What Trigger Pull Weight Do You Prefer For Your Levergun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

What Trigger Pull Weight Do You Prefer For Your Levergun?

Post by Dan 444 »

Hi all,

Well, the wife was away with our daughter and MIL for the afternoon and I figured that I would just kick-back, with a little help from Jim Beam, and do something different. I dug out a RCBS trigger pull scale that I had bought a number of years ago (new) and decided to measure the trigger pulls on my Marlins. I didn't hang weight off the scale to calibrate it.

Of the 23 Marlins, the ten that I had retrofitted with the WWG triggers consistently "broke" at 2.5 lbs. The remaining ones that I had "stoned" (the sears) broke at 3.2-3.7 lbs.

These are hunting rifles, but I do a lot of paper-punching with them as I like to do a lot of shooting during the non-hunting season.

In your opinion do the trigger pull weights sound OK to you? Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan
Hobie

Re: What Trigger Pull Weight Do You Prefer For Your Levergun?

Post by Hobie »

I have NEVER checked the trigger pull weights on my lever guns... I don't care. I have noticed the 1876 SRC repro has a bit of a heavy pull but it doesn't bother me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have cleaned up the triggers on all my Marlins. I can get them pretty slick, but don't have an actual trigger pull gauge. I'd guess they are around 3 pounds.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Winchester levers, even the Jap-Chesters, the triggers suck. The Marlins are ok, and the one I have the Happy Trigger on is perfect....about 3 very crisp lbs....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I have never checked the break in lbs just that its smooth and clean I'd be guessing its 3to5 lbs and as I usually hunt at less than 100 yds for deer elk and moose it isnt a problem my B71 can hold a 3 shot group for 3/4" @100. my 30 wcf 's are minute of canines/lions. danny
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm with you Dan! I prefer about 2 1/5 lbs to maybe 3 lbs. I can handle more but I prefer a light trigger and set all of my guns up to what feels about the same pressure with them that I can. I do my best to train myself to be used to a light trigger pull and so far this seems to work for me. Actually, I tend to ask people now what is the trigger pull before I shoot their guns and that has served me pretty well too. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Preference is 2.5 Lbs to 3 ± Lbs. However if the trigger pull is good and not heavy enough to bother me I just leave it alone.

I don't have any clue what the trigger pull weight on my Marlin 1894 is. It's good and that's all I care about.

Both my 1980 Win 94 Trapper and the replacement lower tangs I've purchased for the AE action retro fit were horrid. Very heavy and one of them was so bad you could see the hammer rock back when the trigger was pulled. Those HAD to be fixed. The 1980 is right at 2.5 Lbs and the 94AE is between 2.5 and 3 Lbs now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

2.5-3.5, with CLEAN being more important than the actual break weight.
Certified gun nut
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Wild west trigger in all my Marlins. Never weighed them but they break really clean, a great product!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

adirondakjack wrote:2.5-3.5, with CLEAN being more important than the actual break weight.
+1
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Many thanks, Guys. They break clean and it looks like I'm where I should be weight-wise.

Thanks!
Dan
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

40 OUNCES...ON ANY RIFLE, CARBINE, OR PISTOL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I prefer 2lbs on a Target gun. 3.5-4lbs on a hunting gun. However I really want a crisp pull moreso than a certain weight.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!