Ouchie... bullets make holes in meat... Wk 11 Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ouchie... A painful Reminder - bullets make holes in meat...

Post by Tycer »

Hey dumbxxx,

Arnica Montana.

Get the pinkish purple tube of homeopathic pills, the blue will work, but the other is better. Also get something like Arniflora or Arnicare ointment. The arnica is great for tissue damage. Stay away from volatile oils (peppermint, spearmint....) while taking homeopathics.

Sorry your brain froze. Hope you heal well fast.

Perhaps you could get the number 4 (for the Colonel's four rules) tattooed on your scar as a talking point. :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That's going to hurt later. Be sure and nurse it right.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dave wrote:That's going to hurt later. Be sure and nurse it right.
Define "later"... So far, it hasn't hurt much at all. Though I suppose it would if I ran a Hoppe's soaked pipe cleaner through it... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Ouchie... A painful Reminder

Post by Malamute »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Mokwaw wrote:Wow man glad it wasn't any worse. Dang muzzle loaders...should be a law against them. :o
It was a Glock 19 with a .22 upper firing flaky/prone to FTF ammunition.

When I went to clear a FTF (tap-rack) I grabbed too far forward on the slide (fast is slow... :oops: ) and the FTF turned out to be a hangfire.

I'm glad you're OK, and it wasn't any worse.

I'm curious, and not trying to be a smart aleck, but why grab the front of the slide to operate it? I've seen people do it but don't understand what the supposed advantage or reason is compared to grabbing it from the back end where the handy serrations are. I know also that some guns are serrated on the front end, but this seems to illustrate a pretty good reason not to work the slide from the front end.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Malamute wrote:... I'm curious, and not trying to be a smart aleck, but why grab the front of the slide to operate it? I've seen people do it but don't understand what the supposed advantage or reason is compared to grabbing it from the back end where the handy serrations are. I know also that some guns are serrated on the front end, but this seems to illustrate a pretty good reason not to work the slide from the front end.
"Gross Motor Control".

Grabbing the serrations with thumb & forefinger requires fine motor control that often goes away in a gunfight. (Sympathetic Nervous System Discharge). If you use the meat of your hand to grab the serrations you can cover the ejection port - which is a bad thing when trying to clear a jam.

Current "doctrine" (the one they test me on anyway) teaches to "C-Clamp" the slide in front of the ejection port to rack the slide to clear a jam/FTF.

Works better on a full-size slide than a compact one... :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

OK, thanks for explaining that.

Not sure I entirely agree with the theory, but if that's what they train you to do and test you on, then you should probably continue to do it the way they specify.

No disrespect intended, but I don't think I'll adopt the practice. The other possible effects seem to bring a certain negative aspect into consideration. I'd prefer to keep my hands farther back from the muzzle of a loaded firearm, partcularly if under stress.

Hope you heal up alright.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Malamute wrote:... No disrespect intended, but I don't think I'll adopt the practice. The other possible effects seem to bring a certain negative aspect into consideration. I'd prefer to keep my hands farther back from the muzzle of a loaded firearm, partcularly if under stress...
None taken. I'm not a fan of it myself. Plus, I'm not particularly prone to SNS Discharge events, so I don't really have Fine/gross motor issues. But I do get "rated" on following training. When it all goes South, I'll do what comes naturally, but I was practicing for the recert test...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch indeed. Good reminder.

Now - go get your hand checked out. The last thing you need is a major infection...
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BigSky56 wrote:OI, if you can extend and close your pinky own its own without any additional pain you'll healup ok if it starts get infected go to the feed tore and get a small jar of potassium permanganate to soak your hand in it will draw the infection out and a bottle of procaine g penicillin its abut 10$ for 100 cc/ml use at a rate of 1cc or 1ml to 100 lbs body weight for 7 days, that dosage will clear up syphilis too :lol: . danny
That or Terramycin. Used fair amount for antibiotic and off the wall applications
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Define "later"... So far, it hasn't hurt much at all. Though I suppose it would if I ran a Hoppe's soaked pipe cleaner through it... :twisted:
Might be cheap insurance against infection... :twisted: But it hurts just thinkin' about it! :shock:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

claybob86 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Might be cheap insurance against infection... :twisted: But it hurts just thinkin' about it! :shock:
IF you ran Hoppe's 9 thru it I'd pay for the entire Leverguns Members to watch it. And bought them shots and steak dinners afterwards. :!: :!: :!: :!:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Wish you would get transferred to Riverton so I can get you out to the range for some training on the finer points. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I just hope that didn't put a big dent in your social life..... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Thankful here that you were not looking down at your hand at the time, head over the muzzle.

Best wishes for a swift and infection-free recovery, and respect for publicly owning up to the accident as an example for the rest of us.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jeepnik wrote:I would suggest you take thee to a doctor. Darned good possiblility of infection there.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

BlaineG wrote:I just hope that didn't put a big dent in your social life..... :twisted:

No it was a hole not a dent; look at the picture. :lol:

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sure glad it wasn't worse. I'm thinking it is going to hurt a lot more tomorrow. :(
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Like others have said before me,
lucky it wasn't your head.

I'm willing to bet you will learn from the experience and not do that again in a hurry :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Get well soon dude.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

KirkD wrote:Sure glad it wasn't worse. I'm thinking it is going to hurt a lot more tomorrow. :(
I did it on Saturday. Didn't really hurt then. Still doesn't really hurt. Very minor swelling, no oozing, no infection. Just "tightness".

Functionally what little "pain" there is is immaterial. Not many nerves there I guess.

But I got a Teatnus booster today anyway.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nobearsyet wrote:Ouch, don't feel so bad. I put a 380 XTP next to my johnson when my pocket gun's sear broke and dropped the hammer.
:o :shock: :shock: :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:
nobearsyet wrote:Ouch, don't feel so bad. I put a 380 XTP next to my johnson when my pocket gun's sear broke and dropped the hammer.
:o :shock: :shock: :shock:
What he said! :shock:
NRA Life Member
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi O.I. First off, I'm sure glad you appear to be OK so far. Just keep an eye on that wound as Doc AJ said. Yes, the police will question you but probably only one time and then leave you alone (that was my friend's experience at any rate). Thank you for posting this to remind us to be safe! I just pulled my full size 1911 out of the safe to practice my typical "C Clamp" drill and there is enough meat on the slide to grab it behind the ejection port. It does sound like your troubles may be related to the compact size of the pistola.

Heal well, my friend and God Bless.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

O.I., while we all sometimes need reminding as to the safety rules, you are the first to give Explanation, Demonstration, and Practical Application using the instructors own body parts. Now if all the rest of us will be wise enough to learn from your incident...
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My biggest concern at this point is to keep it covered with antibacterial goo and a nitrile glove since I work in MRSA land...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad to hear its healing up alright with no infection. I must also commend you for posting this incident. It is a reminder that accidents can happen to even experienced shooters in a moment of unguardedness.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Ironsights wrote:My biggest concern at this point is to keep it covered with antibacterial goo and a nitrile glove since I work in MRSA land...
OI, what is "MRSA" ?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

MRSA is a Methicillin Resitant Staphylcoccus Aureus bacteria. IIRC, think "flesh eating" bacteria.

After using the Hoppes #9 on the pipe cleaner, he can then use some Berrymans B-12 chemtool carb cleaner to finish. Probably take all of us to peel him off the ceiling, when that hits. :twisted:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yah. Between MRSA, VRE, Hep ABC, and a few others, one doesnt like to keep open wounds open around inmates....

I think the bruising will be well enough defined by tonight for another pic.. :twisted:

jnyork: I'm shooting for Riverton in 2015. Need to get stabilized/vested first.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thunder50 wrote:MRSA is a Methicillin Resitant Staphylcoccus Aureus bacteria. IIRC, think "flesh eating" bacteria.

After using the Hoppes #9 on the pipe cleaner, he can then use some Berrymans B-12 chemtool carb cleaner to finish. Probably take all of us to peel him off the ceiling, when that hits. :twisted:
T50, you are soooooo right about the B-12 in the open wound. Been there, done that. Oh my gosh the pain never seemed to quit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I was thinking a bore snake with a little neosporin, fix it right up! :D
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

BlaineG wrote:I just hope that didn't put a big dent in your social life..... :twisted:
nah, he's right handed. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jazman wrote:I was thinking a bore snake with a little neosporin, fix it right up! :D
Good idea! The whole thing could be done with one pass! Hoppes No. 9, followed by the B-12, then neosporin with a little sand mixed in to remove damaged tissue, finally just neosporin and it's done! :twisted:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

nobearsyet wrote:Ouch, don't feel so bad. I put a 380 XTP next to my johnson when my pocket gun's sear broke and dropped the hammer. Last time I pocket carry. In hindsight I probably should have been wearing a holster in that pocket.
Egads!!!! :shock:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

claybob86 wrote:
jazman wrote:I was thinking a bore snake with a little neosporin, fix it right up! :D
Good idea! The whole thing could be done with one pass! Hoppes No. 9, followed by the B-12, then neosporin with a little sand mixed in to remove damaged tissue, finally just neosporin and it's done! :twisted:
I might run a 5/16" drill/reamer through it first to debride and smooth it up a bit. Easier pull for the bore snake, don't ya know.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Week 3 Picture update.

Interesting how the entrance wound is healing quicker than the exit wound - especially given how hard it is to keep covered. The Exit on the back of the hand has been pretty well constantly covered with a bandage & neosporin, while the palm entrance will really only take "NewSkin" goop.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ouchie... bullets make holes in meat... Wk 3 Update

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like you're healing fine and you'll be none the worse for wear. It's got some good CDI factor (chicks dig it as well as chicks dig scars). :D
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very glad to see that it's healing well. And you'll have an awesome scar to show off at the club house, so you've got that going for you. :mrgreen:

By the way, in one of this month's gun rags Massad Ayoob (sp?) wrote a safety reminder about covering muzzles using an incident similar to yours. Racking the slide from the front - only difference was that the fellow who was unfortunate had his pinky hanging over the muzzle...and it was a .45...and his pinky is now much shorter. :shock:

Mass makes another point that I agree with - if you spend years messing with guns as we do, there's those who have and those who will suffer an accidental discharge. Steadfast adherence to good safety techniques will ensure that when it happens the only thing damaged will be your pride.

Be safe y'all!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks nice and clean OI :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:Looks like you're healing fine and you'll be none the worse for wear. It's got some good CDI factor (chicks dig it as well as chicks dig scars). :D
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I can't say much about GSW's but with other cuts and punctures I've found that the covered wound kept coated with Neosporin or other anti biotic usually heals slower than the ones that are open to the air. Not sure why, but that's what I've had happen to me.

Joe
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Looks a lot better.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Looks like your hand is healing up pretty good with no infection, bit concerned about the swelling though. Color looks good, so shouldn't be any problems.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

1894cfan wrote:Looks like your hand is healing up pretty good with no infection, bit concerned about the swelling though. Color looks good, so shouldn't be any problems.
Not so sure it's "swelling" any more. Just displaced meat and clotting in the bullety track. It's extremely localized with no fluid weeping.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A scar is a tattoo with a story to go with it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:A scar is a tattoo with a story to go with it.
Heh. A coworker blew his leg apart (literally) in a motocross accident. Worst tib-fib I've ever seen. Plus, a screwup bu the medicos onscene & at the first hospital before transport led to compartment syndrom.

He now has a HUGE scar running through a large tattoo that was on that leg... So the has both. :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It 's lookin' good OI.

Very happy for you that the 'boo-boo' is healing well to this point.

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

glad your healing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Ouchie... bullets make holes in meat... Wk 11 Update

Post by Old Ironsights »

Because some of y'all have asked... and I finally got out the camera...

It's been 82 days since I put that 22 solid through my hand.

Here's the result:

No loss of function, no pain, though you can still palpate the bullet track.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Ouchie... bullets make holes in meat... Wk 11 Update

Post by AmBraCol »

I missed it the first two times... YIKES! Glad things are working out OK. 82 days and no pain - that's better than my elbow I used to suspend my weight with when I missed a step going down stairs in September. No broken bones, no obvious bruising - but it's STILL painful when touched wrong or if I carry too much weight at arm's length. So no pain after less than three months is purty darn good.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com