Where can you get 22 sabots for 30-30?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Where can you get 22 sabots for 30-30?

Post by BenT »

I know Remington makes the accelerator ammo. But can you buy just the sabots for reloading?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

JD components in orem utah is where I've bought them from in the past.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Don did you have much success with accuracy using their sabots?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ben yes and no. You need to match the bullet weight to the rifle twist. I found in the 30-30's going with 45 gr bullets did better than 55's. In the 308 55's worked fair. My 06 just flat hates the things and will sting 10 of them verically for 12 inches at 100.

Couple of tips, clean the barrel reallly clean, flare the case mouths for seating the bullet just like a cast bullet, and watch to not get to much crimp. If the rifle you're going to shoot those in has much in the way of throat erosion you're not likely to get much for accuracy.
They suggest using the fast for the cartridge powders, I found that actually going with medium burn rate worked better. Altho I did load some with 2400 in the 30-30 ai that did well.

They take some time and some fiddlin and you may or may not come up with anything outstanding. They do make for some interesting tinkering tho, but don't expect to turn your trusty levergun into a boltaction 22-250 varminter, you can get the speed , but probably not that giltedged accuracy.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks Don , sounds like something I will need a little time to dial in.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

your welcome Ben, they can be a mind boggler thats for sure.
If you decide to get some , I'm looking forwards to hearing how you come out with them.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There was a fellow at the range last week that was trying some of the Remington factory loads in a Marlin .30-30. At 100 yards they wouldn't stay on the 16"X16" target backer.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.