Wot Canon Safes - It's working

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Wot Canon Safes - It's working

Post by pwl44m »

I have a Canon safe TS 6030 with a digital lock.
does anyone know if they have to be level to LOCK. I opened Mine yesterday and now it wont lock. It did it once before. Ichanged the baterry but no help. Anyone have this problem. I E-mailed Canon and haven't gotten a response yet.I just hate to leave the house with it open although not many people know it is here.

It is working but I dont know if is fixed. I finally figured out how to get into where the Lock is.
I will give some pointers here for those of You who might be a DIYer like Me. The Panel inside the door is just 5/8 sheetrock with felt glued to it. That panel slides up and out at the bottom then lower it out. Like a Chicken door (some will know what I mean).
I dont know what I did actually except mess with it.I did some oiling on the dogs but don't know if that did anything. One thing U might do even if U r not having trouble is to put a oil or grease on the very bottom of the Bolts while thet r sticking out so they dont bind. The bolts have to be completely closed for the lock to work. I am putting on a couple pics with the panel off.
Hope this helps any one having problems.
BTW it is an SG mechanism. stands for Sargent Greenleaf .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pwl44m on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wot Canon Safes

Post by El Chivo »

Good that it locked open instead of closed.

A year or so ago there was someone on this site with a problem with their digital locks so you might try a search. He did manage to open it by getting into the wiring.

I have a Cannon with a digital lock so I'll watch this thread.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Chivo,I did a search and all it came up with was Your post and Mine.My problem is that it "wont" Lock at all. U can turn the handle back and forth.The bolts actually come out but can be opened without the combo. It looks closed but all one has to do is turn the handle.No combo required.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm. I sorta looking for a new safe. Mine's full, and I don't have a lot of room for another, but it's either get one or sell some guns, ain't happening. I was looking at the new dlectronic locks. My old Sportsman has a god old fashion mechanical lock. But, with this thread, I'm thinking I'll just stick with the old fashioned locking mechanism. Hey, here's a question, I bet the doom and gloom types never thought of, will an emp disable your electronic lock in the locked position?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You should check out Michael Bane's blog. He had a heck of a time with his. http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... story.html You can search his blog for the whole sordid tale. Good luck.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I can't answer your question about the electronic lock on your safe. However at this point I'd be calling a locksmith familiar with that type of safe and getting it fixed.

I totally distrust electronic gizmos. When I get a gun safe it will be a mechanical lock type only. No electronics other than perhaps an alarm system.

And yes, an EMP will totally fry the electronic locks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Hobie, I visited the blog and it sounds like I may be UPCWP. I like the idea of changing to a combo lock if it can be done. I bought the safe with some guns so NO warr.I assume ( theres that word). Maybe they will have a recall.At least it isn't locked shut.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I like S&G mechanical locks.

The electronic lock is just another device
to have a dead battery at the most inopportune
time. Or, the battery leaks.

I believe a good locksmith could swap yours.

Good Luck!

=Stretch
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We used the S&G mechanical locks in the military, that may have changed, and they worked, every time, some for 50+ years!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

pwl44m wrote:Thx Chivo,I did a search and all it came up with was Your post and Mine.My problem is that it "wont" Lock at all. U can turn the handle back and forth.The bolts actually come out but can be opened without the combo. It looks closed but all one has to do is turn the handle.No combo required.
Perry, Hobie's link is the one I was thinking of.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Wot Canon Safes - It's working

Post by Mutt »

I have a Liberty safe . No elictronics for me . I just turn the tumblers a few times and it opens. I love that .
Best of luck .

Mutt
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It probably doesn't matter what brand of safe U buy, they will probably all have the same Chink stuff locks. I edited My original post with Pics if U haven't noticed. I just enlarged My pic and it says USA
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Based on your first question, I'd try leveling it & see what results I get, while I'm waiting to hear from the mfg'r. Just might be the trick. Good luck with it.......sorry I can't suggest anything more. jd45
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ummm.... I'm glad you got it working.
Sincerely,

Hobie