Wanna see a Marlin 336 Cowboy .30-30?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Wanna see a Marlin 336 Cowboy .30-30?

Post by 1886 »

Picked this up recently. 336 Cowboy .30-30. Nice shape. A couple of minor storage/pressure/ use dings on the wood and metal. 24" octagon, Ballard barrel. Possibly a Badger barrel? I will have to replace the Marlin stock bullseye as the previous owner drilled through it to install a sling stud. Anyone ever remove the bullseye before? I think it is glued in place. Any info is appreciated. Looks like it wore a scope at one time. I am the second owner. No shots fired yet. 1886.
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Very very nice! A big THANK YOU! :D Looking for pics for a long time.

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

It seems identical to other checkered 336 Cowboys that I have seen except for the .30 caliber hole in the barrel. 1886.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very NICE!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

:) Nice!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When Marlin first introduced the 336 Cowboy in 30-30 I wanted one. Before I got to see one the idjits discontinued them. I've still never seen one in person. Thanks for the pics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

That's a beaut, definitely a keeper!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Very nice! I'd love to have one of those myself.

Post by bj94 »

I can't understand why they discontinued them.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have replaced several of the bulls eyes. They usually are missing so no removal needed. I have drilled two out with a hand drill. If the guy centered the hole when he did it you should be able to just clean it up with a drill turning slow in a hand drill.
I have a mill but set up time is a pain and they come out easy. I use epoxy glue to seat the new one and file it down carefully and no finish is damaged. Have fun! :wink:

NICE RIFLE! I have been looking for one. :wink:
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have been looking for about 2 years. They show up on the auction sites from time to time but seem to bring more money than I am willing to spend. Got lucky. 1886.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Awesome 1886 ! :wink:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: Very nice! I'd love to have one of those myself.

Post by Noah Zark »

bj94 wrote:I can't understand why they discontinued them.
+1. It seemed like a winner to me, but sales probably dictated the decision.

I'd love to find one.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Had my hands on one a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......I think they wanted 600 for it and ended up getting the 1895CB instead.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What a corker, I am a fan of 30/30 but not Marlin but this one hmm :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Same here, they were a flash in the pan. Gone before I could get one. What a shame. I'd buy one of those new, safety and all waaaaay before I'd ever touch one of those new.308 things they got out now. In fact I just plain don't see a need at all for the .308 or the .450 Marlin. I guess the boys in marketing had to have something new to show off though. I mean the Cowboy is JUST a long barreled thuty-thuty with extra grade wood and excellent balance.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Update. I was able to remover the buggered bullseye. I thread the stud into the bullseye several turns and a quick, sharp tug with the pliers and out she popped. No wood damage. Now I just need to order a new bullseye and we are back in business. 1886.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D GOOD !!! :D
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

1886 wrote:Update. I was able to remover the buggered bullseye. I thread the stud into the bullseye several turns and a quick, sharp tug with the pliers and out she popped. No wood damage. Now I just need to order a new bullseye and we are back in business. 1886.
It's remarkable how many owners believed that "Bullseye marks the spot" when fitting a rear sling swivel to a Marlin. I could never figure that one out, unless most folks didn't realize it was a trademark of sorts.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I am big time grateful the prior owner used the bullseye as a reference point for the stud. Easy to remedy and no wood damage. I do not know if factory, original wood is still available for this rifle. If it is we are looking at about $135.00 shipped. Regards. 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice rifle. :D
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Congrats on the finest example of recent Marlin production. I have an original 336CB. At the time I paid $505. out the door for mine. I was thinking myself STUPID for such a waste of money on a 30-30. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!

The original 336CB can be improved on by the replacement of the sights. I installed a standard folding rear sight in mine and left the front sight as is. It shoots well.

I then sent a 1970 straight grip to Marlin for a conversion. I had them install the Marlin folder and the standard CB front sight. Upon receipt, I replaced the front sight with that of a Winchester Trapper. The rear sight sets low on the elevator and the sight picture is clean and clear. It shoots better than my original!!

As time goes on, I will also replace the sights on my 1894CBs in 357 and 45, all with 24" barrels.

I have learned that a few extra dollars spent on a wanted firearm will never haunt you as bad as the gun never purchased. If you find one, buy it!! You will be pleased.

TomF