OT Wyoming winter boot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

OT Wyoming winter boot

Post by HillbillyGadget »

I'm looking for a winter boot for when the temps drop down to zero and below, that's good for hunting, working, ranch work and will fit a pair of snow shoes.
So far I'm thinking of a pac style like schnees, whites or kennetrek.
What do you guys wear?
Don McDowell

Re: OT Wyoming winter boot

Post by Don McDowell »

Muck boots.
5 buckle over boots
La Cross 8 inch guide boots with the thinsulate boot liner.
Danners 200 gr thinsulate hunting boots.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I love my Sorels to bad I can't seem to find them any where these days. :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Redwings and thick socks , winter and summer. If it gets below 40 I stay in the house. jk
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I wear a pair of gortex lined insulated bellevilles with socks from Covert Threads. Feet nice and toasty.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wear Jungle Boots and wool socks down to about 32deg or so.

From 32 to 10 I have a pair of Danners with felt insoles.

From 10 to -50 I go with Matterhorns.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

+1 on muck boots for ranch work unless you like washing cow muck, mud and oil products off your spendy pacs. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

BigSky56 wrote:+1 on muck boots for ranch work unless you like washing cow muck, mud and oil products off your spendy pacs. danny
+1and they have some models now that will actually fit a stirrup.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

If your gonna be sitting for any length of time in zero degrees, I would think your gonna need a serious pair of pac type boots that you mentioned. That's probably your best trade off. If your gonna be moving most of the time and not still hunting, something like a Danner with thinsulate and good socks will work. Stop for any great length of time and your feet are gonna get real cold. Alot of guys had the Danner Ft. Lewis boots at Ft. Carson, CO and they worked pretty well, but you still have to stay moving in that kind of cold. Maybe a different set of boots for on the farm as they will constantly have poop and mud on them, and other stuff. You will probably want to be able to slip out them more easily than a hunting boot.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don, In the spring during breakup time I wear the muck boots riding I get muck & water clear up to my knees even with batwing chaps on, this spring I was wearing rain pants it was so wet. danny
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

sorrels, kodiaks or my issued military mukluks (they are the best and I wear those the most)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Danny about the same here. The last 2 springs have been a bit on the boggy side, but it's sure nice to see the pastures grow for a change. :)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

When I worked outdoors in North Dakota one either wore Sorel's or Mickey Mouse boots. Sorel's were great until the liner's got wet from sweat, then you froze. The Mickey Mouse boots were cumbersome and take some getting used to, but you could literally pour water into them and still not get cold. You do have sweaty wet feet if your doing anything strenous and you can combat some of that with good socks, but your feet aren't cold.
Old Law Dawg
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

kimwcook wrote:When I worked outdoors in North Dakota one either wore Sorel's or Mickey Mouse boots. Sorel's were great until the liner's got wet from sweat, then you froze. The Mickey Mouse boots were cumbersome and take some getting used to, but you could literally pour water into them and still not get cold. You do have sweaty wet feet if your doing anything strenous and you can combat some of that with good socks, but your feet aren't cold.
So right about the Sorel's liners. I eitehr kept a spare pair in the truck or I have found that wearing gortex or snowboarding socks under wool socks helped alot of the wet issues.

Try and find a pair of Canadian Army Winter Mukluks. They are by far the best (we know our winter gear) and your feet will never be wet or cold.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Sorels...and carry an extra set of liners in the game pouch in the back of my hunting coat.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

I use Lacrosse Burlys for mucking in the lot and have a couple of pairs of Danners with goretex, but uninsulated, I wear a good wool sock with liner socks, the Danners are good to 0, if I'm moving around. I had a pair of Sorrel trappers ,but they no longer make them.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

For the last 10 or so years I've been wearing the LIFETIME socks from Bass Pro. They are marino wool and last very well but the best thing is when they do wear out, no hassle, just take them back and get new ones. No questions asked! I know it's just to get you in the store but who cares, it's a fun place to go anyway.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS