My 86 Winchester 45-90

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

My 86 Winchester 45-90

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here is a picture of my 1886 Winchester in 45-90. The group was shot over the chronograph while working up a hunting load. 300 grain JHP over 30 grains of 5744. I tried shooting ffg at first but was only good for the first couple of shots then started wandering up and left. By the fifth shot, it could be 8 inches off. Going to 5744 with cast bullets was better but when I changed to jacketed bullets, EUREKA! The group measures 2.12 between centers.

When I bought the rifle, the bore looked hopeless but the price was so good that I planned to have it relined. A lot of cleaning and JB bore cleaner seems to have saved it.

M. M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My 86 Winchester 45-90

Post by pwl44m »

That is good to hear on the Bore as I will have to clean up My 92s, they dont look so good.
What makes Bullets wander with BP ? Does the bore get dirty or something ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yeah, the soot builds up quickly. Black powder cartridge rifle shooters blow at least 3 breaths through the bore with a blow tube so the moisture will soften the fouling. In my rifle, the rifling is not very deep. I guess it was made for jacketed bullets. It's still not very shiny either. Lead bullets like shiny bores.

M. M.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

What kind of velocity and pressure are you getting with that 5744 load? Does your 1886 have a nickel steel barrel, or is the pressure kept low enough that there's no worry regardless?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats good shootin' and a easy load on the gun. :D If you went to a gas checked lead bullet, sized .459 you would most likely get the same accuracy and be able to shoot it all day for a couple of dollars. Plus, the lead bullet will be a bit easier on the old gal's bore.

I find 34 grains of 5744 and a 325 gas checked lead bullet duplicates the original 1500 fps load but with a bullet that is 25 grs. heavier.---------Sixgun

The rifling on the 1886's is thin, nothing that compares to the '73 which in my rifles is thick.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun is right about cast gas check bullets. They will likely shoot just as well as the jacketed bullets and be cheaper. I once had an original '86 in 45-90 and found that gas checked bullets shot a lot more accurate than the plain base in that particular rifle, although with some load experimentation, I could probably have gotten the plain base bullets to shoot well as well.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Between KirkD and MikeD the 86's are really start to look good. They always come up to shoulder so nice when i handle one in the candystore. Only Hard part is deciding between an original or repro. Looks like you never had that problem.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

southfork,
You asked about the load and pressure. The 30 grain load duplicates ffg velocity pretty close. Here are the chronograph readings for the group shown.
average is 1370 with an extreme variation of 13 fps
My old girl does not have the nickel steel barrel. I cleaned the bore today, after deer season is over. Only fired one shot for one deer and the barrel is looking much better now. Starting to look shiny! I think the 34 grain load sixgun mentioned is within the 28,000 SAAMI specs. I did crank the powder measure up to 34 for my hunting load. Will drag her out again for the Christmas doe hunt.

M. M.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS