OT: So my FFL looks at me and asks...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

OT: So my FFL looks at me and asks...

Post by FWiedner »

"Are you planning to sell guns, or are you starting a militia?"

I mentioned in OI's thread about not being able to resist a deal that I got carried away on Gunbroker and ended up with a few stripped AR lowers. It started out with me having a bright idea about putting together an AR-10 for hog hunting.

I work a night shift from 6pm til 6am. I stay on the same schedule on my days off so's I don't become mentally irregular (or no more so than 'usual' :? )from lack of REM sleep or something.

This is what happens when I get bored and find my credit cards late at night, and when there's no chance my wife will interrupt with some silly woman thought like "What are you doing?" :oops:

I've got a few of them built up and will be shopping for UPPERS in the spring.

Oh yeah, the LR-308 lower in on the left...

:oops: :o :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: So my FFL looks at me and asks...

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Investing ! In personal future and the future of our families.
Maybe we could arm a squad... not a bad concept.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Usually when you're sleep deprived is when the credit cards start getting used in the middle of the night. It looks like you have a good start , more late night purchases to come.

My wife worked overnights for a few years and then always switched her schedule. She was looked like a zombie during the days.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:"Are you planning to sell guns, or are you starting a militia?"
I'm hoping the FFL was either
  • a) joking, :D or
    b) worried you would actually 'compete' with him, :roll:
but if it was
  • c) a serious comment the way an anti-gunner would make it (believe it or not, I've MET several anti-gun FFL's), :evil:
then I'd never do business with them again.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

He was using humor to fish for intent and pass on his "warning" story.

He told me about a "fella he knew" that was building AR-15's to sell, and how the BATFE had traced one back after it was used in a drug crime down in Mexico.

I said "Wow. I just wanted a semi-auto for hunting hogs and found a great deal on a pile of lowers."

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know a guy who bought 8 lowers at one time. He's setting each one up differently. Everyone has to have a hobby. Nobody would much bat an eye if he'd bought 8 Contender frames. I once knew a fella who had 143 Contender frames. He collected variations... Anyway, the AR is stigmatized and that's a fact. Not reasonable, just a fact.

Oh, and congratulations.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool,

I've been thinking I want to do one in .450 Bushmaster. Looks like a fun cartridge.

Like someone else said. ARs are the Mr. Potatohead of firearms. Can't have just one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:ARs are the Mr. Potatohead of firearms. Can't have just one.

jb 8)
Mr Potato Head? More like...:
SOPMOD.JPG
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have fired both the AR-15 and M-16 and really have ZERO, none, not even a little bit of interest in owning one or any.

That said, I see nothing wrong with anyone who wants to own them.
Had my FFL questioned me like that my trust in him would have dropped to a level of extreme CYA caution. It could be that some ATF agent looked at his books and saw all those that he's received for you and brought up the subject.
I think I'd go to another dealer for transfers.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

J Miller wrote:I have fired both the AR-15 and M-16 and really have ZERO, none, not even a little bit of interest in owning one or any.

I also have fired both and feel exactly the opposite. I have a 16" Bushmaster A2 and a 24" flattop bull upper on a DPMS lower, both 223/5.56. My two ARs will have to do because I cannot afford an M16!

I am thinking about a third AR with a bull upper in 204 Ruger.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hey guys, what's considered a really smoking deal on stripped and complete lowers? I'd like to keep my eye out for one (or two...) as well.

Have fun with yours Weidner!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Your Pic represents about $150 worth of Bullet Buttons in Kalifonia. Someone is getting RICH off 3c worth of metal. I have spent around $250 in Bullet Buttons.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

damienph wrote:
J Miller wrote:I have fired both the AR-15 and M-16 and really have ZERO, none, not even a little bit of interest in owning one or any.

I also have fired both and feel exactly the opposite. I have a 16" Bushmaster A2 and a 24" flattop bull upper on a DPMS lower, both 223/5.56. My two ARs will have to do because I cannot afford an M16!

I didn't know M16s were available to the public as they r still service weapons as well as the M14s. Could someone shed some light on this ?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Perry:

M16s are legal for private sale and ownership in some states. It has only been leagal in KS for the last year or so. They are class III firearms.

Google "M16 for sale" or look at the "firearmdeals.com website.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

olyinaz wrote:Hey guys, what's considered a really smoking deal on stripped and complete lowers? I'd like to keep my eye out for one (or two...) as well.

Best,
Oly

Around 100 bucks seems to be the bottom line on stripped lowers ready to build up, and i've seen them for around $220 complete with a fixed buttstock

-- you can find them even cheaper occasionally, but i myself have tried to stick with some of the "name" lowers. Del-Ton is a really nice lower for low coin, as is Rock River, among many others ---

- to the OP, last time i was up at 3 in the morning with credit card in hand, a nice Randall fighting knife showed up at the post office 5 days later :lol: -- sometimes the results of those late night "spoils of war" can be quite nice
----- Doug
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

FWiedner wrote:This is what happens when I get bored and find my credit cards late at night, and when there's no chance my wife will interrupt with some silly woman thought like "What are you doing?" :oops:
I'm waiting for the next part of this story after your wife finds your credit card bill! :shock:

She: "What are you doing on the Internet? :x "
He: " Oh, I'm so embarassed! You caught me. I was looking at dirty pictures. :oops: "
She: "Oh, OK. Just as long as you're not buying more gun stuff. :| "

Mark :mrgreen:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

pwl44m wrote:
damienph wrote:

I didn't know M16s were available to the public as they r still service weapons as well as the M14s. Could someone shed some light on this ?

As said, M16's are FA and can be owned with the proper stamp in most states - not Cali though.

The AR15 on the other hand can be had even in Cali - but you have to use the "bullet button" in place of the mag release button - just a mag release set up so that you have to use a "tool" to remove the magazine. It's a loophole around the silly Cali law.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

For those of You Who never heard of a Bullet Button or have no idea what they consist of I took a pic to show what U get for $25. some People actually charge more to unsuspecting Persons. $ 25 is the cheapest I can find them any where.
In response to owning Military weapons. I have talked to sooo many People that declare They were given Their M14 Or M16 or Howitzer, whatever the case may be upon leaving the Military. Those I take with a Grain of Salt.
Thx to Those for the enlightenment on the M16. I didn't think Joe Blow (sorry Joes) could just run out and buy One.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

2ndovc,
My son has an AR .458 Socom that seems to work well and will use it on hogs at the Leverguns hog hunt in late January. I will try to post some pics. He can use the same mags as for his .223 ammo. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

olyinaz wrote:Hey guys, what's considered a really smoking deal on stripped and complete lowers? I'd like to keep my eye out for one (or two...) as well.

Best,
Oly
I purchased a stripped JD Machine lower, bullet button, Rock River Arms lower parts kit, and the Rock River Arms A2 buttstock kit for about $350. Put it together in about 45mins.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I can't believe I've never heard of this"bullet button". Is this something recent? Is this something you carry with you to do a mag change or can you not do a mag change? Is California still part of this country? I'm confused.

Kevin
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Mac in Mo wrote:I can't believe I've never heard of this"bullet button". Is this something recent? Is this something you carry with you to do a mag change or can you not do a mag change? Is California still part of this country? I'm confused.

Kevin
It actually becomes part of the gun. these parts R installed in place of the original Mag release. It is reversable but if U get caught in Ca without it U R N a heap O trouble Son.U then use the tip of a bullet or any other small object to release the Mag. Somehow this makes all the Evil Features Invisible "ie - pistol grip,flash hider and anything else that People R scared of. I think it has been around for a couple years. However if U happen to have a Bushmaster lower or Armalite and a host of other lowers that R on "THE !!! list , the bullet button does not make them legal. What few Regs U Guys have in other States " feel Blessed "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:I know a guy who bought 8 lowers at one time. He's setting each one up differently. ...
I guess I've never understood that...

I can see the need for TWO lowers (5.56 & .308) and a whole BUNCH of uppers... but why a whole bunch of lowers?

IMO the whole point of the AR platform is modularity (and only two 4473s...)... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Hobie wrote:I know a guy who bought 8 lowers at one time. He's setting each one up differently. ...

I can see the need for TWO lowers (5.56 & .308) and a whole BUNCH of uppers... but why a whole bunch of lowers?

IMO the whole point of the AR platform is modularity (and only two 4473s...)... :?
U can buy 10 lowers on ONE 4473 and all the Uppers U want with No paper work other than a receipt.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Don't ask me to explain the unexplainable. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

pwl44m wrote:
Mac in Mo wrote:I can't believe I've never heard of this"bullet button". Is this something recent? Is this something you carry with you to do a mag change or can you not do a mag change? Is California still part of this country? I'm confused.

Kevin
It actually becomes part of the gun. these parts R installed in place of the original Mag release. It is reversable but if U get caught in Ca without it U R N a heap O trouble Son.U then use the tip of a bullet or any other small object to release the Mag. Somehow this makes all the Evil Features Invisible "ie - pistol grip,flash hider and anything else that People R scared of. I think it has been around for a couple years. However if U happen to have a Bushmaster lower or Armalite and a host of other lowers that R on "THE !!! list , the bullet button does not make them legal. What few Regs U Guys have in other States " feel Blessed "

Thanks for explaining what it is and what it does. I didn't understand the previous comments. :?
Yes, I feel blessed, that I can take my Texas CHL, go into a gun store, and buy what I want without the telephone check, whatever thye call it. Still have to fill out the paperwork, though. Oh, yeah, need the money too! :roll:
Mark :mrgreen:
Any way you sell it,
BO stinks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even though I prefer the Garand/M-1A/Mini-14 style, I like AR's because one AR 'lower' could be set up with 'uppers' like:

1. traditional 20" barrel, only instead of a Colt "Target Sporter" with the hourglass-shaped whippy barrel, which I think is just a military contract over-run (the hourglass shape reduces weight and allows M-203 grenade launcher use :roll: ), get what Bushmaster calls a 'heavy machine-gun barrel' - no taper, and more accurate, although (alas) you can't use an M-203 on it. I swapped barrels shortly after I got my "Colt Target Sporter" and it improved accuracy alot.

2. fancy-schmancy- flat-top heavy-barrel 24" upper with free-floating, match-chamber, 10-40x scope, and adjustable gas-block so you can use as straight-pull bolt gun, or adjust gas for minimum needed to cycle action.
(wish-list, but good old Remington 788 bolt-gun fills the niche)

3. shorty-cool 16" with lasers and gadgets and stuff.

4. .50 Beowulf, giving you what amounts to a semiauto .45-70 in a carbine.

5. Zel .338 Lapua upper, giving you more or less .338-378 Weatherby ballistics in a bolt-action upper using your lower and trigger group. I'll post a range report soon, but bottom line was it gave me a way to use a "Roggio" lower I got at a bargain price that was NOT accurately enough made to be an interchangeable lower with all the parts, but does just fine as a 'dedicated' lower for a bolt-gun.

6. Zel .50 BMG upper, giving you 10,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, in case you feel under-gunned with a Lapua.
(not interested - too much cost to reload)

7. .204 Ruger upper, giving you a flatter trajectory, if the .223 isn't flat enough.
(not interested - .223 is flat enough for me)

8. 6.8 Grendel, if you want a lighter mid-bore package, or want something 'big' but suppressable.
(not interested - just one more 'oddball' round to reload for)

THAT is why people like them.

Us 'lazy' folks get to where we don't want to have to push pins and change uppers on our lower, so we get an extra lower (or two), or we get lowers for our kids, in case they are not gettable in twenty years.

AR's are therefore desireable, if not 'cool'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

OI- think about it this way. You r at the Alamo, Your on the Plank behind the wall. The Germans R coming full bore. You have 10 Uppers lined up and U only have 1 lower. Just thank God You r in Texas and don't have to use a Bullet Button. lol lol lol
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like fun projects for the future!!! :D
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

stew71 wrote:

Best,
Oly
I purchased a stripped JD Machine lower, bullet button, Rock River Arms lower parts kit, and the Rock River Arms A2 buttstock kit for about $350. Put it together in about 45mins.
Would you mind telling me were you bought the lower? Being in the Sacramento (California) area has it's problems.
Alan Wood
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Alan, I don't know about Sac town proper but Norse Armory in Woodland is where I bought My last Lowers. $100 ea incl tx plus dros. They r at -10 north east st suite # 211.
U can pick up a lower parts kit for around $70, I just ordered one from Midway for $52.99 along with some other stuff. The deals r out there , U just have to look. DPMS has a sale right now on Uppers. Carbine kit unassembled for $399
Shop around
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

pwl44m wrote:Alan, I don't know about Sac town proper but Norse Armory in Woodland is where I bought My last Lowers. $100 ea incl tx plus dros. They r at -10 north east st suite # 211.
U can pick up a lower parts kit for around $70, I just ordered one from Midway for $52.99 along with some other stuff. The deals r out there , U just have to look. DPMS has a sale right now on Uppers. Carbine kit unassembled for $399
Shop around
Thank you.

As I said living in Sacramento California has it's problems. Of course you know that if you know woodland that well!
Alan Wood
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

pwl44m wrote:OI- think about it this way. You r at the Alamo, Your on the Plank behind the wall. The Germans R coming full bore. You have 10 Uppers lined up and U only have 1 lower. Just thank God You r in Texas and don't have to use a Bullet Button. lol lol lol
Nor do we have to be fingerprinted, give blood, or do whatever else you have to do in California to buy ammunition, either. Can you buy powder, primers, and brass to handload there?
Any way you sell it,
BO stinks.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

markinalpine wrote:
pwl44m wrote:OI- think about it this way. You r at the Alamo, Your on the Plank behind the wall. The Germans R coming full bore. You have 10 Uppers lined up and U only have 1 lower. Just thank God You r in Texas and don't have to use a Bullet Button. lol lol lol
Nor do we have to be fingerprinted, give blood, or do whatever else you have to do in California to buy ammunition, either. Can you buy powder, primers, and brass to handload there?

We r not there yet,but as I understand it all takes place on Feb 1. Yes we can buy powder and all reloading essentials today. Don't know what tomorrow will bring.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

pwl44m wrote:...
We r not there yet,but as I understand it all takes place on Feb 1. Yes we can buy powder and all reloading essentials today. Don't know what tomorrow will bring.

SSSHHHH!!!! :!:
Better keep this quiet. Don't let your politicians and anti-gun crowd know. I just wonder if those ignoranuses (and I meant to spell it that way :twisted: ) know about reloading.
Mark
Any way you sell it,
BO stinks.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

So I've got the LR-308 built up, and now I'm trying to decide what color her eyes will be.

I've got a set of Pro-Mag folders, an EoTech, an SWFA 10x42, and a Yukon Gen2+. I'm still waiting for a quick-detach base and some rings for the SWFA.

My plan is to set this up for hog hunting. I guess I've got to decide at what range and what time of day I intend to hunt.

But hey... having the flexibility to change sights around could be a good thing...

I'd just have to tune each sight individually and then make a plan to cart and stage the extra junk... right? :?

:mrgreen: