A few old style photos we took over Thanksgiving.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

A few old style photos we took over Thanksgiving.

Post by Rube Burrows »

Well, we have a photo of my great grandfather and his brothers all holding their rifles that was made on the early 30s. No lever action rifles in the original which surprised me since my grandfather had an old 94 that he loved dearly. We took care of that problem in the new pics.

This is that original photo. Feel free to help me identify any of the guns in the pic.

In this pic from left is My great grandfather Thomas Nathan Wheeler, sons Myrt, Hezzie, Chester, and son-in-law Bailey Woods (center).

The gun in the center that Bailey Woods is holding is a Model 12 Winchester...if I remember right.

In our pic that we tried to simulate somewhat the same Model 12 Winchester from the original picture is being held by Farrel Wheeler (in church clothes)

In this pic we have the Sons and Grandsons.....and even Great Grandsons of the men in the original pic.....here it is

In this pic from the left is Dale, Farrell, David, Joe, Justin and Jimmy Wheeler

Here are a couple of pics of my father Dale and my brother Justin and me, Joe Wheeler

Here is me and my trusty 92

and one more of the group...

Well thanks for looking and allowing me to share them.

These pictures were all taken on the same 250 acres in North Alabama that has been in our family for ages. The old home has long fell down and been removed however the spot where the original house was and where the original pic was most likely taken is now a where we took the new pics. Now its a green field with some old barns and storage buildings on it.
Last edited by Rube Burrows on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Just a few pics we took over Thanksgiving

Post by hfcable »

dang! those are all great pictures! thanks for posting!!! i love it!
cable
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Just a few pics we took over Thanksgiving

Post by Rube Burrows »

hfcable wrote:dang! those are all great pictures! thanks for posting!!! i love it!
Thanks, we enjoyed doing it. Who dont like taking pics with their guns? :mrgreen:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A few old style photos we took over Thanksgiving.

Post by C. Cash »

Those look great....especially like the one with your Great Grandfather in it. That looks like a Fulton Arms Single he is holding? Looks well worn, even in that early photo!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Super photos! Them're great!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

C. Cash wrote:Those look great....especially like the one with your Great Grandfather in it. That looks like a Fulton Arms Single he is holding? Looks well worn, even in that early photo!

Im really not sure what he is holding. It does look like it was well used though.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff wrote:Super photos! Them're great!

Thankye
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great shots there Rube, thanks for the history and the labels. Always nice to know the folks here. Where is the still? What caliber is your 92? Is that the same Model 12?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Old Savage wrote:Great shots there Rube, thanks for the history and the labels. Always nice to know the folks here. Where is the still? What caliber is your 92?
There is actually some old parts of the still that is still in the woods there. Next time I go back to my dads I will try to shoot some pics for everyone.

The 92s are .45 and 44-40.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine is a 45 - love it! Tutt gave me some loads that have a 360 Keith coming out at 1350. There is an actor that looks like your dad but I don't recall his name. Spent one summer in Louisiana - Fort Polk and Lake Charles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Old Savage wrote:Mine is a 45 - love it! Tutt gave me some loads that have a 360 Keith coming out at 1350. There is an actor that looks like your dad but I don't recall his name. Spent one summer in Louisiana - Fort Polk and Lake Charles.

I would love to get that load data if you dont mind.

Forgot to say.....yes that Model 12 is the same one. Another relative has another of the old rifles or shotgun but he was sick and could not make the pic.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

He used 18.5 of H110 but the bullet was a special order that he can't get now. Of course all the usual warnings apply. There is an article by Paco on this site on the home page I think on loading for the 92s and I think he had some similar loads.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Old Savage wrote:He used 18.5 of H110 but the bullet was a special order that he can't get now. Of course all the usual warnings apply. There is an article by Paco on this site on the home page I think on loading for the 92s and I think he had some similar loads.

I'll have to check out Paco's article.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post, thanks for sharing.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I don't believe that pump gun is a Remington Model 12. The Model 12 was a .22. It could be a Winchester Model 12, or it looks more like a Winchester Model 97.

Great pics all.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

:D Enjoyed that, thanks :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Looks to me as though you've confused the makers, that's a Winchester Model 12, the singles look like Iver Johnsons but, they might be marked differently for the hardware store market. The double, I don't know...

That's an interesting photo concept. I think you see too few of these. Neat.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's cool. Thank you for taking the time to share. You'll appreciate you did that later on.

I've got to say, the coveralls you're wearing look like you should of drug'em through the dirt first and then washed'em cause they look brand new. Y'all don't wear'em like your relatives did, probably everday.
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Hobie wrote:Looks to me as though you've confused the makers, that's a Winchester Model 12, the singles look like Iver Johnsons but, they might be marked differently for the hardware store market. The double, I don't know...

That's an interesting photo concept. I think you see too few of these. Neat.
You are prob. right. When he brought out the pump he said that it said Model 1912 on it and that he thinks they just call it a Model 12. Thought he said Remington but he may have said Winchester. I just looked on Gunbroker and now I am sure he said Winchester. Thanks for catching that.

Chas....the model 97 has an exposed hammer.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

kimwcook wrote:That's cool. Thank you for taking the time to share. You'll appreciate you did that later on.

I've got to say, the coveralls you're wearing look like you should of drug'em through the dirt first and then washed'em cause they look brand new. Y'all don't wear'em like your relatives did, probably everday.

You are right there. I dont wear them everyday. Those have had a few washings on them....but still very blue. :mrgreen:

Im sure theirs had a way harder life than mine. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They had to be new sometime.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Old Savage wrote:They had to be new sometime.
Very true. Dont know if they were ever as blue as the new Liberty ones are today. I am sure theirs had some hard used before that pic was made and prob. well after.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like some old pics of my grandfather's farm when they were working it.

tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Great pictures, I cherish the few old family pictures I have.

I find it funny the son in law in the center stands out bad, just a whole one of these things is not like the others.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

tattoo13 wrote:Great pictures, I cherish the few old family pictures I have.

I find it funny the son in law in the center stands out bad, just a whole one of these things is not like the others.

Yeah, He must have just come from church or something. Who knows. In a book I have of Heritage of the county they live in the there is a copy of the pic in there....there is also a copy of the a pic with some of the wives of the men, taken in the same place.....I dont have the original of that one though. In that picture though, Bailey Woods' wife looks dressed up also.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I am guessing that you didn't have any trouble with tresspassers at Thanksgiving.

Neat photos.

Don
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nazgul wrote:I am guessing that you didn't have any trouble with tresspassers at Thanksgiving.

Neat photos.

Don

Nope....not with the gun toting wooly bunch we had there.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

In the original picture, the one that is second from the end is holding a Remington 24 .22. Don't see the name Hezzie very often. My dads name was Hessie, (the Dr. spelled it wrong on his birth certificate). My dad always used a Remington 241 speedmaster.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Those are great photos and a great idea as well.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

TX50Cal wrote:In the original picture, the one that is second from the end is holding a Remington 24 .22. Don't see the name Hezzie very often. My dads name was Hessie, (the Dr. spelled it wrong on his birth certificate). My dad always used a Remington 241 speedmaster.
Dave in TX

Thanks. If im not mistaken the .22 is still in the family also. One of the guys in the new picture said his dad has it. He was going to come be in the new pic but he is older and was not feeling too well.