OT - French color photography from WWI

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - French color photography from WWI

Post by RSY »

Very interesting and good quality photos @ http://www.mediatheque-patrimoine.cultu ... romes.html

An example - French and Swiss border details at the gate:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: OT - French color photography from WWI

Post by Old Savage »

Fancy gate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Old Savage wrote:Fancy gate.

You wouldn't want a "real" gate to get in the way of those retreating French would you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding around....neat photo otherwise.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Some amazing photos for sure.

Thanks for posting!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

It is amazing how you get to thinking over time these wars were fought in black & white! Good photos and link - thanks!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

CEMENTHEAD wrote:You wouldn't want a "real" gate to get in the way of those retreating French would you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not in WWI. The French did most of the Allied heavy lifting in that war. They suffered massive casualties, had superior tactics, etc., etc. They were "the Man," so to speak.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

gak wrote:It is amazing how you get to thinking over time these wars were fought in black & white! Good photos and link - thanks!
very good point, and with bumpy shutter speeds, too.

Beautiful photos, but you notice they stuck to the cities.
But I'm not sure I'd want to see the trenches in color, anyway...
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Neat link!.. Loved the Rail Gun!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

RSY wrote:
CEMENTHEAD wrote:Not in WWI. The French did most of the Allied heavy lifting in that war. They suffered massive casualties, had superior tactics, etc., etc. They were "the Man," so to speak.
Indeed. And most Americans are oblivious to the situation in France after the long Great Depression leading up to WWII. The country was on the verge of all out civil war and many French fascists welcomed the Nazis (initially at least - heck, they held to many of the same beliefs). Between fascism and communism, movements that had become powerful and almost universally troublesome across Europe, France was a mess but all of that has nothing to do with the historical fact that France, the French, and before them the Franks have fought with valor and tenacity for thousands of years. Heck, they LOVE to fight. And if I recall correctly, following WWII the French had to deal with continued problems from these far-left/far-right groups for over a decade and lost their grip on Vietnam in the process (impending civil war and failed coups no doubt seeming the more pressing issue). The following map shows the French Empire and satellite states in the early 19th Centrury. Although short lived, as was Hitler's 3rd Reich over a hundred years later, it speaks to the fact that the French were not and are not today pushovers.

When it comes to large military arms contracts around the world France is a constant competitor and I know many Ratheon folks here in Tucson who tell me that the French play to win. France refuses to kiss America's (or anyone's) butt and of course that drives Americans nuts and fuels the fire when it comes to making fun of the French. Hey, I'm game! I just wish more folks had a better grip on French history (and I don't consider myself any kind of expert on the subject) given how important they've been to Christendom and our European heritage in general.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Several years ago I checked out from the local library, a book on tape called "Over there" about The U.S. involvement in WWI. After reading the book I lost what little respect I had for the French. I found out that The French transported American troops with French trucks and then billed us for the service. They also sold us artillery shells to use to support our troops.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rusty wrote:Several years ago I checked out from the local library, a book on tape called "Over there" about The U.S. involvement in WWI. After reading the book I lost what little respect I had for the French. I found out that The French transported American troops with French trucks and then billed us for the service. They also sold us artillery shells to use to support our troops.
They had been at war for years and were going broke with their country in ruins while we sat it out. Frankly, I think we should have STAYED out of it but at the end of the day you should view what you describe above as nothing more than financial aid in my opinion. I would imagine that they billed us for airplanes to equip our flying squadrons as well, but I don't know if that's so.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Neat link!.. Loved the Rail Gun!
Yes! Although "rail gun" takes on a different meaning today. :wink:

Speaking of which. Here is a video of the Navy's rail gun accelerating a 7 pound projectile to 8,200fps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1q_rRicAwI&NR=1

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

olyinaz wrote:They had been at war for years and were going broke with their country in ruins while we sat it out. Frankly, I think we should have STAYED out of it but at the end of the day you should view what you describe above as nothing more than financial aid in my opinion. I would imagine that they billed us for airplanes to equip our flying squadrons as well, but I don't know if that's so.

Oly
that was all part of the politics because Gen Pershing refused to make American troops subordinate to French command and also refused to provide American troops as French reinforcements - American troops were only commanded by American officers.