OT: Springfield Armory Inc.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Springfield Armory Inc.

Post by OldWin »

I know this is OT here but with all you hear of bad service these day's good should be heard too. I have a couple M1A's, an early 90's standard and a 2001 vintage scout rifle. I shoot them quite a bit and the scout sees a lot of field use. when I was done with it this fall I cleaned and greased it as usual. Afterward I always check for hammer-follow and noticed that if I let off the trigger slowly it would drop the hammer. I placed a call to Springfield and explained the problem. In 10 minutes they e-mailed a shipping label for my trigger group and assured me they would take care of it. I had my trigger group back in my rifle in 2 weeks with zero cost. I fully expected to have a 10lb trigger pull but happily it was just as good as before. I have been very happy with their service and their obvious concern that I was satisfied.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Springfield Armory Inc.

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:!: Wonderful! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While I haven't had to use any warranty or repair services from Springfield, I have had one really good experience with their "tech" support. Shortly after I got my Scout, it began to have some FTF's. It was kind of strange, because it didn't start until several hundred rounds had been fired. I called Springfield and ask how to deal with the situations. The suggestion was simple, shoot it some more. Sure enough, after a couple more range sessions, all the problems disappeared. Darned thing just needed a bit of breaking in.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

SA is a class act.
Some years ago I bought their entry-level 4" 1911, "GI Champion". It shot LOW with GI ball, and was basically hopeless to make group. I sent if off to them on their dime, and got it back with a new MATCH GRADE barrel (free upgrade), new front sight, and the slide and frame mated more closely. It shot beautifully, and has never skipped a beat.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[DumbQuestionMode ON]

What's "Hammer Follow"...is it where the disconnector is failing, or what...?

[/DQM OFF ..wait, it's stuck ON... :? ]
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ajmd429

Yes, sort of. I remove the mag, dry fire and hold back trigger. Then briskly cycle the op-rod. If the hammer follows the bolt this could result in a slam-fire out of battery. The hammer didn't follow but when slowly releasing it the hammer dropped. Hammer hooks were worn....Not a dumb question sir.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote:The hammer didn't follow but when slowly releasing it the hammer dropped. Hammer hooks were worn....Not a dumb question sir.
If you released the trigger quickly, then I suppose the sear might engage, but the slower release didn't get the sear in place fast enough to catch the hammer slipping off the disconnect...?

I'll have to try that on mine.

One of the FIRST things I do with a new gun is disassemble it and check for wear and tear, and see just how it works; then I see if I can make it malfunction by pulling trigger with safety-on, then releasing safety, pulling trigger with bolt not fully locked up, etc. If I can make a gun malfunction, it either needs a gunsmith, or a blowtorch, or if "that's just the way those were made", I may sell it to someone who better appreciates the 'collectibility' vs. function.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

AJMD429

That is EXACTLY what was happening. It might have been ok but not in my world. Hammer hooks were too short/worn. I do the same things you describe. It pays off, especially with a semi-auto. I had a new G.I. TRW hammer but didn't want to use my spare if I didn't have to. Springfield's service has ensured that I will remain a customer in the future.