I got burned!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

I got burned!

Post by MikeS. »

A few weeks ago I posted that I'd bought a 10/22 from a pawn shop, a nice walnut stocked one made in 1969. Nice shooter too.

So tonight a state trooper shows up at the house looking for the rifle, it had been reported stolen. The owner came home from a 3 week vacation and then reported 3 or 4 stolen guns. The cops traced it to the pawn shop who of course had my info.

So now I have to fight the pawn shop for my money back, the trooper said I might have to take them to small claims court.

Sucks!
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

At least the person who was robbed got his property back... The pawn shop too will suffer.

Slightly related. Our local pawn shop has a big sign on the door "Don't bring us stolen items". Directly underneath are two signs, "Convicted" and "Indicted" and below each sign are photos.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Prayers sent.

Try not to be so angry you lose yourself. Find out your rights. Hopefully the pawn shop will do right by you. It's a good way to keep your business.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If he didn't make it right the first thing I'd do is ask him if he would like you to call ATF. They can bring more heat on him in less time than small claims court could ever think of.
Then you can think of small claims court. Different states differ but here in Fla. if you paid an honest price for it and you don't know it to be stolen then it's your property. In other words you didn't pay a guy $20 bucks for it in the parking lot of the Piggley Wiggley.

Mike where do you live? My wife is from Wyoming County.

Rots O' Ruck,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:If he didn't make it right the first thing I'd do is ask him if he would like you to call ATF. They can bring more heat on him in less time than small claims court could ever think of.
Then you can think of small claims court. Different states differ but here in Fla. if you paid an honest price for it and you don't know it to be stolen then it's your property. In other words you didn't pay a guy $20 bucks for it in the parking lot of the Piggley Wiggley.
Rots O' Ruck,
Rusty <><
Which is why he's not being charged with either "possession of stolen property" or "receiving stolen property". If it hadn't been reported stolen as of the time of sale. I'm glad I don't live in FL. You sure you mean that if my property was stolen, I couldn't get it back? That's just wrong! I got one pistol back out of four stolen four years earlier, and would have gladly wrung anyone's neck that stood between me and my property using a short rope and tall tree. (And the PD gave me a case of .357 ammo that was recovered along with my pistol as it was unclaimed and they weren't allowed to use it). 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

The pawn shop used a Federal license to buy and sell a stolen firearm and is therefore the responsible party.

You filled out all the necessary paperwork and the call was made to the ATF/DOJ.

The pawn shop will have to refund your money or risk losing his FFL and/or business license.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I'm in Berkeley County, the Eastern panhandle, about 15 miles N of Winchester, Va.

I've talked to a buddy of mine, he does a lot of buying from this pawn shop. He says they'll refund my money, no problem. He works across the street from them.

It is a beautiful walnut stock.

It was filthy when I got it. I'm going to try and contact the owner, see if he wants to sell it.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

It's been a lot of years since I took business law, but I do recall something about a good faith buyer getting a good title to goods purchased from a seller who is engaged in their ordinary course of business.

Doesn't seem right, but that's what I remember.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

In Washington State the stolen firearm would be returned to the original rightful owner. In my opinion as should be.

The pawn shop, unknowingly bought stolen property. An honest pawn shop would be a victim too, but, I find a number of pawn shops don't want to look that close at stuff they purchse. It's money out of their pocket if they don't deal with crooks. And a number of them will play the odds of losing money and business by dealing with stolen property.

I'm not saying all pawn shops are dirty, just a number of the ones I've dealt with in law enforcement willingly skirt the edges.

Sorry for your troubles.
Old Law Dawg
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

pawn shop gun

Post by joachim slim »

i run a pawn shop for 15 yrs here in mo. you have to be reimbursed by the pawn shop. then they have to press charges against the guy that stole/pawned it.
PJA
Levergunner

Post by PJA »

Thank goodness it was a relatively inexpensive gun.
Pete
Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

The hundred and a few bucks isn't a big deal. I hate losing that lovely gun, it has a really nice walnut stock and shoots well. Plus the trigger group on those older models are better then the lawyerized versions now produced.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

MikeS. wrote:The hundred and a few bucks isn't a big deal. I hate losing that lovely gun, it has a really nice walnut stock and shoots well. Plus the trigger group on those older models are better then the lawyerized versions now produced.
So, you know the owner missed it, too! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:At least the person who was robbed got his property back... The pawn shop too will suffer.

Slightly related. Our local pawn shop has a big sign on the door "Don't bring us stolen items". Directly underneath are two signs, "Convicted" and "Indicted" and below each sign are photos.
EVERY shop should have a sign like this. I know - cavaet emptor (I'm sure I butchered the spelling - my latin is a bit rusty! :wink: ) - the "buyer beware". Still, the buyer "bewaring" here should have been the pawn shop - getting proof of ownership or excellent records on the seller...

MikeS - sorry to hear about your troubles. As Hobie said though, the original owner got his gun back - I know we'd all like to be in the shoes if someone stole our guns!