Marlin 39AS problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 39AS problem

Post by TX50Cal »

I have a Marlin 39AS that I have owned for a couple of years. I don't get to shoot it much so took it out today. I hada Redfield 3-9X scope on it that I thought had problems. I had the left/right turned as far as it would go and it still shot left. I replaced the scope today with a Simmons Aetec 2.5-10 that I had laying around. Tried to sight it in and had to screw the adjustments as far as it would go to move the bullet impact up and it still shot low. Anything I should look at? I measured the scope mount holes on the top to see if they were maybe drilled crooked but they seem straight. Without the scope It shot fine. I really want to scope this gun but I don't know what else to do. Thanks for any info.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39AS problem

Post by jdad »

1. Internals on the Refield could be gunked up or sticky.
2. Burris Signature Z rings, with the correct combination of inserts, will solve your elevation problems. Remember you're putting a centerfire scope on a rimfire.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Have you tried reversing the rings, i.e., exchanging them front-to-back & vice versa? Sometimes this helps, or so I've heard.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Jdad has a point, but there is another consideration, Parallax. I've seen quite a few centerfire scopes that would NOT zero on a 22 because the standard setting for parallax on a centerfire scope is 100yards. Shooting at close hunting ranges doesn't matter as much in a big game scenario so it usually doesn't show up with them but can when sighting in a closer ranges. Shooting at closer ranges like 50 or (much) worse 25 yards with a 22 with one of these scopes sometimes has so much variation that they didn't have enough adjustment to zero. Not that that would matter much, a little different cheek weld would change POI again anyway. Get a 22 scope or one of those airgun scopes that have adjustable parallax and I'll bet your problem will be solved.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This is probably the best all around rimfire scope, for the money, with an AO.

http://www.theopticzone.com/default.asp ... il&id=1440
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.