Who says they don't have big snakes in Florida?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Who says they don't have big snakes in Florida?

Post by Hobie »

Looks like they do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who says they don't have big snakes in Florida?

Post by TedH »

I heard they have big problems with Pythons people had for a pet and turned loose. I sure wouldn't want to stumble across that dude while out for a walk!
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If everybody would carry machetes and decapitate every one they find, it might help a bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote:If everybody would carry machetes and decapitate every one they find, it might help a bit.

Joe
I think this philosophy would solve alot of problems other than snake overpopulation.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Otto wrote:
J Miller wrote:If everybody would carry machetes and decapitate every one they find, it might help a bit.

Joe
I think this philosophy would solve alot of problems other than snake overpopulation.
:shock: :lol: :lol:
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Unfortunatly this is becoming a real problem in Florida. Many exotic breeds are now established in South Florida and their range is expanding northward. My friends at the FWC don't forsee us getting rid of them either.
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

From one extreme to another, This summer, I've killed 11 pygmy rattlers here on five acres. Never have seen so many.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I watched three one hour specials on the National Geographic channel the other night about Python's and Crocodiles in the Everglades. It was unbelievable how big both have become down there. There where some a whole lot bigger than that.

The said a big part of the problem was a hurricane several years ago destroyed a building that housed a bunch of these exotic snakes that were suppose to be shipped to a bunch of different pet stores. They all got away in the hurricane. They showed one where a Python ate a 7' alligator. And the belly on the python split open. They said they think one of the alligator claws tore the snake open. Tom.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... everglades
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Jp, sorry if I missed but re the pygmies, where's "here." .
Re the non-indigenous species problem, I've got a friend in central Fla who says it's getting way out of hand. A large-scale, concerted erradication program is the only way they're going to get a handle on things. Put a bounty out on 'em. Yes, I realize you're risking a bunch of innocents--I'm not talking rattlers and mocs--getting whacked. Nothing worthwhile, as they say, is easy, so an education program and set of rules would seem to be in order as part of this. (And we all know how we like more rules!).
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Jp, sorry if I missed but re the pygmies, where's "here"?

Re the non-indigenous species problem, I've got a friend in central Fla who says it's getting way out of hand. A large-scale, concerted erradication program is the only way they're going to get a handle on things. Put a bounty out on 'em. Yes, I realize you're risking a bunch of innocents--I'm not talking rattlers and mocs--getting whacked. Nothing worthwhile, as they say, is easy, so an education program and set of rules would seem to be in order as part of this. (And we all know how we like more rules!)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

gak wrote:Jp, sorry if I missed but re the pygmies, where's "here." .
Re the non-indigenous species problem, I've got a friend in central Fla who says it's getting way out of hand. A large-scale, concerted erradication program is the only way they're going to get a handle on things. Put a bounty out on 'em. Yes, I realize you're risking a bunch of innocents--I'm not talking rattlers and mocs--getting whacked. Nothing worthwhile, as they say, is easy, so an education program and set of rules would seem to be in order as part of this. (And we all know how we like more rules!).

Yep, if every snake species was targeted for extermination, we could then watch the small rodent problem spiral out of control.

I'm not the biggest fan of the big , nasty snakes, but if i see a bull snake, garden snake or common water snake, i usually let him/her go about its business
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

of course that's an old world snake feral to the new world.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Re putting a bounty on the non-indigenous ones that are a problem, while you're at it give a bonus for rattlers and mocs--"indigenous" though they may be. Got a rodent concern? Breed or transplant more king and bull snakes (help with control of the fanged nasties too) and "make them idigenous." Even if the eco-bio-herpatologist types say you're creating some other "imbalance" or other problem, at least it's a different problem than worrying about where you, your kids or dogs are stepping just going about your business! "Protect" the other (indigenous) "harmless" types (yes, I realize some of them raid chicken coops too)--either legally or at least by education of youngsters on up.

Later ED: "register" and train some bounty hunters. Give them GPS units. If they find a snake(s) they think are on the "hit" list but aren't sure or otherwise don't want to deal with, phone in the coordinates to game & fish or whatever agency along with other pertinent details.
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

Sorry gak, west central Florida, Rutland area.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

You are allowed to hunt them now.....
and turn them into boots, belts and wallets....

My daughter has one....its only 3 feet long....
not big enough for a belt..... yet! :wink:
mean little sucker too....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bobby Craig
Levergunner

Post by Bobby Craig »

Sometimes this is why things cant get done. Because when we come up with a good idea someone comes up with a reason why we cant do it. If people are afraid we will rune the good snakes then we need to licenses the hunters and show them pictures of the ones we can kill.

Once there was millions of Buffalo but someone was able to make money on them and almost wiped them out. Many other animals also became no more do to trappers. Alligators were almost wiped out and the Carrier Pidgin was wiped out and it was the most plentiful bird of all times and there was more of them then all others combined (I dont know what wiped them out but I am on a roll here).

If they really want the problem fixed then set a hunting season with no limit and before long none will be found. Why is it so hard to do something so easy? Its not like hog where people keep supplying them because its fun to hunt even if the wild life people dont want them on government lands. Snakes suck and no one will ever try to re-supply them just to hunt.

Heres the hunting rules.
1. Any Gun is allowed
2. Any time of day or night is allowed
3. They are in season from Jan 1st to December 31 (All Year)
4. There is no limit and some companies will buy the skin from you for boots.
5. To get a license then go to the local store and point to the picture of the bad type of snake. If you can get it in the first three trys then you are allowed to hunt them. If you dont get it the first three trys then go home and study and come back tomorrow and try again. If you cant get it buy the third day then you will be used for snake bate because your to dumb to used in society.
Have a safe and happy hunting season.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

I've run across critters like that in other lands...cobras, kraits, bamboo vipers and pythons...the scariest of all...to me at least...was the cobra; very aggressive and get VERY large.

i normally will allow a NON-venomous snake to go it's way when i find them on my property...but...when the buzz-tailed variety show up...it's curtains for them.

were i in Florida, or any other state where the pythons and boas are getting out of control...it would be curtains for them, too. luckily, where i live now, the rattler is the only venomous reptile we may encounter. the largest I've taken here was only 52".

domestic animals often encounter these reptiles unwittingly and sometimes suffer dire consequences.

here's one that was by my house not long ago. 11 buttons and 44" long. two .22 slugs stopped it "dead in it's drag". the pic was taken after the head and rattles were severed:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Bobby Craig wrote:Sometimes this is why things cant get done. Because when we come up with a good idea someone comes up with a reason why we cant do it. If people are afraid we will rune the good snakes then we need to licenses the hunters and show them pictures of the ones we can kill.

Once there was millions of Buffalo but someone was able to make money on them and almost wiped them out. Many other animals also became no more do to trappers. Alligators were almost wiped out and the Carrier Pidgin was wiped out and it was the most plentiful bird of all times and there was more of them then all others combined (I dont know what wiped them out but I am on a roll here).

If they really want the problem fixed then set a hunting season with no limit and before long none will be found. Why is it so hard to do something so easy? Its not like hog where people keep supplying them because its fun to hunt even if the wild life people dont want them on government lands. Snakes suck and no one will ever try to re-supply them just to hunt.

Heres the hunting rules.
1. Any Gun is allowed
2. Any time of day or night is allowed
3. They are in season from Jan 1st to December 31 (All Year)
4. There is no limit and some companies will buy the skin from you for boots.
5. To get a license then go to the local store and point to the picture of the bad type of snake. If you can get it in the first three trys then you are allowed to hunt them. If you dont get it the first three trys then go home and study and come back tomorrow and try again. If you cant get it buy the third day then you will be used for snake bate because your to dumb to used in society.
Have a safe and happy hunting season.
---
++1 Doesn't have to be all that hard.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm ,the biggest snake I've ever seen walks on two feet and lives in a White House on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC :cry:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, when I lived in northern Florida, I never worried about big ole squeezer snakes. It was those sneaky critters with the white inside of their mouths I kept a look out for. Geesh, at least a rattler "might" make a noise. This fellow did just before I would have stepped on him.

Good thing it did, cuz I'd sure hate to have been introduced to it's fangs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

Lived breify in Ocala Fl after I retired. Only saw couple of water mocassians when canoeing. Would have shot any pythons or boas if seen. Now I watch out for cobras and karats every night here in Afghanistan.
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14