do you still have your first gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

do you still have your first gun?

Post by El Chivo »

(I do, but I was 47 when I bought it - a Marlin 1894c hardwood)
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: do you still have your first gun?

Post by cshold »

Yes, :)
Shotgun: 20 ga. H&R single shot. (11 yrs. old)
Rifle: Savage 99C .308 cal. (14 yrs. old)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I wish I did! :x
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Absolutely...At 12 my uncle gave me an old Columbia 16 ga. single shot. Extractor was broken so I had to pick the hulls out with my knife. Butt plate was broken. Only went off about 75 % of the time (percentage went down until I was flinching so bad I had to retire it.) It was too long for me to put on my shoulder so it rested on my upper arm when I shot. (which stayed a hideous purple/green/blue color all summer from shooting snakes)

It's in the safe while much more expensive guns are hidden in more vulnerable places. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I sure do. It is a Savage M-94C single shot 20 Ga.exposed hammer. Still shoots good and is in pretty decent shape. My parents bought it as a Christmas present. I was 14 at the time,that was 54 years ago.One of these days it will go to my son.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

No, I don't.

I had two first guns.

First revolver: It was either a H&R or a Iver Johnson's break top 9 shot .22. The extractor was missing so it wasn't functional. Rather than get it fixed I sold it. Stupid me.

First rifle: It was a Savage .22 Bolt rifle with a detachable magazine.
That ones gone too. Got a pic of it somewhere.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, a Marlin 22 autoloader. Dad bought it for me at an estate sale when I was about 8.
NRA Life Member
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I don't have My first Gun,don't really know what happened to it while I was in the Army. I do have a sporterized Mauser that I bought when I got out of the Army in 1968 ( $150 ) that was almost all My seperation pay. It was rebarreld in 06.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I've never gotten rid of a gun, except one old .303 British. My first was a Daisy Model 25 pump gun. My first firearm was a Christmas present from parents. It was a Stevens 20 ga. model 77C pump gun. I still have both.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes. Win 69A (.22) chrome-bolt ca 1957. Great gun--lots n lots of rounds through but still in excelent shape. A few years later also "inherited" my 2nd (while my dad was still alive), an Inland M1 Carbine he brought back in '45 from Guam in his B-29--found NIB in the base junk yard. Over the years, many thousands of rounds through and nary a hiccup.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Another 69A. Got it when I was 11. The 69A was used when I got it and it has been with me 50 years and it's still a tack driver. Got my first revolver, a Ruger Bearcat, when I was 13. Wish I still had it. Sold it when I went to college. I paid $39 for it and those things have since gone through the roof.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yes. I have my father's Remington 511 that he taught me to shoot with. The first gun that I purchased was a Ruger Mark I with the 6-7/8ths target barrel. I still have that as well.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Yeppers, a Remington 550-1.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Yes. I have my father's Remington 511 that he taught me to shoot with.
I also have my father's 511 that he taught me to shoot with. It's still the most accurate gun I have inside 75 yds.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yep, Western Field 550 (Mossy 500).
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yes, the gun on the right was actually my first. My brother had an Ithaca 49 which I sort of confiscated and shot more, but this was the gun my Dad gave me when I was 5. It is a Western Field 47A(Made for only one year...1937). Made by Mossberg.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sure do. My Dad started me off with a .22 rimfire bolt-action. It's a Harrington & Richardson Model 750 Pioneer. Shot it less than 3 weeks ago. I've had it for 34 years, and hope to enjoy it for another 34 years! :D
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Proud to say that I do...Christmas 1962 (I was 8 years old) the long narrow box held a Stevens 940A .410.....two boxes of 2 1/2" #6's and I could hardly wait until Christmas Dinner (lunch for my northern friends) was over. We stepped out the back door and dad showed me how to open, load, close, cock the hammer and then let it down. Two shots later into the woodpile and dad looks at me and says "do not kill anything you won't eat and don't shoot your little brother or yourself". Six years later I bought my first rifle with money earned mowing yards....a Winchester Model 190 . 22 semi-auto. Still have it also....

rick
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

yep,
A 1941 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Was handed down to me as my first gun at age 12 for Deer/Bear hunting in New Albany Pa.(Cahill Mountain)
Big deer/bear/rattlesnakes!
Still one the most beautiful places on earth(to me)
Gun still shoots very well!
Also, I still have the first gun(I bought with my earned money) 1973 Ithaca deerslayer
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I sure do, a Win model 67 22 single shot my Dad gave me. I also have my Dad's rem model 870 wingmaster in 20 ga. I used it more than him when I was a kid shot alot of partridge with it.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Depends on how you define it. First BB gun was a Dasiy 1894 "Spitting Image" that's still with me.
First cartridge gun was a Remington 581 that I eventually traded off towards a brand new 1976-production Ruger 10/22, but despite that, there's a 581 in the safe right now...
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Yep!

A Winchester Model 69, circa 1938.

I got it when I was 10 or 11 years old and I still have and I still love it! It is a tack driver and so much fun! It will get handed down to my girls someday... 8)
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

My first firearm, a Topper, Jr. Model 480 in 20ga, I still have. It went through my brothers, then their children and is back with me. It will go to my nephew's boys to continue that tradition in a couple years. My first rifle(I don't even remember the brand) a 22 bolt action was traded on a new Marlin Model 60 in 1973 that my brother bought from me and still has. My first pistol, a Dan Wesson 15-2VH with a 6" barrel, I still have, though I wore out the original barrel. Good thing they are easy to replace(I still have the original barrel, I even still have the box the revolver came in).
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Yep, for my 14th birthday, a beautiful Winchester model 64 in 25-35. I will never part from it in this lifetime.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nope, not even close, but you knew that :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I did up until a few years ago. It was a junker so I took it to the gun buy back program and got $100 for it. The streets are so much safer now thanks to the bright individuals who do such creative work in their Liberal think tanks. God bless these rightous saints. :wink:

I believe the gun was called a Daisy--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nope
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I still have my first rifle, a Marlin youth model .22 single shot, I'm not sure the exact model. My dad got it for me when I was about 4 yrs. old. My brother learned to shoot with it. My wife's brother and sister are 11 and 12 yrs. old (she's 23), and I just taught them to shoot with that gun. It will be passed down to my kids, and so forth.

I still have my first shotgun, a Mossberg 20ga. Heck, I still have pretty much every gun I ever bought minus one or two junkers I've sold or traded. Most have sentimental value and will never leave my possession till I'm dead, others don't have such a certain future.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yes, I do. Winchester Model 67. The ideal "boys" rifle. Single shot .22. Shoots shorts, longs (do they still make these?) and long rifles.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yep. Ithaca Model 49 .22 single shot lever gun. Got it for my 12th birthday.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I do still have my first firearm. A very late production tang saftey Winchester 94 in 44 magnum. Like El Chivo I didn't get a firearm till in my 40's.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

No mores the pitty, it was a Webley Scott .177 air pistol. Traded it on something, cant even remember what now, was near 50 years ago.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Winchester 94 Canadian 30-30, in 1974. Dad got it brand new for 100 dollars. I am the only person to ever kill anything with it - always been my deer rifle and will be doing it again this season. With luck, my boy will be big enough to use it in a few years. Thanks to this gun I have been a dedicated leverhunter for a long time!
Last edited by octagon on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Yes, a 9422 Winchester I bought when I was 14 years old back in 1987. I saved my $20 a day wages from my weekend job on a dairy farm.
I have since bought one for my oldest son, & am on the lookout for one for my yougest son.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes, K22, 1966,
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've still got a King single shot BB rifle my Dad gave me at the age of 4, that's 58 years ago, so you can see he started me right and I have been addicted to American Leverguns ever since. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Don't have THE gun but one just like it. a Remington single shot .22 with the twisty safety on the back of the bolt. I forget the model number. It's in Jr's closet right now. We need to shoot it some I guess... good idea.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yes sir!
A Browning 22 lever :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

Yes. I have my Dad's old Winchester Model '06 gallery rifle. He gave it to me when I was around 14 or so. His Dad bought it for him in New York City in Abercrombie and Fitch in the 1930s. Imagine that!

I'll take a photo and post it sometime.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Yes. It is a S&W M17 .22LR that was placed in the crib with me the day I was brought home from the hospital.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

yep!
Savage arms/Stevens semi auto model 87d 22LR
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, but it has changed some since 1968. It was once my Aunt Virginia's gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nope.

Had an ex-girlfriend get mad at me and she sold it (or gave it away, who really knows) while I was out of town to get even with me for some perceived wrong. Lost a Marlin 336, an AR15 carbine, and a little 20ga shotgun to that wrathful little witch :roll:

I still have the next one I got after that which was my Mini-14 (bought for me by my new wife.) That was 1982.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Absolutely. It was the first rifle I purchased as a much younger person. Its a Ruger Model 77 in 7MM-08. I took my first buck with it, and I am looking at the mounted head as I type this. I still sight it in every year and it is always ready. If it had a removeable magazine, it might still be my choice on opening day.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yes, Ruger Blackhawk Convertable revolver in 45 Colt and Legacy (Rossi) 454 Puma rifle. Amazing how many of us still own our first guns! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

NO! And quit reminding me!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's one of the .22's in this picture I just posted on another thread. Several of the guns belong to the guy who took the picture, but about half are mine. In the middle of the picture is a Ruger M-77V in 6mm Remington, that was the first firearm I actually pondered for quite a long while about getting, and custom-ordered after reviewing the ballistics of the various rounds.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Yes. A SAKO L-46 in .222 Remington. purchased in 1958 IIRC. It has taken everything from ground squirrels to deer. It has accounted for my three 'best' shots. A crow at 275 yards, a jack rabbit at 440 yards and a coyote at best calculation based on fence lines, 660 (on second shot) I have lost count of the 25 yard misses as they are too numerous to tally. All taken eith the little factory tw0 position aperture. None of the victims ever realizef that they weren't the victim of some 24X 'Super Whatzit' that cost more than the gun..
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

SFRanger7GP wrote:Yes. It is a S&W M17 .22LR that was placed in the crib with me the day I was brought home from the hospital.
loaded?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep still have mine. It is a Savage Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 that my dad gave me for my 16th Bday. If it ever leaves my possession it will be because it goes to one of my boys.

Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis