rimless cartridges in an 1886?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

rimless cartridges in an 1886?

Post by KWK »

Does the 1886 action require a rimmed cartridge?

I've never cycled rounds through one, and with the one I cycled empty, I didn't think to look at how the innards worked. I recall reading a hook draws rounds onto the carrier. I don't know if it would slip into the groove on a rimless case. I imagine it would, but some one here likely knows for sure. Thanks.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: rimless cartridges in an 1886?

Post by Malamute »

I don't know if it requires a rimmed shell or not, I've not heard of anyone building one in a rimless round. The issue that would come to mind for me would be that the bolt face would have to be worked on for a small head size. It may not be worth it for most to do that level of work to use a rimless shell when so many good rimmed shells are available for the action.

Just curious, what would you want to convert one to, or why would you want to make one in a rimless chambering?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The 1886 is usually made in big bruiser rounds. The baby was the .33 WCF.

I was thinking more of a .30 or less. Chiappa is advertising a .444, which in Europe (its place of manufacture) is rated at the same pressure as the .257 Roberts; and that's what had me wondering what might be done with the action. Actually, one could make a rimmed .257 from 7x57R brass. For either, the bolt face from a .444 model wouldn't require much work, I'll guess.

Sound weird enough?

Yes, I could get a BLR, but it just doesn't interest me.

Perhaps more practical would be a 336 in a .25 Tomcat or the like, and that's what I've been leaning towards of late. Judging by what McPherson has written, a 336 in .250 Sav might work. The 336 is okay, but I prefer the lines of the 1886.

Just exploring the possibilities...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

A 25-35 Ackley Improved in a 94 can be a real performer. Don't have P. O.s book in front of me right now but you might want to look at it's ballistics.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS