Used Marlin 1894C info/resource?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Used Marlin 1894C info/resource?

Post by darkwater »

Is there a guide or resource in buying a used Marlin 1894C that would tell me for a certain year of manufacture if the rifle will have a safety vs. no safety, Micro-Groove vs. Ballard rifling, smooth vs. checkered stocks, one style of sights vs. another, etc.? Or does anyone have a general idea when the "best" years were for the Marlin 1894C as far as a combination of fit, finish and features? Was there a year prior to which cartridge feeding/jamming was not an issue? Thanks in advance!
Hobie

Re: Used Marlin 1894C info/resource?

Post by Hobie »

Look at the gun. You can see if it does or does not have the safety. Look at the stock, ditto. All those I've seen that are pre-safety are excellent. I've not heard a complaint about the post safety guns although I'd 86 the safety (and have). Are you looking for a particular year? 2000 and before subtract the first two digits to get the year of mfg. Frankly, you need to look at the gun for wear, finish, fit, etc. Oh and maybe to be sure it is d&t for the side receiver sight mount if that's what you want.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there darkwater -- This site has a ton of information. Get registered, log-in, and check out the reference sections. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Thanks, Hobie...unfortunately, there are no gun shops in my county...lots of FFLs and gunsmiths, but none that carry any inventory, so I'm stuck looking on Gunbroker.com, which doesn't give me the ability to physically inspect a gun beforehand, and a lot of the descriptions on guns sold there can be pretty brief. I figured if I was armed with some knowledge about what to expect with any particular production year, I wouldn't have buyer's remorse at least on the rifle's configuration.

Thanks, Wind...I did find that site and posted a question, but no replies after 74 views.

I'll keep looking around some for answers...thanks!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Unlike Winchesters, there are no real "break points" in marlins what will tell you about expected quality. Each is gonna be a law unto itself. The crossbolt safety is IMHO a non-issue as there is a kit to replace it with a "faker" screw that looks like it was born there. All mine have em. Jams can and do occur in any and all of em, and yes, they can be fixed before or after they jam. Microgroove will be marked on the barrel. Ought not be a real negative, though Ballard will draw more interest from the CAS crowd.

In the end, I would almost wanna advise you to just hang out here on this site a while. Somebody will offer one up for sale..... I've owned and sold a lotta guns, my 70's vintage 1894C is one of the few I regret letting go.....
Certified gun nut
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have 3 Marlin 357 magnums, C(MG), CP and CB(Ballard). They sell high and fast. The most illusive models are the CP and CB x 24". As with any used Marlin, abuse is generally readily noticeable. All three of mine came off the internet, 2 here and 1 from SASS Classifieds. They are all three very accurate and easy to shoot. I have heard of some having problems with the carrier, but I have not witness this with any of my many Marlins. I would not dispare about MG and Ballard. My preference is more in line with dovetailed front sights and no safety. I am currently working with the RD359-190 mold and having some success. Read up at Marlinowners for more insight. You will be please when you land your copy.

TomF
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

darkwater wrote:Thanks, Hobie...unfortunately, there are no gun shops in my county...lots of FFLs and gunsmiths, but none that carry any inventory, so I'm stuck looking on Gunbroker.com, which doesn't give me the ability to physically inspect a gun beforehand, and a lot of the descriptions on guns sold there can be pretty brief. I figured if I was armed with some knowledge about what to expect with any particular production year, I wouldn't have buyer's remorse at least on the rifle's configuration.

Thanks, Wind...I did find that site and posted a question, but no replies after 74 views.

I'll keep looking around some for answers...thanks!
I think you're asking the wrong questions. If you see a gun on Gunbroker that interests you and you don't understand something in the description, write me. As was pointed out, the year of mfg doesn't matter much unless that is all the info you have and you want or don't want certain features.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've shot and handled 1894c's from the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and past ten years, and like Hobie said, there were more individual differences than 'vintage' ones, and although several were ones with many thousands of rounds through them, they all worked well and shot well.

You'd really have to try hard, to find an 1894c that wouldn't work, although I'm sure you'll come across ones with some beat-up wood and so on. Stocks refinish easily, and I don't like the 'shiny' finish the factory provides anyway, so I tend to sand it off and apply some wood-oil, with maybe a touch of stain.

I don't think Ballard vs. Microgroove seems to matter except in theory, and I'd not worry about the cross-bolt safety. I actually prefer them, for when I come in the house with a full magazine to cycle through the action and empty (I know it can be done without the rounds getting into the chamber, but to do that I wind up holding the gun horizontally, and that's one time I like the safety option).

If there's a 'bad part', parts are widely available, most installable without a gunsmith, and inexpensive. I think the carrier's the most expensive at maybe $45, but I've never had to replace one. Bubba'd-up screws and one loading gate are all I've had to 'fix'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Thanks all for the replies...sounds like the vintage differences aren't enough to worry about like I previously imagined. I'll keep lurking around and see if something comes up in the classifieds.