet used.

2x22
My NKJ Rossi 92/.357 is the rifle I like the most, and only have recently made the jump to a 99 in .308 because I moved out to where 200yds is often "short range".

If I were still back east I really wouldn't have much practical use for anything else unless I wanted to long range 'yote hunt.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

These are prolly the same guys that say a 30-30 isn't any good fer huntin'...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Let your rifle do the talkin'..........then ask if they want to stand out in front of it and catch a few. :lol: :lol:

You practice with it, and get good. You should have no problem makin' killing shots further than those gun store rangers do from their counter-tops.

Have fun !!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Shot placement is everything. With good shot placement any reasonable caliber will do the job every time. If you can't well It wlll usuallly fail.

Alan Wood
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think your style of hunting should dictate your equipment. If you're going for a short shot, why not use the .357? You can't get more than one pass through with a supermagalistic cartridge. Especially if you like the lighter, handier rifle.

For example, one time I had to sleep and started deer hunting around noon. I figured the only way I was going to see a deer at that time was to jump one out of its bed. I did exactly that, and had a nice 60 yard shot at a doe (sigh). I had my 30-30, but might as well have had the .357 for that kind of work.

Same would be true if you're in a tree stand and foliage covers everything past 80 yards. Your shot is going to be short, why overdo it?

Less worry about overpenetration and ricochets as well.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Part of me wants to hunt with a stout buckshot load just because most people say I shouldn't. What can I say, I'm a contrary sort of person.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I don't have a lot of time on .357 carbines, but i certainly respect what they can do (even if years ago an uncle with a lot of hunting under his belt said you couldn't hunt with one........).

Think of the .357 carbine nowdays as having some of the same reputation as the 5.56mm.

Lots of gun store commandos will tell you the 5.56 is weak or doesn't stop bad guys.

As a friend who has stopped a considerable share of bad guys with an M4 or M16 told one to shut him up, "the last couple smelly bearded guys i shot with 5.56mm stopped just fine. How many wars have you been in again?"

Said gunstore commando shut up.

Let the ignorant continue in their ignorance. While i'll generally prefer a "real" rifle round, the .357 Magnum is nothing to laugh at and within it's range is very lethal.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I pretty much blew the entire backbone out of a doe this year wiith a .348WCF 200 grain at about 80 yards. This causes me to rethink the "use enough gun baloney". I'd have been better served with a .357 S&W magnum. Less meat destruction. :(
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

just describe it a little differently. Tell em it's a custom designed cartridge based on a .45/70, scaled down to .35 caliber.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Still comes down to power at the target distance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Show the those who doubt a dead deer or a dead hog with a .357 hole in it.

Nothing changes minds like results.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Quite frankly I think that the 357 magmun isn't enough crowd simply fails to understand that a solid hit in the kill zone with a cartridge that will penetrate is the only ethical way to kill game! They seem to think that they can substitute foot pounds for accuracy! I'm pretty sure that most of us know better.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

GGlass: tell me about the scope set up you have on your Puma. What base are you using and how is it attached to the barrel?
Zack
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

About four years ago I got a 350 pound hog with my Rossi Trapper, a 185 grain Beartooth WFN, and Lil Gun. The bullet went through its forehead, down the neck, back through some heart, lung, stomach, and intestines to within about a foot of the other end. That's over three feet of penetration!
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

While I don't hunt, I am glad to read all the success stories here. I was worried about how good the round is when a Florida game guide stated that the .357 didn't have enough oomph to create an exit wound in central florida deer.

When I read that I thought maybe "Kieth Loads" were needed, but now I'm wanting to know what distance he had the hunters shoot at.
TuPapito
Levergunner

Post by TuPapito »

My son and I recently completed a little science project. We shot several cartridges at some 2 liter bottles to see how deeply they would penetrate. Yada, yada, we've all done this before.

Final result was this:

.357 Magnum 180 grain Hornady XTP - 20" of water and the bullet was perfectly expanded to just above the cannelure.

.44 Magnum 250 grain Winchester Platinum Tip - 20" of water and the jacket and core separated and the lead innards were as flat as flat could be.

My conclusion to that was I would not hesitate to use a 180 grain XTP from a 357 Mag on any critter any day. And that was from a 2" barrel. Imagine the penetration and power from a carbine! I have full confidence in the 357 for hunting and/or personal protection.
Last edited by TuPapito on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

At one time, the original 44-40 revolver load took deer cleanly when fired from a ranch hand's carbine. That was a primitively cast 200 grain lead bullet probably traveling less than 1200 fps at impact. Then along came the "hot" 44-40 loads.....then the 30-30.....then the 30-06.....then the magnum rifle calibers. In the eyes of fools, each new cartridge makes the previous one obsolete. If you can cleanly harvest a deer with a little less noise and a little less recoil, why not do it?
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
LeonardB
Levergunner

Post by LeonardB »

I am investigating the ballistics of the .357mag lever rifle for hunting.
I have a red dot sight for hunting, since I figured I'm looking at 100m distances and need a quick sight with no need for magnification.
My first kill was a blue wildebeest at 150m using 158gr SJSP PMP cartridge.
The bullet penetrated the rib and entered the lung and the blue wildebeest dropped 50 m further.
I wasn't planning on that distance, but estimated bullet drop and was rewarded with a clean kill with no meat damage normally accompanied with high velocity bullets.
I'm planning on experimenting further on wild pigs at 100m ranges to investigate the terminal ballistics on head, neck and organ shot placements.
I would have liked to try out a greater variety of bullet types, like the lighter 125gr Remington JSP and Buffalo Bore high-velocity 180-grain JHP, but we don't have a great variety of choice here in South Africa.
I too believe the .357mag is underestimated and will soon become one of my favourites.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Buck Elliott wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 pm Doug Wesson killed the biggest and the baddest in the Western hemisphere with a .357 Magnum revolver, so don't give it another thought.
That's exactly right, and he did it with the factory load at the time which was a lead SWC bullet with a gas check as I recall.

You put a 180 gr XTP over a teaspoon of good magnum pistol powder and you have a killing load out of a .357 lever gun.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !