OT: Protect Your Water Meter & BackFlow Assemblies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

OT: Protect Your Water Meter & BackFlow Assemblies

Post by Blaine »

For people who have below grade vaults for your water meter or backflow assemblies, you can make them (almost) freeze proof by:

Dig out the extra dirt at least a foot below the meter/assembly

Fill to the bottom of meter/assembly with CEDAR (not pine) chips.

The Cedar keeps out the bugs, and therefore the moles that fill up your vault with dirt.

The heat generated by decomposing cedar chips will keep your vault toasty, assuming you have a tight lid on the vault.

Happy Freezing Weather, Y'all :wink: (BTW, I'm a water professional, and this is good info, not something I read on the 'net)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Protect Your Water Meter & BackFlow Assemblies

Post by AJMD429 »

That got me thinking (...always somewhat dangerous, in itself...).

We have one yard-hydrant that we just replaced due to a slow leak filling the riser with water and it kept freezing. Unfortunately, the buried line going to it had to rise over an electric (in plastic conduit) line, and to go under it would require a backhoe and pickaxe, due to the brick-scraps-in-clay terrain, so the water line is maybe 20" deep in waterlogged clay soil. I'm afraid it may still freeze, even if the valve is now operating properly, and I put four, five-gallon buckets of coarse gravel below the bleed pipe, covered in woven-plastic feedbags to keep soil out, to facilitate keeping the riser empty.

I thought about putting a 55-gallon plastic drum around it, and filling it with something, but didn't know if it would help. I suppose any 'heat' would have to come from the ground, so maybe if I cut the bottom out of the drum and mounded up soil in a cone around the pipe, then filled the rest with styrofoam or something insulating, that could keep the pipe a bit warmer than the air temperature, or is there a better way...? I honestly don't know our "frost depth" here just south of Indianapolis, but I measured pond ice almost 14" thick one year.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:That got me thinking (...always somewhat dangerous, in itself...).

We have one yard-hydrant that we just replaced due to a slow leak filling the riser with water and it kept freezing. Unfortunately, the buried line going to it had to rise over an electric (in plastic conduit) line, and to go under it would require a backhoe and pickaxe, due to the brick-scraps-in-clay terrain, so the water line is maybe 20" deep in waterlogged clay soil. I'm afraid it may still freeze, even if the valve is now operating properly, and I put four, five-gallon buckets of coarse gravel below the bleed pipe, covered in woven-plastic feedbags to keep soil out, to facilitate keeping the riser empty.

I thought about putting a 55-gallon plastic drum around it, and filling it with something, but didn't know if it would help. I suppose any 'heat' would have to come from the ground, so maybe if I cut the bottom out of the drum and mounded up soil in a cone around the pipe, then filled the rest with styrofoam or something insulating, that could keep the pipe a bit warmer than the air temperature, or is there a better way...? I honestly don't know our "frost depth" here just south of Indianapolis, but I measured pond ice almost 14" thick one year.
I put a large terra cotta planter with a hole cut in the bottom filled with dirt on my two yard hydrants. Wood chips with dirt on top to seal it will generate heat from the decaying chips.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe we'll just move one of the compost (just weeds, etc; 'kitchen' stuff goes to chickens) piles, come to think of it... 8)

Thanks.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Huh.....I learn something new everytime I log on here!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Maybe we'll just move one of the compost (just weeds, etc; 'kitchen' stuff goes to chickens) piles, come to think of it... 8)

Thanks.
Yup, if it decomposes, it gets warm :wink:

Hey: 8) They opened Bach's crypt and he was there with an eraser and a big pile of music, erasing the notes. Decomposing :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:For people who have below grade vaults for your water meter or backflow assemblies, you can make them (almost) freeze proof by:

Dig out the extra dirt at least a foot below the meter/assembly

Fill to the bottom of meter/assembly with CEDAR (not pine) chips.

The Cedar keeps out the bugs, and therefore the moles that fill up your vault with dirt.

The heat generated by decomposing cedar chips will keep your vault toasty, assuming you have a tight lid on the vault.

Happy Freezing Weather, Y'all :wink: (BTW, I'm a water professional, and this is good info, not something I read on the 'net)
Sheesh, all you have to worry about is freezing and moles? Down here they were just hooking a chain from a car to the meters or backflow preventers and driving off. Cops finally started coming down on the recycle outfits, and it's slowed down, but still happens.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad