Dang the rotten luck!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Dang the rotten luck!

Post by jnyork »

My first adventure on GunBroker, found a rifle I wanted, nice Remington 722 in .300 Savage, used "buy it now" as the price was right. Same morning ran up to the Credit Union and got a money order, mailed it within 15 minutes or so. That was last Friday, the seller still has not received it, the confounded Post Office has lost it. Now I am out $329.00, have nothing to show for it and the seller is no doubt upset although I have taken special pains to keep him informed. Will probably get negative feedback on my first deal! Grrrrr. :x

Will go talk to the Credit Union Monday morning, see what I have to do to stop payment on the money order and get my refund, if that even happens. :roll:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Dang the rotten luck!

Post by J Miller »

It doesn't help now, but when I send money for something really important I use either priority with tracking, or certified with sig required.
So far so good.

I've also noticed the USPS mail delivery time is very inconsistent of late. Hopefully that money order will get to the seller soon.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

How far was it going? I've noticed delivery times seem to be longer or at least inconsistent lately too.
NRA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Lander Wyoming to Rockport, IL. I could have hitchhiked and hand-delivered it by now. :shock:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

jnyork....When I pay my water bill by mail its final destination is a P O box five blocks from my house...BUT, it goes to my P O...then it's trucked to a mail center in a town 40 miles away...sorted.. then comes back... Hold out hope friend.. No telling what kind of detours your letter will go thru.. I've sent at least 20 money orders in the mail.. they always got there... some of them got sat on for awhile while someone stalled me & took their sweet time packing my goods...but I always got them...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

IMO, if you are pressed for time or need a guarantee of delivery the USPS is not the best carrier.

Seems their "express" services don't guarantee anything with regard to when or whether it gets there.

I usually opt to spend a couple of extra bucks to get insurance, 2nd day delivery, tracking, and a signature at delivery.

UPS has its faults, but it has its good points too. They get the job done in the most of the cases.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Danged USPS lost my check and applicatoin for re-upping my CHL! Has sure made a heckuva inconvenience.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Late last year, I used the USPS Priority Mail service and paid extra for the delivery confirmation on a rifle I was buying from someone in this very forum. My payment was a bank check, so I too was already out the money. I have come to believe that paying the extra fee for delivery within two days was actually a hindrance. I truly believe that Priority Mail made the payment take longer to get to the seller. In all, it took a week, even though Priority Mail is supposed to be two business days. What is worse, you cannot put a trace on it until it is a week overdue!!!! So, tell me again why they promise second day delivery but you can't trace until it's missing a week???? I was hot. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fortunately, it did arrive, and I received the rifle from the seller. But, I will very definitely rethink sending anything like that via USPS again. Hopefully, your payment will reach its destination and you can post a happy reply before the weekend is out. But, for everyone out there, be careful about using USPS, and think twice if you believe using Priority Mail will actually speed things up.

I apologize to the USPS workers on this forum who bust their butt every day to do a good job. I wish every USPS employee worked with your dedication. Its probably not fair to condemn the whole system with my bad experience. But, it happened just as I have written it here and I am still a bit peeved.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

FWiedner wrote: , .

UPS has its faults, but it has its good points too. They get the job done in the most of the cases.

I have always had good luck receiving stuff on UPS, but I am 30 miles one way from UPS, doesnt make much sense to drive all that way.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

TedH wrote:How far was it going? I've noticed delivery times seem to be longer or at least inconsistent lately too.

+1 I've noticed this too. Hopefully he got it today or gets it tommorow. Took me about a week to get a letter/payment half way across the Country recently.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I did the same thing about 4 years ago. :x

Sent the check and FFL via USPS Priority mail return receipt with tracking and all!!! Cost about $8.00.
It took 13 days to get from Washington state to Wisconsin.

I would keep in contact with the seller and reissue funds if needed. I use Certified checks from the credit union. They can be canceled but it is a pain. :x :x
Good luck! :wink:

I have had a post card sent from 1 mile away take 8 days to get here and the sender was in the same delivery area of the same post office. It was a reminder of a club board meeting that I plain for got about. Hard to splain that one. :oops: :oops:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:
FWiedner wrote: , .

I have always had good luck receiving stuff on UPS, but I am 30 miles one way from UPS, doesnt make much sense to drive all that way.
Aw, c'mon. A drive to Riverton will do ya good... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Two word: Federal Express.

For sending something fast and sure, the size of a letter, I find them hard to beat. An overnight letter is not that expensive, and I've never had any problems with them.

Sorry to hear about the problems!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Well, it looks like I got lucky (no, no, not what you're thinking :lol: ) The money order finally received by the seller, only took 8 days to get there. I have learned a valuable lesson here, either use the ol' plastic or register the letter. Thanks, everyone for your advice.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Never panic on the US Mail until 14 days has passed, even with priority. The PO doesn't care on insured, tracked items until 30 days has passed. I had ONE of THOUSANDS of pieces actually take about that long but only ONE piece was SUPPOSEDLY never delivered (and I think the buyer committed fraud but can't prove it).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Since tons of people have a PayPal account now, i will offer to Paypal it and pay the seller's paypal fees on top of it --- this is if i want to expedite service --

some people are fed up with PayPal though, so its a good 'ol Bank check in the mail --- at least if something happens to it, i can cancel it --- never had to do that with a MO tho
----- Doug