Marlin 1894 Sporter (ATTN: Neal) and selling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Marlin 1894 Sporter (ATTN: Neal) and selling

Post by Hobie »

I saw a scoped Marlin 1894 Sporter (the seller called it a "Sportsman") at this past weekend's show. A bit dinged up it was asking $550. I did NOT buy it. I was put off by the seller's attitude.

As I approached his table I moved into hearing range and heard him telling a friend (apparently) of his that he was selling the guns because he was out of work and "needed" the money. I was about to open my mouth to ask about the 1894 when another fellow walked up. He was apparently returning after either looking through the rest of the show or discussing the purchase with somebody. The seller then proceeded to give him a totally bogus story about the gun, gun history, etc. When the buyer called him on a couple of specifics (which could have applied to the sale) the seller became irate and was obnoxious. I was pretty much into the show by then and when I turned to look at the potential buyer I noticed he was tucking his cash back into his pocket. He'd been ready to buy and talked right out of it by the seller's attitude. It wasn't the "stuff" he'd told about the gun but how he'd reacted when called on a point or two. The formerly prospective buyer then said "good luck" and walked away. The seller muttered something under his breath and then I moved on.

Why do I recount this? Because I know there are a number of forum members, many of whom are lurking, who are out of work and selling off some of their guns. I just want to remind you that it isn't to your benefit to put off the buyer. Be factual, admit to ignorance about things about the gun of which you are ignorant. You need only really discuss the price, allow the buyer to examine the gun and make his own decision and SMILE and otherwise make the buyer feel comfortable. Your ego matters not at all, the buyer's ego is paramount. Whether he is buying the gun to complete a collection or feed his Walter Mitty fantasy life matters not at all. Avoid any appearance of judging the buyer. Be absolutely honest about condition and the gun won't come back to you either. This guy lost 2 sales totaling over $1000 (a house payment maybe) due to his expressed attitude.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894 Sporter (ATTN: Neal) and selling

Post by Dave »

In college I worked at a liquor store owned by a man named Walter Wilkerson. Walter was a good man and a good business man too. I learned a lot from him. There was a sign hanging near the cash registers that read:

Samson killed 10,000 Philistines with the jaw bone of an butt. Each day at least that many sales are killed with the same weapon.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I cannot tell you the number of times I have put my money back into my pocket after being 'subjected' to a sellers attitude.

And many times I have bought something that I was sure I paid too much but couldn't resist simply because of the sellers great and frank attitude.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Hobie wrote: . . . it isn't to your benefit to put off the buyer. Be factual, admit to ignorance about things about the gun of which you are ignorant. You need only really discuss the price, allow the buyer to examine the gun and make his own decision and SMILE and otherwise make the buyer feel comfortable. Your ego matters not at all, the buyer's ego is paramount. Whether he is buying the gun to complete a collection or feed his Walter Mitty fantasy life matters not at all. Avoid any appearance of judging the buyer. Be absolutely honest about condition and the gun won't come back to you either . . .

Sage advice for anyone selling anything at any time.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Dave wrote:In college I worked at a liquor store owned by a man named Walter Wilkerson. Walter was a good man and a good business man too. I learned a lot from him. There was a sign hanging near the cash registers that read:

Samson killed 10,000 Philistines with the jaw bone of an butt. Each day at least that many sales are killed with the same weapon.

The store I worked in as a high school kid had signs posted behind the counter, visible to us but not to the customers:

"If we do not take care of our customers, someone else will."

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Hobie, I totally agree with you. I found a box of so-called "obsolete" ammunition that was being sold by a dealer at a recent gun show. It happens to be a caliber I shoot. I was interested. But when I asked the dealer a question, I got an answer that reflected an attitude that I cannot describe properly in this forum. Then, he proceeded to dress down his son in my presence, when the son came to ask a question. Called his own kid some names that I also cannot print in this forum. I felt terrible for the son, ticked off at the dealer, and as a result I hope he chokes on those cartridges.

You see, those cartridges may be hard to find, but the guys who shoot them are pretty rare, too. And that dealer just sent one packing.

Here's a couple stories to demonstrate the depths of my own stupidity. Last week at a gun show about an hour's drive away, I saw a NIB Winchester 1984 NRA commemorative musket in .30-30 for $450. Problem was I had just walked in the door, and was uncomfortable buying while the stamp on my hand was still wet. I went back an hour later, and it was gone. Dealer said that the guy who bought it was quite pleased. On Saturday, at a local antique festival, I saw a nice looking Marlin Model 1893 in .38-55 (a caliber I want), with a half octagon barrel. The guy was asking $750 but indicated he would deal. I needed to think about it. But I thought too long. It was gone not 30 minutes later. So, I guess whatever the Detroit Lions have is contagious, because I am Zero for 2.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Good advice. Always treat the customer with respect, whether they are buying or not, and no matter what the amount of the sale. thanks Hobie. great thread.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

2X22 wrote:I cannot tell you the number of times I have put my money back into my pocket after being 'subjected' to a sellers attitude.

And many times I have bought something that I was sure I paid too much but couldn't resist simply because of the sellers great and frank attitude.

2x22

+1000

Buyers buy, and GOOD sellers sell ENTERTAINMENT. Knowledge of the product, it's features and benefits HELPS, but in the end, ya make a guy feel good, he buys. Ya make him feel bad, doubtful, insulted, etc, he walks.
As a former car salesman, sales trainer, and manager, I LOVE to be sold by a pro. I can see the process happening, feel the effects, and if the product or price are not out of line, I will readily "go with it". I bought a product at a motorcycle event, a real good eyeglass cleaner (paid like $20 for a couple bottles of the stuff before I was done), because a smiling, high energy young man did a good pitch, gave comfortable, personal attention, wasn't at all put off by questions, etc. (Honestly, this guy made ya feel like his mission in life was to bring clean glasses to everybody, and he didn't care if he ever sold a thing....) I felt like this kid was doing a good pitch and deserved the reward...... But give me a hard, cold, or openly deceptive or money-grubbing pitch, a nervous or jaded exerience, I'm history.......

I bet the seller in Hobie's OP was running scared, really DID need the money, and had thought all week how he was gonna put one over on the "rubes" at the gun show and clean up...... If he woulda just relaxed, rolled with the questions like he was teaching a kid who simply wanted answers, divorced himself mentally from the MONEY, and simply done the work, he woulda sold em all.

Rjohns94, Kee-rect! I frequently get calls that run from 15 to 45 minutes, answering questions. The caller may have bought or be ready to buy a $25 item, or may end up spending $1000 or more in the next few weeks. All I know is the guy has questions, I do my best to answer them, help him feel comfortable with whatever decisions he's making, and move on with my day. That part of the business is very much like gardening. Just keep planting and watering and don't sweat the harvest until it is harvest time. Sure, not every seed will come up, but ya gotta plant and water em all.....
Certified gun nut
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I just don't go to gun shows anymore. I'd rather do business here, my favorite gun shop, or with other friends. Nuff Said.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I went into a gunshop yesterday that I don't usually frequent cuz their prices are only good if on sale.
Told the salesman I waiting until next weekend to buy ammo, he still took the time to go over everything
he had in my caliber. I will be going to my FFL shop later this week and I know he has ammo in the same
cailber, I will be buying ammo at both places. I am the first one to walk when not treated fairly or politely.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I always try to be conservative, in my descriptions. I believe in Kharma, so I always try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated. I pay promptly and I ship promptly. I pack the way I would want it to be if I was the buyer.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Hobie wrote:...The seller then proceeded to give him a totally bogus story about the gun, gun history, etc. When the buyer called him on a couple of specifics (which could have applied to the sale) the seller became irate and was obnoxious. I was pretty much into the show by then and when I turned to look at the potential buyer I noticed he was tucking his cash back into his pocket. He'd been ready to buy and talked right out of it by the seller's attitude.
To paraphrase - snatching failure from the jaws of success.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie,

You're a MUCH better person than me. I generally call 'em on their stupidity. Maybe I could try the subtle approach... I'll have flyers printed up and when I meet one of those, I'll offer 'em a ground floor opportunity:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

When I'm representing somebody else, or might be, I just have to let it go. I've got a commitment to improve the bottom line, not kill it. The guy looked familiar, probably a customer at one store or another...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson