NEW (to me) LEVER RIFLE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

NEW (to me) LEVER RIFLE

Post by OJ »

Lost my resistance and unloaded that Mossberg all in the same move - saw this Winchester 94 Centennial with 20" barrel (to go with my one with the 26" barrel) and dealer had no qualms about taking the Mossberg in on partial trade - I was honest and told him about parts failures - he was aware of the 464's woes and, as always, we are honest with each other and I got nearly half the price on trade-in. :mrgreen:

It happened yesterday and it now has different sights ( just happened to have an extra Williams 94 - 36 sitting in the parts stuff) and will zero sights Tuesday - smooth cycling and action and, while used, is in 98% condition - some days we come out ahead.

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: NEW (to me) LEVER RIFLE

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very nice
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

OJ,Good For You. I have been a Mossberg fan for the last 40 years. after reading You posts about this 464 and others I looked at them for myself,and found the one I examined to be a piece of junk. I am glad You got rid of it. now we need a range report. :) .
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Is it a 30WCF? I have the Lengendary Frontiersman in 38-55 I bought at a show for 325.00. and put what looks like the same receiver sight on it. It is an outstanding shooter.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I know how disappointed you were with the Mossberg but I'm sure you will get on with the Winchester, Good trade. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Thanks, guys - it is in 30-30 (Canadian Centennial 1967) and I'm eager to zero the sights - I'll report on it. Having this in the safe and the Mossberg out feels a lot better.

Got a good price on it at $395.00 - not as good as I made out on the Buffalo Bill one with 26" barrel - bought it new for $90 from my dealer friend - guess he made his profit on the 20" one (they came in pairs - 20" & 26" barrels) and wanted to sell the 26" one - he charged me $115.00 for a BL22 rimfire 22LR the same day (1968). This is basically the matched pair - only having different names for commemorative models.

Later -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

YOU did well my friend! :D
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

It sounds like you've done well for yourself, congrats.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi OJ,

Nice new 30-30 you have there.

I just picked up my Buffalo Bill and am trying to work out what sights to put on it.

Did not want to hi jack your thread so started one of my own regarding the sights.

I would appreciate your comments if you have time. What front sight are you running on the Buffalo Bill??
Thinking of putting a globe front sight on - what do you think?

Thanks, Pop.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well the new (to you) lever looks SWEET! 8)
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Nice piece.

I have never used the Mossberg lever gun- and don't really like the look of them- although the hardwood stock does not help.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Pop Watts wrote:Hi OJ,

Nice new 30-30 you have there.

I just picked up my Buffalo Bill and am trying to work out what sights to put on it.

Did not want to hi jack your thread so started one of my own regarding the sights.

I would appreciate your comments if you have time. What front sight are you running on the Buffalo Bill??
Thinking of putting a globe front sight on - what do you think?

Thanks, Pop.

Glad to be of some help - I used the XS white stripe 0.5" front sight - right height and very visible -

Goes well with the Williams FP94 - 36 rear sight - I've removed the aperture to give it a ghost ring sight -

Hope this helps -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

OJ, PM sent.

Pop.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OJ,
Thats a good way to deal--------with honesty--------that is sure lacking back here in the East.

I killed my first deer with a Canadian Centennial back in '68 when I was 14, and several more as the years went on. That gun would shoot 1 and 1/2" groups all day. My son owns it now.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

OJ wrote:Lost my resistance and unloaded that Mossberg all in the same move - saw this Winchester 94 Centennial with 20" barrel (to go with my one with the 26" barrel) and dealer had no qualms about taking the Mossberg in on partial trade - I was honest and told him about parts failures - he was aware of the 464's woes and, as always, we are honest with each other and I got nearly half the price on trade-in. :mrgreen:

It happened yesterday and it now has different sights ( just happened to have an extra Williams 94 - 36 sitting in the parts stuff) and will zero sights Tuesday - smooth cycling and action and, while used, is in 98% condition - some days we come out ahead.

:D
Being Canadian I would love to have that 1867/1967 stamped 94!I know they made a bunch of them and they are not from the greatest years of 94's but still it would be nice to own one. And really all 94 are good working/shooting guns, no offence ment by "not the greatest years"
I happen to like the late 70s Early 80s more than the pre 64s!
Deer season is only two Months away!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:YOU did well my friend! :D
Now there's an UNDERSTATEMENT! OJ, watch out... that dealer might decide to report the theft! Congrats on the new (to you) Winnie! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

The news is all good - I immediately mounted a Williams 5D 94-36 I had in the parts bin (noted above) thinking it would hold until I could get a FP 94-36 and - estimated settings - based on experience with my Buffalo Bill 94 - and added a better front sight. First 2 shots were 2" high, next 2 at 1" low, and last 2 shots in 10X with no windage adjustment needed. Don't need the FP.

Luck beats skill any day :roll:

Remainder of that box and the next box of ammo spent shooting - and hitting clods and wood pieces on the 100 yard berm - it was my day - even kept all the .45 ACP shots within the 9 ring at 25 yards - better than average for me.

Tough to beat a day at the range like that.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OJ,

You turned a sows ear into a silk purse. Way to go!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Very, very cool. Great purchase.

And a celebration model commemorating Canadia, to boot!