OT Calling all shotgun gurus......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Calling all shotgun gurus......

Post by Nath »

Question gentlemen, our 2 1/2"shells over here are marked as 65mm but we also have shells marked as 67mm. Is it safe to still use them in a 2 1/2" gun? Is 2mm suddenly going to threaten the integrity of the gun?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath,
It sounds like the difference between a 2 1/2" shell and a 2 3/4" shell. That said, when I was a youngin and didn't know any better I shot a 3" magnum shell in a 2 3/4" shotgun. No harm was done that time but after I was told the difference I didn't do it any more. I would think a lot of it would depend on the strength of the gun in question and the power of the load.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

A response from ANOTHER Rusty!

Post by Billy Boy »

Nath!
I would think it would MORE depend on what type of shotgun your using!
A 2.75" in a O/U or SxS might not be a problem as opposed to in a semi or a pump where the shell needs to be cycled through the action!
I would suggest trying to see if it fits the chamber and if the breach will close(gently- and outdoors-pointed away from anything!). If so, it shouldn't be a problem.
PS- no more knife pics! No fair teasing us Yanks! Remember WWII?
Besides, us Irish yanks still might bear a grudge over that potato thing!
Just kidding! Have a great w/e bud!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I had a guy I worked with that shot 3" out of his 2¾" gun semi-regurlaly. I don't think it is a good idea. I don't know everything there is to know about shotguns, but i have never heard of an advantage to doing so. Matter of fact I can think of a number of reasons not to.

Short answer: Don't.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I guarantee you it is safe to use 67mm in 2 1/2 inch chambers. The only thing to watch is the guns proof. If it is proofed for 1 ounce, only use 1 ounce regardless of the length.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Logic was saying the same to me 86er, thanks.
Billy Boy now I know your weakness :lol:
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... dknife.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... rknife.jpg[/img][/img]
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i beleive the 67 mm is the old 2 5/8" shell; and like 86er says it is okay in the 2 1/2" chamber. and i beleive most guns with 2 5/8 chambers do all right the with 2 3/4" shell which is the 70 mm , as long as loads are modest and equivalent.
cable
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Now I have a question.

Are shotgun shells measured at their loaded or fired length?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Fired length.

That's where the problem comes in if there is one. The shell folds down and what doesn't fit in the chamber takes up space in the bore which also causes the bore to be smaller right at the start. It might just be theory but... do ya feel lucky?
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes Mr Miller, thats how you can load a 3" in a 23/4" chamber. I guess a strong gun can tollerate such a mistake due mainly to the ejecta being flexable as it passes the forcing cone with some case mouth in it. The modern trend of lengthening forcing cones probably help some what should someone drop a 3" in.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK, thanks for the information.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nath, my old Lefever 20 double shoots 2 3/4. Since 86er is a shotgun maker I would take his word on it.
Don't mind BillyBoy just keep the knife pictues coming.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Is a ltiitle solidarity too much to ask for?!

Post by Billy Boy »

What is this a conspiracy to kill me with self-inflicted jealousy?
Jerry! Us Yanks are supposed to stick together! You are hereby banished from the club; and subsequently forbidden from using the secret handshake or passcodes as they will no longer be accepted or recognized by other brothers/members! Harumph!
Nath! Very sharp looking steel! Didn't you post some Bailey pics a while back? I collect alot of Cold Steel, Buck and Gerber. Almost makes me wanna start saving for something really knice! Being a Certified Executive Chef by trade I've got so many pieces of working cutlery it's hard to find storage space for them all!
Billy

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It was good to tease you Billy Boy :D Rob Bayley has not been going long but he has allready established himself a regular client base that encompasses the world with his most sales going to the States. Very individual desighns based on practical and strength but not heavy (unless you want weight).
I have known Rob from school and we shoot alot together. We was shooting roosting pidgeon last night on a cold wind on top of an old castle ruin! His desighns of knife have been tested on many deer amongst other.
I have one of his prototypes and it is a peach, the steel holds it's edge like something I have never experianced before but strangely easy to sharpen :?
Best wishes Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

67 mm can be shot in 65mm/ 2½ inch chambers but beware of putting 70/ 2 3/4 mm there.

By the way, old hotguns deliver the best patterns with fibre wad loads. Plastic wads pattern too tightly to be useful.

Old Sh.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Shatterhand, you have kinder exposed me :oops: I have to make a desision as to whether to trade in a .410 and a muzzle loader and I have desided to try and get from a dealer a side by side I remember he had in a year ago of english make with 21/2" chambers. I have stacks of fiber wads and cards and think a second gun to go with my Greener would be better. Will try thursday night(late opening at the shop ). My wife will be present as she wants to be there and contribute a wedding anniversary present :D Wish me luck.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Old Shatterhand wrote:67 mm can be shot in 65mm/ 2½ inch chambers but beware of putting 70/ 2 3/4 mm there.

By the way, old hotguns deliver the best patterns with fibre wad loads. Plastic wads pattern too tightly to be useful.

Old Sh.

I don't know about the shooting the 67MM in the 65MM, it's I guess it's all right, according to the other posters, but would not shoot the 2 3/4 inch loads in the 2 1/2 Inch chambers, because pressures will spike up quite a bit, due to the mouth of shell opening up into the bore, then the wad has to compress to get out of the chamber. Same problem with shooting 3 inch mags in a 2 3/4 inch chamber, it's not a good idea.

That's true about the wads, but you can shoot the plastic wads in the older guns, patterns will be tighter and the gun might even kick harder. The real problem starts when you shoot premium loads, and trap loads in the older guns, because those loads are often designed for the newer guns with backbored barrels, and have larger diameter wads, so on the older guns, shoot the lighter, cheaper hunting loads and you will usually be OK. Some people get the forcing cones lengthened in the older guns, to compensate for the newer shells, but that is not always a good idea on some of the older guns.

There is also another issue on older side by sides, and even some of the newer ones. Some of the cheaper ammo, Winchester and some of the Estates ammo will give problems on the older guns, regarding ejection, and ever causing the guns to lockup and be difficult to open after firing. I have had this problem with my old L.C. Smith, my J.P. Sauer, and I have even had ejection problems with my Winchester 23's. Part of the problem is some of the cheap ammo has steel case heads instead of brass and will not shrink slightly after firing, like brass will, so they stick in the chamber a lot worse. And then on some of the same shells we were having trouble with the primers, because the firing pins were sticking in the primers and making the guns lock up, and difficult to open. It's definately an ammo problem, because on other brands and sellections, all is fine. Lately, I have found that the cheap Federal Walmart offering seems to work fine, and my guns open and eject those without problems. My brother in law was also having the same issues with an old orignal Parker he shoots and hunts with.