Alaskan Bear oriented Levergun/'smiths and features?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnM
Levergunner

Alaskan Bear oriented Levergun/'smiths and features?

Post by JohnM »

Friend of mine from another board is making inquiries. The fellow already lives in the Anchorage AK area, and is not confident with his handgun or his skills vs Mr Bear[s]. So he's thinking 'rifle", that is easy to carry and keep handy.

We spoke of assorted Marlin .45-70's, and the main thing he doesn't like is their chunky feel and weight. So, informed him of sleek synthetic stocks, rugged after-market sights, action tuning, side-buttstock Pachmyer swivel for easy slinging and fast deployment, etc.

Mentioned Wild West Guns, Brockman, & Nonneman, but there must be some other 'smiths out there who also can slicker up and pare down a Guide Gun. As well, I really don't have first hand experience with WWG, have had a Brockman, and have good regard for Nonneman, but don't know if this is his kind of deal.

Any suggestions or ideas welcomed and passed on. He mentioned going to a friend's shooting range, and they both noticed a mound of dirt by the hundred yard target. Put a scope on it and saw a moose leg sticking out of the pile. As you AK'rs know, Mr. Ursus just seems to be about where ever you don't expect him. In such a scenario, I definitely wouldn't want to have to use a sheep rifle, in order to deliver a close-up personal 'cease and desist' upon Brother Bear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Alaskan Bear oriented Levergun/'smiths and features?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

my first pick would be...original
model 71 in 348 or 450 alaskan or
model 1886 in 45-70 or 45-90

browning and winchester still makes the 86

Marlin guide gun in Stainless would be a good choice
or
Marlin M1895XLR 45-70 Gov Lvr 24" SS Bbl
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A Marlin 1895 or a Win 1886 with the "Turnbull Touch"?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You already mentioned about the paring down even a Marlin Guide Gun.
Dont know how much more you can par down those little Guide Guns.
Why not have your friend get somthing on the line of a Ruger .454 Alaskan or 4" S&W .500 ?
Have him Practice a tad at the range and he probably will always carry it.
Better one of those on his side than the chunky little rifle away from his person! :wink:
Also one of those Freedom Arms revolvers in a barrel length of 4 or 5 inchers in the .475 Linebaugh would do nicely :)

Otherwise just carry a synthetic tactical 18" Remington 870 stoaked with (7) 550grain Brennekee Black Magics! (either with normal buttstock or shorty pistol grip, it all depends how much he wants to par down)
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... tical.aspx
Better yet, carry that and the handgun on the side! It will be the time he dont have his rifle/shotgun Mr. Ursus shows up,that is why I would have the Ruger Alaskan strapped on my side stoaked with these!
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok
(Directions: take one (more if needed)inserted into Mr. bears mouth and wait 1/4 second till it comes out his rear)
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:my first pick would be...original
model 71 in 348
+1 I believe the 348 is very underestimated in this day and age of 300 Win mags.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

I spent three years in alaska back in the 60's-back then the model 71 was the preferred levergun and accordingly quite hard to find for sale. From what I gather they are even more so with the 375 , 45 &50 alaskan today. As far as handy to carry the Guide Gun is about as compact as it gets in a lever. Another one that was popular back then and even easier to carry (imho) Was the Remington 600 series carbines in 350 Rem. but it is a bolt rifle. Otherwise for up close and personal the pump shotguns with slugs is an excellent choice for taking care of things that bite. I also remember a fair number of backpack hikers taking single shot 12 gauges and slugs along for insurance , also had the advantage of knocking of a
snowshoe, grouse, or ptarmigan off for the pot.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'll just note that the new Model 89 in .500 S&W Magnum might fit the bill ... smaller than an '86 frame, larger than a '92. I'm still not sure if they're delivering them yet but I like the look in stainless w/ 20" barrel and walnut pistol grip stock. Even though the pistol grip may have a bit of a tight radius as some have mentioned before. Base price is a little high but then again you probably wouldn't need to customize much.

Of course, there's always the 71 in .450 Alaskan. I like the Swift 400 grain A-frame at the top of mine.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

I've lived and worked in Alaska over the years. Live in grizzley country now down south.

Handguns are handy but not what I consider good bear medicine and I shoot a LOT of big bore handgun rounds.

Just bought a new "bear rifle" myself. Can't remember how many '86s I've had over the years but the one I always wanted and could never justify the cost was a Winchester EL.
Until now with the reissue by Winchester

So I have been shooting one for a couple of weeks. Even a Marlin Guide Gun is a PIA to carry around or very far compared to a handgun. The EL not much better but as good as any rifle is going to get imo, super smooth action once you get some rounds through them. Certainly not clunky or all that much weight. Pulled the tang safety and got rid of the rebounding hammer though and will eventually rechamber to 45/85/405s.

Shooting light weight 45/70 cal rifles fast and accurately isn't a whole easier than shooting a big bore hand gun in the same manner. Both take some serious practice and ammo down range.

I'd suggest your friend try a few basic factory guns and see what he thinks he can shoot well and then what he is willing to carrying in the field. My thought? "Yes with enough practice I can shoot a fast 400g bullet out of my 45/70 EL, but I'd rather carry a hot loaded 45 Colt handgun".

I own and have not used but thought about it...a Winchester 92 clone with hot loaded 300g in 44mag as well. I like the 45/90, .416 or .505 more as a bear gun. 12 guage in various actions makes sense as well. Benelli is a nice rig.

Might make a fellow reconsider just where he has to go if the rifle "is required" equipment for the day.
Last edited by RDB on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

He might consider a .50 Beowulf, if he doesn't mind the 'modern' gun look. The AR platform in that kind of useage should be pretty rugged when you tote it around and it may bang on vehicle doors, fences, rocks, and so on.

For that kind of use I'd omit the flash suppressor (takes better advantage of the short 16" barrel) and scope, and use a 'ghost ring' peep setup (sights super-easy to change due to rail on front). You could even use a 'shorty' buttstocked lower. It makes for a pretty compact and durable setup.

$749 @ Cabela's or MidwayUSA:

Easy to shoot quickly and accurately
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGVWuZpD ... re=related
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hey, How about a short light open rifle sighted double that shoots two 870 grain .730 bore Hard Cast pile drivers as fast as you can pull the trigger.Nice clean and neat with nothing to rattle around or catch on.
New around $299 and are as sturdy as old grandpas 1960s International scout! (Stoeger Outback,O/U 20" barrel)

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/popup_i ... pID=100499

Quote:
"Dixie will be adding the .730" 870gr IXL-DGS to our product list next month. The load is very specialized indeed. It is the Last Resort-Last Chance for all dangerous game! We have sent test samples to Alaska. The design was finalized by people that deal with potential dangerous game, not speculation!
The load is designed for the 18"/20" 12 gauge 3" cylinder bore smoothbores carried as defense. The average velocity is 1200'/" form a 20" barrel."
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Look for a winchester 94 BigBore chambered in .444 marlin. Handles like a grouse gun. Kills like an elephant gun. 8) 8) 8)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You're more than likely talking about a close range propsition. Nothing tha's truely capable is gong to be exactly short and light. Now, I'm not sure what the Alaskan regs are, but I'd look at a short barreled 12 ga shotgun, I'd prefer an auto, but if you practice, a pump would do fine. An extended magazine if allowed. And for Pete's sake, stay away from pistol gripped pump guns, what you gain in portability is more than outweighed in useability by a conventionally stocked gun. If you want to spend some cash, there are a number of good shotgun smiths that can build some very nice guns. Benelli's M2 Tactical is a darned good gun right off the rack.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohnM
Levergunner

Post by JohnM »

Thanks for the kick-ins. Will copy/paste them to a document and send 'em on. Your experience and advice will be appreciated in his decision making process.

Were it me, it would be simple. A Marlin guide gun with some aftermarket tweaks/treats and a 4" .45 Ruger Redhawk. Unless I could wrangle Mark S's 4" .480 away from him ;~`)

But I admit a fondness for .444Marlin. Had one of the first ones on my block, back yonder. Traded it for a fancy H&R Mauser Ultra [which were might nice imported sporters] because all the popular writers said I needed a new, improved bolt action just like that one! Didn't suit me, tho it was quality. Went back to lever actions, most quick. A 94AE in that round would be mighty slick.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

madman4570 wrote: Otherwise just carry a synthetic tactical 18" Remington 870 stoaked with (7) 550grain Brennekee Black Magics! (either with normal buttstock or shorty pistol grip, it all depends how much he wants to par down)
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... tical.aspx
this is the best answer yet.

for halitosis range, anyway... :roll: rifle range is a different story.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I personally love my WWG in .457 mag, with scout scope, takedown, kevlar stock, ghost ring rear, parkarized finish, and action job. I have taken game with it and it does very well on tough game. I personally can't imagine a better set up for the alaska bush. If I were worried about bear, it and my either my .45 colt or .475 would be with me. I go through phases and I have even tried to sell this one once before but it is not going anywhere and is in the not for sale category once again.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot