do you still have your first gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: do you still have your first gun?

Post by CowboyTutt »

I love that pic, Jeremy! If your still planning on coming out here, you better buy a bike dated 2011 or 2012. After that, the new law that Gov. Arny (not just a RINO but at LINO (Liberal in Name Only) let go into effect without signing or veto-ing will go into effect and you will not be able to put any exhaust louder than bone stock, without a glaring EPA certified sticker on the outside of the exhaust for the CHP to read. I'm not kidding. We have been TOTALLY sold out here in Commiefornia. Maybe its better you don't come back at all and choose to live somewhere else in a still "free country".

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

Yes Remington 514 cost $16 new. Grass cutting money age 14,
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Yup, 1977 Marlin 39a! Wish I still had my first handgun, Ruger SuperSingle Six. :(
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I wish! the first gun, an original model 16 air rifle I wore out. My first powder burner was a Winchester 320, which I got as a 15th birthday present. Dad allowed me to trade it in a couple of years later and purchase a 9422 magnum- which I still have.

I also have a BRNO ZP49E S/S 12 guage that my parents gave me as a 21st. Though I shoot better with my Beretta over unders ( an ultra light and a sporting model) the side by side is an emotional favourite.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

iceman wrote:I sure do, a Win model 67 22 single shot my Dad gave me. I also have my Dad's rem model 870 wingmaster in 20 ga. I used it more than him when I was a kid shot alot of partridge with it.
Wow iceman, mine is almost identical. I have my first 3 guns. Mom and Dad gave me my Dad's old Winchester 67 .22 single shot when I was about 7. I still have the Rem 870 20 gauge they bought new at TG&Y and gave me for Christmas when I turned 10 or 11. I still have the original box. I also have first gun I purchased, a Ruger MKII 5.5" heavy barrel. I bought it when I was about 13 and have worn a portion of the blueing off and put probably close to 100K rounds through it. I shot a brick a week through it for quite a while. I believe I have traded off most of the next 100 guns I bought.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Yup. Pump Stevens .22lr with a hair trigger. Dad bought it off my great-uncle for $1.67, all the change he had in his pocket. Ten's of thousands of rounds down the barrel and it still shoots like a dream.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Yes, dad gave it to me when I was 9, a Hamilton #51 boys rifle, .22 single shot bolt action. Was my dad's rifle when he was a boy. It's been mine for 50+ years now. I bought my son a new Chipmunk .22 when he was 9, and he still has it too.
UNITE
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

No, I'm 65 and have been a trader all my life. :o
"That'll Be The Day"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I still have my Savage Stevens Favorite that I got when I was about 5. First sixgun was around 12 I bought with the money
I made working for my Dad's construction co, all summer. It's a Uberti '51 Navy that if I remeber right was $110.00

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

YEA--STILL HAVE IT! A WINCHESTER MODEL 1866 THAT I BOUGHT BRAND NEW IN 1872---TERRY MURBACH :D :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

KSFlatheadhunter wrote:
iceman wrote:I sure do, a Win model 67 22 single shot my Dad gave me. I also have my Dad's rem model 870 wingmaster in 20 ga. I used it more than him when I was a kid shot alot of partridge with it.
Wow iceman, mine is almost identical. I have my first 3 guns. Mom and Dad gave me my Dad's old Winchester 67 .22 single shot when I was about 7. I still have the Rem 870 20 gauge they bought new at TG&Y and gave me for Christmas when I turned 10 or 11. I still have the original box. I also have first gun I purchased, a Ruger MKII 5.5" heavy barrel. I bought it when I was about 13 and have worn a portion of the blueing off and put probably close to 100K rounds through it. I shot a brick a week through it for quite a while. I believe I have traded off most of the next 100 guns I bought.

Darin
So far, that makes three of us whose first firearm (air guns don't count, heck most of us probably had a Red Ryder first) was a Winchester Model 67. I wonder just how many of those things Winchester made. I think I'll take mine to the range next time out, just for the heck of it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Yes, 1949 Marlin 336A. My Dad gave it to me when I was 12, after I shot my first Mulie with it.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Mossberg New Haven 251c semi-auto .22 with Ted Williams 4x scope.
plastic trigger guard and breech plug.
Nice little carbine and handy dovetails for mounting the scope.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Yes, a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.....bought NIB about 1972. It's a bit tired, and is in line for a re-furbish at some point in the future. Mea Culpa for not being a better parent !!! :mrgreen:
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

CowboyTutt wrote:I love that pic, Jeremy! If your still planning on coming out here, you better buy a bike dated 2011 or 2012. After that, the new law that Gov. Arny (not just a RINO but at LINO (Liberal in Name Only) let go into effect without signing or veto-ing will go into effect and you will not be able to put any exhaust louder than bone stock, without a glaring EPA certified sticker on the outside of the exhaust for the CHP to read. I'm not kidding. We have been TOTALLY sold out here in Commiefornia. Maybe its better you don't come back at all and choose to live somewhere else in a still "free country".

-Tutt
Yep I like that pic a lot always puts a smile on my face. I had heard about that bill. Truth be told I am not supprised it was just a mater of time once they mandated catalytic converters on bikes :twisted: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My Dad gave me 3. One he bought on the way to the hospital the day I was born - a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge. The other two he had previously but gave to me when I was a little kid - A Wards Westernfield .22 pump action with tang peep sight and adjustable aperatures! - and a Savage 220 B single shot 12 gauge. Those are 3 I will never part with.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Learned to shoot with Granpa's single shot Springfield 22. Still have it.

My dad bought me a H&R single shot 20 guage and Ruger 10/22 . Still have them .

The first gun I bought was a new 1977 Win 94 30-30. Still have it. It was my only deer rifle until 1994. I still use it for still hunting.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

SFRanger7GP wrote:Yes. It is a S&W M17 .22LR that was placed in the crib with me the day I was brought home from the hospital.
THAT's the way to start a kid out right...! :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Nope --- Century Arms FAL , circa 1996, and long gone - - was the first rifle i had purchased for myself, and i had never had one given to me before, but had always used borrowed rifles for hunting
----- Doug
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Another current owner of the amazing Nylon 66 .22 LR - the first gun that I actually called my own, at age 15 or 16. It went into tunnels, an old deserted gold mine, sliding down cliffsides with its owner, and has reliably dispatched a small city of little critters despite its early abuse. When I finally learned how to open it up and clean it, I relived these adventures as sand and dirt came tumbling out of the works. A truly indestructible and faithful first rifle.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

My first was a Winchester 67 Boys Rifle. My folks gave it to me on Christmas Day 1953. Man, was I ever excited! Put as many .22s of different lengths though it that I could afford over the next number of years. Passed it on to my son when he was twelve. I suppose he still has it, but guess he would have a hard time finding it if I asked him to show it to me today. Also doubt today it has a metal surface that would not be covered in a film of rust. :(
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well, depends the first one given to me? or the first one I purchased? Does my Red Rider count? got that when I was around 8 years old, still have that in the garage.

First one given to me for hunting was a pre-1898 Stevens Ideal model 44 chambered in 25-20 that is hanging on the wall of the cabin besides the second rifle that was given to me, a Winchester 1892 (made in 1896) in .44-40...both of these are now wall hangers, can't remember why the Stevens is but the '92 has a cracked receiver by the locking lug slides.

First one I ever purchased is this one:

That I gave to my then 10 year old daughter (she's 12 now), she likes that ugly thing on the top it...pretty darn accurate with it too! I bought it in about 1967 at a Treasure Island store for $39.99, including a box of ammo, a sling (the one still on it), and a Tasco scope.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Yes--a Marlin 99M1, from the folks as a Christmas present in '64.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GoatGuy wrote:My first was a Winchester 67 Boys Rifle. My folks gave it to me on Christmas Day 1953. Man, was I ever excited! Put as many .22s of different lengths though it that I could afford over the next number of years. Passed it on to my son when he was twelve. I suppose he still has it, but guess he would have a hard time finding it if I asked him to show it to me today. Also doubt today it has a metal surface that would not be covered in a film of rust. :(
Well, now we're up to five.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

GoatGuy wrote:My first was a Winchester 67 Boys Rifle. My folks gave it to me on Christmas Day 1953. Man, was I ever excited! Put as many .22s of different lengths though it that I could afford over the next number of years. Passed it on to my son when he was twelve. I suppose he still has it, but guess he would have a hard time finding it if I asked him to show it to me today. Also doubt today it has a metal surface that would not be covered in a film of rust. :(
My Dad has his from 1934 - it fires with either the thumb trigger or finger trigger - he wasn't about to pass it down to me, which is why he bought me the Mossberg when I was a kid.
His has most of the blue and a few rust spots from where he tapped squirrels on their heads to finish them.
Spamtown_.45
Levergunner

Post by Spamtown_.45 »

My first "gun" was a Daisy BB gun. The first rifle my father purchased just for me was a S&W Model 1500 in .300 Win Mag. The first gun I bought with my own money was a Rem 870 Express. I still have them all.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My first gun was a Marlin bolt action 22 that was around the house for as long as I can remember. A fellow killed his wife with it, and my Grandfather who was his lawyer got it as part of his fee.

I learned to shoot with that rifle and hauled it many miles over the sand stone rocks of Coleman County Texas when I was a boy. But in 1971, I donated it to a yard sale, the proceeds of which were going to a rural Kentucky family that was burned out and lost everything. I was a student for the second time around and really didn't know where the next meal was coming from, but i had two 22 rifles, so I donated my first one in lieu of a cash contribution which I didn't have.

I have often wished I had that old rifle back, but it went for a good cause and it was the right thing to do at the time.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

yup...still got it...bought with money i saved from setting pins in the bowling alley at ft sill Okla in 1954-55...(my dad bought it for me as i was too young to legally purchase one at the time.

a sears JC Higgins, .22 (made by marlin as the model 101(?) single shot, manually cocked, rimfire.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Well HECK YES, I do. Ithaca model 37 12 gauge bought for 90 bucks when I was 16 (my brother was 18 and legal to buy a gun in the grand ole state of MA!) Year was 1969.
I sold and traded boat loads of other guns but this one will stay till the end. I wish I could have a picture of all the game in one place it has taken, deer, geese, wild dogs, rabbits, squirels etc etc.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Yep a lakefield-mossberg (insert cooey, savage or winchester in here) MKII bolt action 22. Got it brand new in 1976.
jjh501
Levergunner

Post by jjh501 »

Mine was a Glenfield 22. I was about 10 when my father gave it to me. It's still my favorite squirrel gun 43 years later.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Sure do. . . . .my father gave me his Mossberg Mdl. 49(?) semi-auto .22 with all kinds of adjustable sights on it when I was 10 (1954). Four years later when I was old enough to legally hunt big game in Wyoming he gave me his Win. Mdl. 94 ( 32 special). My father also owns a bolt action 12 ga. (Sears I think) but he is holding on to that. Says he might go duck hunting again. Perhaps on his 90th birthday next year. . :D
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

no the australin gobermant decided I was not able to own it :evil:
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
GregT
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GregT »

I was shooting and wrecking my hearing with an H&R Model 922, 9 shot .22 revolver at age 9! Dad got me going early! I still have the revolver and have not fired it in years.
GregT
"Underneath our starry flag, civilize 'em with a Krag"

War in the Phillipines, 1900.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

The first gun I used was my Mom's Winchester Model 20 single shot .410. My first gun was a birthday present in 1949, a Marlin Bolt action Model 81DL tube fed .22. Two years later I purchased a Marlin Model 336SC in .35 Remington, followed by a Winchester Model 37 12 gauge single shot.

This was my arsenal for quite a few years. I still have them all. In fact, out of nostalgia, I'm using the .35 for deer hunting this year! :D
Happy Trails!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

still have my first gun: in 1972 I bought new a Remington Nylon 66. Still works just fine, even after 10 gazillion rounds.

Also, I have what I think is my dad's first gun: a Savage Premier Single Shot bolt action .22.

Cheers,

Carl
aragornelessar86
Levergunner

Post by aragornelessar86 »

Never have gotten rid of a gun. I was about to thin the collection but then there was an "accident" in our household and I figure I'd better make sure I've got guns to pass along to the little tyke.

My first gun was a Ruger Old Vaquero, 4.5in BBL, SS, .357 and a Puma '92, 24in BBL, SS, .357. Both are tack drivers.
Puma 92, 24.5in. BBl. length, SS, .357 Mag
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

dbateman wrote:no the australin gobermant decided I was not able to own it :evil:
I think if I were faced with that, I'd want to destroy the gun myself, or at least disable it, before handing it over, even if they said they were going to melt it down. Partly because any government which disarms its citizens is by definition not trustworthy, so I wouldn't trust them to actually destroy it, vs. sell it to unsavory types, and partly because such a government I would assume to be potentially very dangerous itself, and not trust those unsavory types with weapons, either.

[/back-on-topic mode ON]
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

No. My first gun was a J. C. Higgins (Sears) bolt action 16 ga. repeater given to me for Christmas when I was maybe 11 years old. My younger brother got mud in the barrel and blew it up. But I do have the first gun I bought for myself after graduating from college in 1968. It's an Ithaca Model 37 12 ga. pump. Bought it on time at the local Western Auto (long gone) for $10 a month. Hey, I couldn't pay the whopping $110 price all at once! It still works as well as it ever did and I still use it. The lightweight sucker kicks like a mule.
Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

The BB guns are long gone but I have my first 22. A Savage arms model 120 series A. I also have my first deer rifle a Rem model 141 35rem.