Primer sizes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Primer sizes

Post by perry owens »

Sized and primed a batch of Starline 38-40s and loaded them with 4 different powder types and 2 different bullet alloys ready for a serious range session with my 1873 today. Happened to put a loaded round down on a flat surface and it rocked about. Doh!!! - I had used large rifle primers instead of large pistol. Luckily I found the mistake before I set out for the range 40 miles away.
While dismantling the faulty rounds I got to thinking. I know that rifle primers are harder than pistol primers to minimise firing pin penetration but why are they different cup heights? Also why does a round that was designed as a rifle round use large pistol primers?
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Hobie

Re: Primer sizes

Post by Hobie »

That round has become, primarily, a revolver round and so the brass manufacturers have made the primer pockets for the pistol primers. I had the opposite problem with some ammo I got from JimT and so I'm shooting it in a S&W 1905 4th change.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson