OT--- possible new carry gun (range trip pics posted)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

OT--- possible new carry gun (range trip pics posted)

Post by Streetstar »

In keeping with the, "best gun is the one you have on ya" theme ---- the fun store had a couple of these and i bit. I had admired these for a while from afar, but once it was in hand, i couldnt help it. A "baby 1911" in the spirit of the old Mustang was right up my alley (minus the grip safety). I say its a possible new carry gun, because i want to put a couple of hundred rounds through it, along a few dozen rounds of carry ammo, before i will call it GTG. until then, i'll stick with my Det. Special.

Amazing how these little guns just drop in your pocket and you dont know they are there, however a pocket holster is in order to keep the little dude oriented in the right position. I did not opt for the night sight version, but the regular sights are big and easy to see for a pistol this size.
The grip panels will be the first thing to go --- they make me shudder, but alas, i haven't even seen the version with Rosewood grips, like SIG has in their catalog.
I'd say its the most "modern" firearm i have , so posing it against the computer seems fitting, but naturally a range report will be in order ASAP

Last edited by Streetstar on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--- possible new carry gun

Post by pokey »

is that the .40?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pokey wrote:is that the .40?

No, its a .380 --- my picture doesn't adequately show the scale. Its a "palm sized" pistol, even if you have average size palms
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doug,
Your Detective Spl? Me too. For many years I have tried to "get with the program" and follow these young boys with their auto's, but.........I can't get away from a snubby .38. I feel so "sure" with a revolver.

Like you said, "keep the little dude oriented" is what keeps me away from the small autos and the bigger autos are just that, big. I don't want to be fumbling around or feeling for buttons or latches to make it "go".

Of course, this thinking is for civilian carry only. Thats why I like my 642 or occasionally a bobbed DS----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Some of those new Sigs are known to have issues.

Make sure it runs reliably, several hundred rounds before you carry.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A catchy, industrial look to it...I like it 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Well, you are lucky that you don't have an HD model. Mine is heading back for the 2nd time with a soft slide, extraction and spring issues. If yours works great to hear. I really want mine to work eventually.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If it holds up even close to the the Sig P226 it will do you well!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I hope the darn thing works Eick -- i did hear about the issues with the HD models before i bought. As MrMurphy suggested, i do plan on getting through 2-300 rounds before carrying it --- if it works well, that shouldn't take long. But I consider it a "warm weather carry" gun. I love my Det. special, as it holds 6 rounds (same as this thing) and the cylinder rotates in the correct direction :lol: -- so i think this pistol, if it works well, will be a supplement to my current armory and likely won't really replace anything. However the similarity of the controls to the 1911 is what sold me.

I could not abide by the silver grip panels a moment longer though --- so that is temporarilly taken care of until the walnut arrives by mail. First range session will be this afternoon

----- Doug
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

In Wiley Clapp's recent "American Rifleman" round-up of a bunch of the mini-.380 pistols, the P238 was surprisingly disappointing in its ability to digest ammo without any hiccups. Actually, this was a common problem among all the models reviewed, except, surprisingly, the new Taurus TCP. I'm not historically a Taurus fan, but if I'm going to carry a little gun for bad times, I want it to work. So, for about $30 more than a Kel-Tec 3AT, one can have the top performer of the bunch. Just FYI.
Last edited by RSY on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think it's high time they came out with a micro Glock. .40 cal single stack w/ a 6 round mag plus one up the pipe.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I loved my Mustang...problem was that I couldn't shoot it well. Wanted to have someone accurize it, but my wife picked it up...shot it quite well and declared it was now her new carry gun... :cry: Still trying to figure out how I lost my new toy... :?:

I love those little 1911 mini's bet you'll like that one well also.

Ed
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I was considering one of those to replace my seacamp .32. I wound up with the seacamp .380 and I am very happy with it. Wish you the best of luck with your new carry pistol and I hope you never have to use it anger.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've gone back to my DS, also - after several auto's.

In re to "the best gun is the one you have on you", my DS has gotten a lot more carry since I started wearing ThunderWear during warm weather/short pants/etc.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Looks remind me of the old Devel's. Had one and gave it to my nephew, my boys weren't too happy about that, but he was a rookie officer at the time and needed something small. But what the heck, he's a good kid, and talked my youngest into a law enforcement career.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jeepnik wrote:Looks remind me of the old Devel's. Had one and gave it to my nephew, my boys weren't too happy about that, but he was a rookie officer at the time and needed something small. But what the heck, he's a good kid, and talked my youngest into a law enforcement career.

I had to do an internet search to know what a Devel was ---- very cool :o -- I can see your boys' point. I hope your nephew still has it :D .

some Devel's

http://www.novaksights.com/wayne%27s_de ... ection.htm
----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Streetstar wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Looks remind me of the old Devel's. Had one and gave it to my nephew, my boys weren't too happy about that, but he was a rookie officer at the time and needed something small. But what the heck, he's a good kid, and talked my youngest into a law enforcement career.

I had to do an internet search to know what a Devel was ---- very cool :o -- I can see your boys' point. I hope your nephew still has it :D .

some Devel's

http://www.novaksights.com/wayne%27s_de ... ection.htm
He does, and still carries it from time to time. But truth is if it breaks we have no idea where to get parts.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--- possible new carry gun (range trip pics posted)

Post by Streetstar »

So far so good at the range ---- just shot 50 rounds of FMJ (thats all i had light to do) --- a SIG detractor told me these things did not lock the slide back on empty, so i took the last pic as proof that they did . Obviously 50 rounds is not a comprehensive test, but after a few "getting aquainted " magazine fulls at the Shoot-N-C's --- i figured out the windage (actually windage was right on, but elevation was a small issue-- i had to hold 2" high, but was shooting at 10 yards) -- then figuring out how to shoot such a small firearm -- hand placement, sight radius, etc. --- as the sun started going down, i actually started to hit the area i was aiming at a little more consistently . 2nd pic that is ---- upper left corner has a loose group from my Det Special i was trying to shoot as a comparison group, but my ammo was inconsistent (2 different brands and i didnt want to blast out the carry stuff)

My range reports are admittedly a bit lackluster in the marksmanship department, but out to 15 yards or so, many of these are head shots, so i would say the little gun has accuracy that is fitting its design parameters and maybe a little bit better --- but i likely won't update until i hit the 300 round mark or so (or experience my first stoppage-- whichever comes first). Fittingly, a Rock Island 1911 i have as a truck gun still has yet to experience a failure. Still, it was fun to start chewing out the middle of the target once i figured out the little gun's particulars

----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats Doug! First 50 rounds and no jams? Sounds like a lot of potential to me! The June issue of Guns & Ammo had 6 of these on the cover with a story inside.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Streetstar that's a near perfect carry gun that you have there. I prefer the bigger stuff and use a good holster. So the gun is always at the same place. My first choice is the Para Ordnance C745 45 ACP. Very accurate and small enough for me.

This little gun works with anything I put into the magazine.

My other carry gun is a SIG 245 also 45 ACP. Works great too and is a little lighter that my C745.

The group with the SIG 245 was shot a fast as I can pull the trigger. The gun is reliable and very accurate.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Slimster somtimes I think we all see somthing and just think thats cool(I want it) :wink:
Since you have already bought it, check out if this pistol indeed does honestly have reliability issues?
If so take the loss and sell er(aint the worst thing in the world)Then just use your D.S. or get the KelTec P3-AT or the Seacamp!(dont know much about the seacamp but if Mike says their good,I believe it)
All I know is yesterday I pulled out my little P32 and racked it and fired off a quick 10rds(ext.mag)and they grouped a softball size group at about 25-30ft.Not a hiccup,Ok I guess.
Honestly, I dont know if you need 200-300rds through a new gun before I would trust it?
If I shot it say 50 times at a range (say all at once or 2 visits with 25rds) and it performed perfect, and then I cleaned it and shot 30 more from a second box on say the 3rd visit with same type ammo Manf/Lot# etc. that I wanted to use for self defense if it grouped well, maybe I am just dumb but the next 10 rds would be in the clip (with the other 10rds in additional clip)and she would be carried for CCW???
I will say if I am going small,I like it really small(like 7ozs)otherwise I will just carry my 21oz 6 shot .357 Magnum Carry.(and she dont have no 200 or 300 rds through er either)

Ok ----let me have it??? :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had mine for about three months and am getting close to 150 rounds or so.
I haven't had any issues with mine and I was supprised by the accuracy and how
little it kicked. I used to have one of those little Browning 1955s in .380.
I swear that thing kicked harder than my .44 mag. :o
Likes the Winchester Silver Tips the best so far. Going to try some Hydro Shocks when I can find a box.

I have an Uncle Mikes pocket holster for mine and sometimes I forget I have it with me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Madman, You crack me up my friend. I think your thoughts are similar to mine. If it cycles fine with various ammo, especially what I plan on carrying in it, then I don't feel the need to go 2-300 rounds in breaking it in. Deffinately not in a revolver. More rounds in a semi but after all these years of shooting, it does not take me long to get a feel for new firearm. It also doesn't take me long to determine if I like it or not. lol. I bought three different boxes of ammo for the seacamp, I shot two mags of ammo out of all three boxes. They cycled fine. grouped about the same. Then I chose the ammo I wanted to use, and loaded up. Each time to the range, I put a clip down range, and reload. Thats how I work the carry/firing/maintaining the firearms I carry.

Oh, by the way, here is the seacamp .380: Picture taken at my office desk as I began typing this:

note pen for size comparrison.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Slimster - that is good news on the range report. I wish you much success with it. Like I said, I almost went with one of those.
Mike Johnson,

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Neat pistol Mike.

One of the main reasons I bought the Sig was it fit so well in my hand.
I don't have overly large hands but longish fingers and the P238 just "felt" better
than all the other pocket autos.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

rjohns94 wrote:Madman, You crack me up my friend. I think your thoughts are similar to mine. If it cycles fine with various ammo, especially what I plan on carrying in it, then I don't feel the need to go 2-300 rounds in breaking it in. Deffinately not in a revolver. More rounds in a semi but after all these years of shooting, it does not take me long to get a feel for new firearm. It also doesn't take me long to determine if I like it or not. lol. I bought three different boxes of ammo for the seacamp, I shot two mags of ammo out of all three boxes. They cycled fine. grouped about the same. Then I chose the ammo I wanted to use, and loaded up. Each time to the range, I put a clip down range, and reload. Thats how I work the carry/firing/maintaining the firearms I carry.

Oh, by the way, here is the seacamp .380: Picture taken at my office desk as I began typing this:

note pen for size comparrison.

Mike, That is really one sharp pistol my friend! :mrgreen:
Though we think alike, your brain I believe is somewhat sharper than mine. Your a good man Mike!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:Slimster somtimes I think we all see somthing and just think thats cool(I want it) :wink:
Since you have already bought it, check out if this pistol indeed does honestly have reliability issues?
If so take the loss and sell er(aint the worst thing in the world)Then just use your D.S. or get the KelTec P3-AT or the Seacamp!(dont know much about the seacamp but if Mike says their good,I believe it)
:

Madman, early on, when these little guns first surfaced, there was some talk about some reliability issues and SIG did a recall over something or other. A lot of people said they released the gun about a year early and relied on the public to work out the final kinks :o like Ruger did with the LCP. But i'm not the type to make educated consumer reports type decisions on firearms very much --- i tend to "impulse-buy" quite a bit.

That said, i'll put a few more rounds through it than i would a Glock or a Springfield XD, but the tale of the tape may be when i actually shoot up a few JHP's instead of the FMJ plinking ammo i ran through it last night. Its actually entertaining to shoot as well, due to having "real" sights and having a soft recoil. The POI on the Det. Special is so far off, it is hard to plink with (although keeping it on Center of Mass at up to 20 yards or so is no problem, and admittedly -- its not made for plinking ) -- but this little auto is a can shootin' fool.

Then i had to spend 20 minutes in the dark with a flashlight picking all my brass out of the grass ---- i'll have to say Advantage: Detective Special there

The Seacamp is an awesome little pistol --- but the Kel-Tec? I have allergic reactions to plastic and polymer in firearms :lol: (with a few exceptions)
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doug,
That sounds like that little shooter might just work out for ya! :wink:
Keep us updated on how she shoots, and have a blast shooting it.
Good Luck Friend and keep on shooting! :)
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Just make sure you take care of the mandatory safety upgrade:

http://www.sigsauer.com/customerservice ... grade.aspx
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

alnitak wrote:Just make sure you take care of the mandatory safety upgrade:

http://www.sigsauer.com/customerservice ... grade.aspx

:shock:

Good Catch! :wink: