OT - Any Mini-14 experts on board??? Question...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - Any Mini-14 experts on board??? Question...

Post by RSY »

I have a first civilian year (1976) 180-series rifle and have always wondered why the receiver and bolt catch were re-designed for the 181-series and beyond. What were the shortcomings/deficiencies of the original design?

Gracias, amigos,
Scott
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Any Mini-14 experts on board??? Question...

Post by AJMD429 »

Two changes I know of:

1. the 'hold-open' part was simplified, so it was an easy-to-use 'button' instead of the exposed metal plate thing, and the mechanism was covered by a sliding metal guard that maybe made manufacture easier, and allows side-mounts like the B-Square.

2. the bolt 'roller' was replaced with a simple protrusion, I suppose because it was cheaper and the roller deemed unnecessary, although it could be the roller actually caused problems.

I used to have an older one, but had to sell it for college money. Fortunately, I soon replaced it with a Ranch Rifle in the 'new' series.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

CMIIAW, I thought the early models could be made full auto. I have an early model.Definitely NO full autos in My Stable.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

The changes were made to reduce production cost and a lot of people complained about the hole in the side of the receiver for the bolt hold open. The roller bolt was actually a better design, the full autos still have them.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Well, I completely forgot that I have Duncan Long's book on the Mini-14 on my shelf. Here's what he says:

1. 180-series has a thinner gas piston.
2. Stamped metal for the forward sling swivel.
3. The external bolt-catch proved to be "prone to jamming in a dirty environment."

There it is.

Scott