OT - Lee Breech Block Vs Turrett Press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Lee Breech Block Vs Turrett Press

Post by pwl44m »

Has any one used Lee Presses and if so what do U think. I have access to a press 40 miles away but want one at home, I'm sure U understand. I have everything else needed to load 45 colt and 25-20 but no press. I brought home an old Lachmiller that was froze up. I broke it trying to free it up. If any one has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Am watching E-bay but they r mostly new prices with very high shipping . Thx
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Lee Breech Block Vs Turrett Press

Post by AJMD429 »

I have the 4-hole Lee 'Classic' Turret press, and use it more than my Dillon RL550B, because it is faster to set up and change cartridges, & the 'tool heads' are cheaper, so I can keep dies already set up and adjusted to just 'snap in' and start going. I use it more than my RCBS Rockchucker for the same reason, and keep the Rockchucker set up for 'odd and end' stuff like de-capping military brass or whatever.

I use the Lee Auto-Disk Pro powder measure on the press, because it is also quick to change settings on and they are totally reproducible, so although I check with a powder scale after switching settings, to be sure I didn't screw up and slip in the wrong pair of disks, the same setting drops the same powder just like it did last year. My previous powder measure was an RCBS, and although with enough money in extra add-ons I could set it up with the micrometer-bar and all that to have 'reproducible' settings, the Lee is still faster to change.

I was already using Lee dies almost exclusively, so even though I didn't start out to be 'brand-loyal', I wound up with an all-red loading setup, instead of a blue or green one.

If I had a huge space to work with, I'd keep all the equipment set up (I actually have two RCBS powder measures, for instance), and use the non-Lee stuff for 'dedicated' loading that I do alot of.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ Doc, does RCBS dies fit in the Lee. I already have them in 45 lc and 25-20 ?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Lee Turret press uses 'regular' dies of all makes. The 'proprietary' part is the turret, which the dies screw in to. The press comes with one turret, so if you wanted to you could just put your dies in and remove them like with any other press, which if you have 'set-screw' locking rings on the dies, saves your 'adjustments' for you. Since the turrets are very inexpensive ($12.99 at MidwayUSA), it's easier to just leave the dies in the turret and buy another turret for each die set. The only press I know that is common and doesn't use "regular" dies is the Dillon "Square Deal" which I guess uses proprietary Dillon dies; the Lyman 310 'hand tool' reloader also uses non-standard dies. The Lee 'hand press' uses STANDARD dies, if you want a 'portable' system, but it is larger than the Lyman 310.

Here's a "turret" - ImageImage

The Classic 4-hole Turret press - Image
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=814175

If you get a 3-hole press I guess you can upgrade to a 4-hole -
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=206578

More info on the LeePrecision web site - http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/bro ... urretPress

MidwayUSA 'Lee' search - http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... ndId=1262&
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Doc, I had the press in My cart at Midway along with some other stuff but removed it until I had some input on it.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a Lee classic cast and thinks it's great . I'm plan on buying the turret in th spring just for pistoll cartridges.
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

I have used Lee products for a long, long time. I have four dillon loaders + and old three hole turret Lee. I probably use the Lee the most. Changing caliber in the dillons are a pain-in-the-butt like the other guy said. You won't regret buying Lee. The money saved can be used for bullets, brass, powder & primers. :mrgreen:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

AJMD429 wrote:I have the 4-hole Lee 'Classic' Turret press, and use it more than my Dillon RL550B, because it is faster to set up and change cartridges, & the 'tool heads' are cheaper, so I can keep dies already set up and adjusted to just 'snap in' and start going. I use it more than my RCBS Rockchucker for the same reason, and keep the Rockchucker set up for 'odd and end' stuff like de-capping military brass or whatever.

I use the Lee Auto-Disk Pro powder measure on the press, because it is also quick to change settings on and they are totally reproducible, so although I check with a powder scale after switching settings, to be sure I didn't screw up and slip in the wrong pair of disks, the same setting drops the same powder just like it did last year. My previous powder measure was an RCBS, and although with enough money in extra add-ons I could set it up with the micrometer-bar and all that to have 'reproducible' settings, the Lee is still faster to change.

I was already using Lee dies almost exclusively, so even though I didn't start out to be 'brand-loyal', I wound up with an all-red loading setup, instead of a blue or green one.

If I had a huge space to work with, I'd keep all the equipment set up (I actually have two RCBS powder measures, for instance), and use the non-Lee stuff for 'dedicated' loading that I do alot of.
+3
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Guys,I am going to go with the Classic Turrett Press as it looks stronger. Now just finding one.I have a gun show coming up on Nov 27&28, but dont want to wait that long. A shopping I will Go (online) nothing around here. There is a Big sporting goods store in Vacaville that might have reloading stuff. I know they have a huge selection of Guns -new and used. That is about 2 hours away.
Do You count the fuel when You get to look at all that Stuff ?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well, Just to put up some info on the Lee Breech Lock press Vs Turret Press, you'll see quick change capability in a single stage type press...
https://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/br ... assic.html
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ The owners of Lee presses, will regular shell holders fit or do U have to use Lee. After some reading it looks like that is the case.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

pwl44m wrote:@ The owners of Lee presses, will regular shell holders fit or do U have to use Lee. After some reading it looks like that is the case.
I know they accept Hornady and RCBS, but all Lee dies come with the shell holders w/o extra cost so I only buy other brands when and if Lee does not have what I need.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx OTH,I already have RCBS dies and shell holders. When I get a press I want to be ready.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pwl44m wrote:Thx Guys,I am going to go with the Classic Turrett Press as it looks stronger. Now just finding one.
I ordered mine from MidwayUSA on a Sunday and it got delivered on Wednesday.

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I worked off of a Lee O frame single stage for over 20 years, until the link finally gave out...while waiting for the new link to come, I bought a Single Stage Lyman...The Lee was a great press, did everything I asked of it for a long time...but I will say that the Lyman is much more enjoyable to load off of. Mostly because of the cam action at the top of the stroke. Makes for more consistent OAL.

But I've never had a problem with any Lee products. They are well made and budget minded. But just so you understand, they are the Chevy Cavalier of the reloading world.

Ed
PEteacher
Levergunner

Post by PEteacher »

I don't know when they first came out, but I have been using my three-hole Lee turret press as my main press for over 30 years. I have loaded many thousands of rounds from .223 through .458 Winchester Magnum. It is starting to develop a little play in the lever, but if it crashes on me, I will gladly and confidently buy another. I have used other brands of presses, but the Lee loads ammo as good as any other.

PEteacher
"Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."
from "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had some OAL consistancy problems with the Turret Press. When I load on a hand press, I have no such problems.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have a "standard" 4 hole Lee Turret Press. I use it single stage and hand index, as I reload in batches ( size & deprime a bunch, later prime, then flare charge and seat). I have been loading 45 ACP this week and have been able to hold .001" to .002" on the OAL with no probs. I too have a bunch of Lee eequipment/tools; some because I didn't have much to spend and some 'cause they were available, and they all worked, except for one die, and I fixed that easily. (I do have dies and molds and presses from other manufacturers so I ain't a Lee "snob" :lol:)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx ever so much Guys, this is the input I have been looking for. Unless I find a whale of a deal on a Breech Lock press I am going to order the Clasic Turrett Press. For those of U who have this press, is there anything I need to order at the same time ? I think all that comes with it is the press and 1 turrett. again THX
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

I'd order as many extra turrets as I could afford. But I may be prejudiced. I'm fickle in my loading projects and w/o the turrets I'd have carpel tunnel from twisting dies.
The only other caution is regarding the lock rings. Most of the other brands have lock rings TOO large for installing on a turret. You should have at least one set of Lee rings to replace on the other brand die sets. Personally I like the Lee locking system and have replaced all of the rings on my other sets. I've had less trouble in my adjustments and fewer frustrations in daily use. JMHO/FWIW
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pepe,

How's that .260 Rem chambered Savage 99 doing? You should tell folks about it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yes! Tell us about that 99
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

The search is over. I just ordered the Classic 4 hole turret press reloading Kit. It was on sale at Cabelas for $189 with a $30 rebate. I couldn't pass it up. The rebate covered the shipping and xtra turret.
Thx again for all Your input. Now I will prolly be bugging U for load data.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

O.K., I will, but not tonight. It's late. I'm old and tired.
Besides, I gotta think about it. Sometimes I get started on a subject and don't know when to quit.
If we were sitting around a fire someone/anyone could slap me in the head, tell me to shut up and go to bed, but
here Hobie would have to do something 'techie'.

So I'll prepare something for a new thread-- later.
G'nite,
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.