Early Season BP hunt in Penn's Woods

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Early Season BP hunt in Penn's Woods

Post by rjohns94 »

The alarm went off at 4:15 am, though it did not catch me asleep. The preparations of the night before left me excited and anticipating the days hunt. It has been a dry streak for me on deer over the last three years, maybe four. The rains of the week gave way to 40 mph gusts and a steady 20mph blow. Temps were in the 40's and I knew that the spot I had picked to hunt held deer, and if I got on stand early, the other hunters on the game lands would stir the deer up.

I made the quick trip to the game lands on the west side of town. I was abandoning my traditional spots in favor of a new location. To the north was private land across the railroad tracks. To the south, some 5000 acres of game lands and hopeful hunters. The private land belongs to a great friend. I had postioned my self in a location that any other hunters coming on the game land would push deer to me.

I had my night vision binos and I scanned the field in front me, some 270 degrees of fields. I could see, as the dawn approached, vehicles parking along the road in the distant south. The wind was in my face and I sat within the embrace of tree branches, on the ground, with my back against a brush line. I sat and pondered the creation spread out before me. A beautiful dawn was beginning to be painted in the sky by the master creator. The story of the hunt written in the black skies above: the seven sisters watch, as the taurus the bull is pursued by orion with his bow, his faithful dog Sirius at his heel, the never ending hunting displayed this am for my pleasure as I waited for the 646 shooting time.

Shooting time came and went and the night vision binos were set aside for my predator Steiner binos. I started to glass the field and before long, I spotted a doe making her way across my field of view, left to right on your screen, south to north by compass. I could just see her head and back line as she made her way though the field. I cocked the flintlock and stood waiting. She was well over 150 yards away but I felt she just might come my way. She exited the field and was at the brush line that paralled the rail road tracks. I knew from my scouting that in that brush line were many scrapes and rubs. I was after a doe during this early season, no bucks could be taken by muzzleloaders. She stood at the end of the field and then turned right, towards me.

As she made her way along the brush line, she would jog a bit, then stop and sniff, then walk, then stick her head into the brush. Several times I thought she was going to cross that line and be lost to me but she kept coming. She was heading for the area where the two brush lines met in the corner of the field, the main exit point off the game lanes in this area and across the rail road tracks. It was 705 at this time and I had my rifle up and I was trying to hold steady and I was having difficulty seeing the front sight. My glasses were beside my seat and with her coming closer, I couldn't move. 75 yards, 60, 55 and she stopped. She was looking around and was curious about me though I don't think she saw me. She turned a bit and I felt she was going to bolt so I settled the sight and pulled the trigger. She was obscurred by the cloud of smoke at first but she was running away, along the brush line and turned right, exactly where she had stood before and lept into the woods. Gone ...

I sat to reload and while I was doing that, a small forky, and then a much bigger 6 point came running out of the field, exactly where the doe had come through earlier. The larger buck led and he serviced his rubs and scrapes, coming in and out of the woods. The smaller buck bedded at the end of the field and watched. For the next hour my thoughts were replaying the shot and I was trying to convince myself I could not have missed that shot but she sure looked like she was moving unhurt when I last saw her. I didn't want to spook the bucks and I watched them be bucks for the hour, wishing they would vacate the area so I could go check on my shot.

Finally the smaller buck went through the brush line and eventually the bigger one did too so I got up and went looking for sign of blood. In the area I thought she was standing when I shot, I managed to find hair, a clump about the size of a quarter on the ground. No Blood. ???? Did I shoot high and clip hair off? (the hair was dark, not white) Did I really miss her at that range? I started walking towards where she had gone into the woods some 75 yards away. I zig zagged across the path looking for blood but could find none. About 30 yards into this, the bigger buck came back out of the Brush. I froze on my knee and waited. Another doe stood up in the field near him. I was pinned down for 10 mins. Two hunters could be seen moving through the corn field in the distance. The Buck saw them too and he exited back through the brush, taking the doe with him.

I still could not find any blood but I kept moving back and forth towards her exit point and just as I got within 5 yards of that spot, I found her laying there, piled up. There was not one drop of blood anywhere near her except that which pooled from out of her mouth where she lay. I approached, gave her some grass, gave thanks and praise to my Lord and Creator for this blessing and prepared the tag.

The long drought is over for whitetail and as I examined the shot, I can see where the .54 cal round ball went in at the point of the right shoulder and passed through the shoulder and quartered all the way through her body to come to rest on the far side, left hind quarter. Not a pass through. How she covered the distance she did running, I have no idea. They are amazing animals for sure. I am honered to have taken her. A mature female, exactly what I was looking for and had prayed for.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Early Season BP hunt in Penn's Woods

Post by cshold »

+1 Sounds like you have found a hot little spot Mike.
Nothing doing for me this morning, didn't even see another
hunter. Now tree-rats on the other hand were all but
climbing in my pockets. Was wishing I had the Parker
with some of those BP shotshells with me. :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nice knife, too!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice read...Hats off to you Sir.. Flintlock and all!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Congratulations on a fine harvest, especially on your actions following the shot. You will have a fine area to go to next time around.

Spent most of the morning with my muzzleloader too...saw a passle of deer as I walked into the woods, but no opportunity as they were a good 300 to 400 yards off. Then noth'n until I mosey'd out around 1 pm or so. Cleared my rifle, noticed a discrepency and head'd for the range to investigate.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Congratulations, Mike! Thanks for posting the story and photos of your successful morning hunt. I think you probably would have been a friend of Simon Kenton and Davy Crockett!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Good story.Good hunt.Good way to hunt.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Congrats! Nice deer and an excellent story and pics!
Job well done Sir! :mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats on ending your dry spell Mike! :D
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great! Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very well written Mike, I could smell the smoke.

You have been blessed and done good with it.

Proud of you :D

Did you make the knife?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath, I didn't make the knife, it was made by a master craftsman. It is one of my favorite items I own, right there with my custom flintlock.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nice write up Mike. Glad you broke the dry spell.

Now, when's the meal invite coming? :D
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Very nice Mike, couple questions if you don't mind. The Penn. muzzle loader season requires a flintlock yes? Can you recommend a modern flinter rifle and pistol if legal? Are the muzzleloader special seasons open to out of staters? Again great story,shot and pictures!!!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations! What a great way to spend the morning.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Congrats! Great hunt!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Foxtrapper - The early muzzle loader season can be hunted with in-line rifles, flintlocks, percussion and even muzzle loading pistols. The seasons are open to out of state hunters. I hunt with a flintlock and don't own a modern muzzleloader in-line but TC makes a great one. The late season muzzleloader is flintlock only. If I had not had mine built, I would use a lyman great plains flinter for my muzzle loading.
Mike Johnson,

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Great job Mike!! :D :D :D

Enjoy a fine venison!

thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats on the deer Mike, like to see some pics of the rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...